Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Question about HFC

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about HFC

Right now I have the ETS V2 exhaust. Love the sound but it is a bit much and I think part of the reason is that I have a Resonated Test Pipe. When I bought the car it had already had the test pipe on it so I don't have the stock cat. If I put on a HFC say from Cobb would that quite things down? I know it would eliminate the smell. I was also thinking about putting another resonator on there as well to quiet it down a bit.
Does that seem reasonable?
Old May 14, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

That should quiet it down quite a a bit! Just doing the HFC should make some difference if you do the combination of the HFC and the resonator that should make a big difference.
Old May 14, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HFC doesn't do much. get another resonator in there. a basic muffler shop to help you out.

i like mine in raw form
Old May 14, 2010, 06:20 AM

^ Thats what I was wondering...I didn't really way to replace the TP with a high flow cat if it wasn't going to make that much of a difference in the sound area. If throwing on another resonator will knock it down a bit then maybe that is the way to go.
I agree...raw form is great...but sometimes it can get a bit drony
Old May 14, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I'd expect that a 300cell HFC would be quite a bit quieter but I haven't tested that back-to-back. I went from a 300cell to a test pipe and it was a huge difference. My car was the quietest Evo I'd heard with a full exhaust but now it sounds like an Evo. lol.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fasfour
^ Thats what I was wondering...I didn't really way to replace the TP with a high flow cat if it wasn't going to make that much of a difference in the sound area. If throwing on another resonator will knock it down a bit then maybe that is the way to go.
I agree...raw form is great...but sometimes it can get a bit drony
a regular cat would quiet it down.

there is a thread on here comparing all the decibel levels while changing out the various components. i remember the numbers not being drastically different. but this is forum talk. real world experience would likely reveal more.

i'd try getting another resonator before spending the cash on a cat unless mloker has one to sell you .
Old May 14, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dek, regarding the cost, how much does the Resonator option add to the price of the TP? The HFC only added 100 dollars to the test pipe price when I bought it. It is a 300 cel Metal core 3" HFC. The resonator will add about 50 bucks or so IMO, so the real price difference is only 50 bucks between the two.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

i don't know then.