Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Lights Randomly Turning On

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lights Randomly Turning On

About two months ago, I was spending the night with a friend who woke me up at about 3:00 a.m. and told me my car lights were on. They were definitely off before I went to bed as I was outside all evening where I could see it. As that had never happened and since I was somewhere new for the first time, I suspected that someone had tried to get into it or something.

Then today, I walked outside to see my car lights on. It had been parked for about three hours and, again, I was outside a lot to know that the car was off.

When this happens, the headlights, DRLs, taillights, and all internal lights are on. The dash display shows the key lock picture and the key chime was constantly on like the door was open while the car wasn't completely off. I could even turn the key to any position and then back to off, and it still wouldn't stop chiming and completely shut off. I had to start the ignition and then turn it off.

The only thing that was similar to the first time this happened was that I had made a few trips to/from my car. But these were quite some time between initially turning off the car and then opening the door(s) again to get stuff out. Has this happened to anyone? I'm lucky that people have randomly told me that my lights were one, otherwise I'd have had a dead battery. If this happens again I'm likely going to be screwed.

Last edited by harrytruman; Jun 25, 2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: speling
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

3?

Originally Posted by harrytruman
About two months ago, I was spending the night with a friend who woke me up at about 3:00 a.m. and told me my car lights were on. They were definitely off before I went to bed as I was outside all evening where I could see it. As that had never happened and since I was somewhere new for the first time, I suspected that someone had tried to get into it or something.

Then today, I walked outside to see my car lights on. It had been parked for about three hours and, again, was outside a lot to know that the car was off.

When this happens, the headlights, DLRs, taillights, and all internal lights are on. The dash display shows the key lock picture and the key chime was constantly on like the door was open while the car wasn't completely off. I could even turn the key to any position and then back to off, and it still wouldn't stop chiming and completely shut off. I had to start the ignition and then turn it off.

The only thing that was similar to the first time this happened was that I had made a few trips to/from my car. But these were quite some time between initially turning off the car and then opening the door(s) again to get stuff out. Has this happened to anyone? I'm lucky that people have randomly told me that my lights were one, otherwise I'd have had a dead battery. If this happens again I'm likely going to be screwed.

3AM is the devils time! Plus 3hrs later.. You're car is possesed my friend! What you need to do is give me all your aftermarket parts and I'll heal them LOL...... JK,,, Dude, that is crazy....
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:35 PM

Was it at 3:33?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Hl

Was the headlight switch on????
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by turpdogg
Was the headlight switch on????
Yes, but they went auto-off like normal when I opened the door. Still yet, if it were just the headlights that turned on then it would be something unrelated to ALL the vehicle lights being on. Over-head lights, door lights, everything in the cabin.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to my Girlfriends 08 Lancer which probably has the same control ecu . I was thinking it was the Relay but not sure . Now i wonder if that will ever happen without her knowing and kill the battery .
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Now i wonder if that will ever happen without her knowing and kill the battery .
That's exactly what I worry about. So far it's happened at times when I wouldn't have been entirely screwed if the battery had actually died. I start a new job next week and I'm a bit concerned that I'll walk out one morning to a dead battery.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try and go to the dealer and see what they say . Im not sure if i fixed hers but i did change out the relay and it never did it again , but then again it only happened once .
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

The head lights use the same crappy *** relay as the fuel pump.

Swap your head light relay with your horn relay. It should fix the issue.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Ghost maybe.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off topic a bit, but speaking of headlights, I noticed mine were going dim and then getting brighter several times the other night. Hopefully the battery is going out and I can get a red top! lol
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Again, check your relays guys. Methodical... swap that relay with the horn relay and see if it helps.

The Black Relays have been proven over and over again to fail. Next we will hear about peoples horns randomly going off. It will be kind of funny.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golden
Again, check your relays guys. Methodical... swap that relay with the horn relay and see if it helps.

The Black Relays have been proven over and over again to fail. Next we will hear about peoples horns randomly going off. It will be kind of funny.
well hell man, I don't want my horn to randomly go off... besides I don't even know what the hell a relay looks like lol.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

this happens to me all the time when you let the lights turn off automatically. usually it occurs when i push the key to lock the doors after i get out. i asked about it before and got the same answers here..
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 628
this happens to me all the time when you let the lights turn off automatically. usually it occurs when i push the key to lock the doors after i get out. i asked about it before and got the same answers here..
I always forget they turn off themselves, and just turn them on by myself.

Quick Reply: Lights Randomly Turning On