Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fast Key functionality question after remote start install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Key functionality question after remote start install

My wife has a 08 Outlander with the fast key, and I wanted to check to see if it is in fact malfunctioning after the unsuccessful install by Best Buy. The told me that the system would not work properly, and I had them remove everything and returned the system. I already read the manual, and it does not describe this funcitonality, but from what I remember: If you start the vehicle with the Fast Key and then exit the vehicle with the FOB in your pocket, the dash will show an alert that says something like "Verify Key Location". While this alert is being shown because the FOB is outside of the vehicle, and the car is running, it should not be possible to put the car in gear, correct? I remember it working like this before, but now you can simply put the car in gear and drive away without the FOB being in the car. Can someone else please confirm this functionality with their EVO X fast key please. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

With the fast key system, it only affects unlocking the doors or operating the ignition. After the car is running, you can put it in gear and drive normally without the fob in the vehicle.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

can I get a second on that please?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrMTB
With the fast key system, it only affects unlocking the doors or operating the ignition. After the car is running, you can put it in gear and drive normally without the fob in the vehicle.
^ this
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:23 PM

You can drive off without the FOB in the vehicle. Tested couple times before, so long as you can turn the car on, you can drive off lol
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

It'd have to be that way. If it suddenly turned off or something if it loses contact with the key, what happens when the Fast Key battery dies mid-trip? Just cut power and go "lol"?

They figure if the battery dies, you can always pull out the metal physical key and start it next time.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my old '08 lancer GTS & my new '10 mr wont allow you to shift out of park without the key fob in the car... moot point on a manual though
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crimson49er
my old '08 lancer GTS & my new '10 mr wont allow you to shift out of park without the key fob in the car... moot point on a manual though
Are you sure about that? Not wanting to pull out rulers or anything, but I do believe if I went down to the local Mitsu dealership, their '10 MRs would behave exactly as I've described. Do remember that there's an interlock between the gear change lever and the brake pedal...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:14 PM

yes, i know how to shift my car out of park donkey. if i start my car and get out with the fast key, the tranny wont let you shift out of park until it picks up the key again. i havent tried to shift it out of park with the actual key & no key fob though
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:09 PM

I have an auto start on my gsr and it works right. If some one tries to take of with it as soon the brake pedal is pressed it will shut off and dissable the ignition and the alarm will go crazy.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeAce
I have an auto start on my gsr and it works right. If some one tries to take of with it as soon the brake pedal is pressed it will shut off and dissable the ignition and the alarm will go crazy.
That's not his question.

My 2008 GSR will allow you to drive off in the car and go as far as the gas tank will let you without the key. It will alarm saying verify location but it won't do anything besides that, and if you fill the gas tank without turning the car off, you can theoretically drive the car for months straight without the key
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

My 08 MR... once the car is started up, even without the fob you can move it out of park!