Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

In the market for an evo

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for an evo

Hey im new to posting but have been lurking around the forums gaining as much knowledge as I can. I'm looking to buy an '08 GSR and the one I like the most is listed for $29k. What do you think would be a reasonable offer to the dealer? I'm thinking 25K OTD and i'm gonna tell them either they can make that happen or i'm walking. I also want to know if there are any muscle car fanatics gone tuner on these forums. The reason i'm asking is because my car now is an '87 IROC-Z28 pushing about 450hp to the wheels. I want to know if anyone went from something like this to an evo and what its like going from a beastly N/A RWD car to a smaller engine turbo AWD car? I like my camaro and its fast in a straight line but what attracts me to the evo is the handling, daily driver appeal, and the technology behind it. Let me know what you guys think and sorry for the long post
Old May 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

I recommend you to test drive it first, and I don't recommend buying a used one to mod to your desired power especially you don't know the previous owner. Anything has possibility to fail like the powertrain and the transmission if the previous owner had abused it.

In addition, 450whp takes more than bolt ons. Engine problems caused by bad tunes or broken parts can potentially cost you a lot of money.

Imo, get it new.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Before the EVO experience I was a V8 or nothing, I now have 3 EVO's in my driveway. Great ****ing cars. Stock will be less trouble, mods increase the fun factor and reliability goes down A 400-450whp street EVO will be most fun. Once you go over 500whp it becomes scary fun. I'm at 542whp and all I can say is passengers get a huge shock at wot.

To truly enjoy an EVO I would also recommend it has the oem tires, other tires will drastically make her slower in the twisties.
Night and day difference if your on the wrong tires.
GL your never gonna look back
Old May 14, 2011, 09:18 AM

I went from a 06 mustang on the bottle to a evo x...will never look back...lol
Old May 14, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Muscle goes fast in a straight line - the Evo goes fast through curves and off the line. I enjoy it as a daily driver and the Evo's "fun to drive" factor is quite high. Sure the gas mileage isn't superior (which takes away some daily driver appeal) but it's a welcome trade off for the AWD, handling, turbo and more. Four doors is also nice to have....
Old May 14, 2011, 12:43 PM

yea i guess i wasnt clear in my OP. I'm not looking to get 450 whp outta the evo i'm looking to get (or at least not in the near future). I was just wondering what the change was like. My camaro was a mid 11 second car and it got 10mpg so the evo will actually seem good compared to that. I'm definitely gonna test drive I just dont wanna find myself bored with the evo because I want to refrain from modding it too much performance wise and maybe do more exterior/cosmetic stuff. My budget is pretty much 25k and thats why i'm looking at used.
Old May 24, 2011, 05:54 PM

25K at a dealer will depend on the mileage. You should be able to find one, but you may have to look a while. As mentioned, price is not the only factor. I would make sure the car was not modded or abused by the previous owner.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Given the 08 track record as the first X year, I'd suggest you take your 25k and (try) find a well treated IX.

However, not sure who said it early in the thread, but for these kinds of cars new is THE best choice....

I'm a new "convert" to the Evo myself, this is my first one. That's where my helpfulness ends, though, because I came over from Subaru which from your perspective is the exact same car (turbo, 2.0L 4dr awd).
Old May 25, 2011, 04:50 AM

If they have it listed at $29k and you offer them $25k they will more than likely show you the door.