Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tread on only ONE tire gone??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tread on only ONE tire gone??

Ok, so I noticed the other day that three of my tires have about 85% tread life on them except for one, the rear right tire needs to be changed ASAP, about 10% life left........ This is about 2 weeks after my low tire pressure light went on, i checked the tires and they were at 25psi (yea I let time get away from me). Now i don't remember but that rear right tire might have been even under 25psi, I did not check the tread on the tires. Though it is likely that that tire might have been under inflated and that caused the tire to be ruined, What other things might have caused that one rear right tire to be the only one with no tread?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Alignment. Hit and curbs or holes lately?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Alignment. Hit and curbs or holes lately?
I mean, I actually drive the car, so yea, being in Chicago often, the car has seen its share of potholes and curbs now that I think of it. Guess I should go to an alignment shop to get it checked out.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Same here. Same wheel. Same problem. The finance manager told me to pick up the "wheel and tire" package, which I did reluctantly. I curb rashed that particular wheel 6 months ago and every 3 days the tpms light comes on. Call me lazy, but I had a kid and things got hectic around the house so I haven't had a chance to bring the car in to have the wheel replaced. I have to do it soon because winter is around the corner and I'm sure it will get worse.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
+1 on alignment.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by got_em
Ok, so I noticed the other day that three of my tires have about 85% tread life on them except for one, the rear right tire needs to be changed ASAP, about 10% life left........ This is about 2 weeks after my low tire pressure light went on, i checked the tires and they were at 25psi (yea I let time get away from me). Now i don't remember but that rear right tire might have been even under 25psi, I did not check the tread on the tires. Though it is likely that that tire might have been under inflated and that caused the tire to be ruined, What other things might have caused that one rear right tire to be the only one with no tread?

make sure you put on four new tires
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by dreamerak
make sure you put on four new tires
The thing is, I just bought the tires.......... I was going to replace just the tires in the rear with the same tire. I dropped a decent chunk of money into these and cant really afford both front and back.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

The thing is, I just bought the tires.......... I was going to replace just the tires in the rear with the same tire. I dropped a decent chunk of money into these and cant really afford both front and back.
If their that new then you could just replace the one tire as long as it's the exact same tire, check your tread depth on your existing tires vs. the new one. the thing is if the difference is too great you could damage the AWD system and that would be big $$$$. Remember the size tolerance is front to back as well as side to side.

Last edited by dreamerak; Sep 9, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
remember the size tolerance is front to back as well as side to side.
+1
Old Sep 9, 2010, 02:11 PM

If their that new then you could just replace the one tire as long as it's the exact same tire, check your tread depth on your existing tires vs. the new one. the thing is if the difference is to great you could damage the AWD system and that would be big $$$$. Remember the size tolerance is front to back as well as side to side.
U scared the hell out of me, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm worried!. Guess that's another few grand gone...

Thanks for letting me know tho. I was about to just switch the tires to make sure it wasnt just flat on air, guess its time to go to the shop.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 04:44 PM

see i had the same issue and i checked the alignment on a rack and made sure it was fine after i got hit and for some reason that 1 tire went damn near bald in no time at all. The only reason i really noticed was when i did a tire rotation it was so low, so it might actually be the front passenger side that has the issue. What could have caused it if pressure and alignment with an empty car is all ok?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 05:38 PM

good luck on getting it fixed no matter what the problem is
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where is the wear? On the inside or outside edge? If so, I bet you toe is off.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
where is the wear? On the inside or outside edge? If so, I bet you toe is off.
Oh no , wheres your toe gone to? Haha. Alignment doesn't normally just go out on one side of the vehicle without causing a pull (unless its in the rear, in which case yours is) Get the alignment checked and do regular tire rotations.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
Oh no , wheres your toe gone to? Haha. Alignment doesn't normally just go out on one side of the vehicle without causing a pull (unless its in the rear, in which case yours is) Get the alignment checked and do regular tire rotations.
It does if you hit something... or it has for me. Hit a little curbing on the track and knocked my toe silly on my right front. Burned up the tire something awful, whereas the others were just fine...