Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

yes or no... sunroof and leather package

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes or no... sunroof and leather package

Hey what's up??
Im debating on getting the leather and sunroof package on my new 2011 gsr... opinions welcome!!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My friend has a X MR-Touring which has a similar interior to the GSR SS+SL...VERY nice. Had I waited for the 2011's I would be very tempted to get it. Really comes down to how much you like leather and a sunroof though

CONS:
-extra cost
-extra weight + higher center of gravity (leather, more sound deadening, steel roof, etc.)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

IMO leather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I know the seats can be heated and cooled but that adds unwanted weight to the car. Peeps on here also say that the cloth seats wear much faster than the leather. My car is 2 years old and they're still in perfect shape. You could always put covers on the seats to keep the wear down.

Also MO, I do miss having a sunroof but again the added weight. I think that it would be nice to have though.

Hope that helps some.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know the sunroof adds weight but if i were to buy an evo, especially a new one id want it to have a sunroof.

if the leather comes with it then so be it, itll make the interior look a little nicer
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

thanks everyone for your input.

I understand that it does add weight and its not like i'm gonna turn it into a race car... if i was, i would just buy a base model and gut the ***** out... but thats not the case... i do enjoy taking the car to an auto cross event and seeing my times lol
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
.... Another thing to consider. Leather can look dated very quickly. I was extremely careful getting in and out of my MR. By the time it had 8k miles, the bolster looked like there was a wrestling match on it. I couldn't have possibly been any more careful. Leather looks good new, but after some miles, it looks wretched imo.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sss package is kinda ok but you have to remember its hot as hell during summer and ice cold durinv winter so if you can take that heat n cold get it if not forget it...n when it gets cracked up you evo will look old
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

I picked up a 2011 gsr 4 months ago and purposly didnt want leather and sun roof due to leather looks abused after couple of years and all my previous sun roof cars i never used it, because in NY either its very cold or very hot, so heat on and right away to ac. But i defenitly got sight, sound, navi and aero pkg. I also have a evo 8 and that has leather, reason i got it with leather is cause i hate the blue interior just doesnt match with anything and i got leather just because of that. Yes looks new bcause it has only 2k miles

Last edited by 04Evo851374; Jun 8, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:08 PM

It's a tough call. If I were you I'd stay away from the nonsense navi and speakers. There are a lot of people on here who aren't impressed to say the least about the speakers/ navi.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

ANYTHING to improve the quality of life
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, the cloth seats that come in the Evo are some of the best I've ever sat in, hands down. Comfortable yet grippy, they are seriously perfect. And they don't wear at all. My car is already 8 months old daily driver and the seats look new. Leather will make the interior look better (initially at least), but the cloth seats are the driver's choice IMO.

I would also pass on the sunroof. Sunroofs have always seemed lame to me, like another pseudo luxury option that car makers can somehow justify charging several grand for. They have problems (motor breaks, tracks get dirty), they lower the head room in the car, they add weight, and you will probably never even use it. My last three cars had sun roofs that I never used so I decided against it for the Evo and no regrets.

My two cents.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:43 PM

I have a 2011 with the SSL+Navi and I love it all. I understand that it adds weight blah blah blah, but im not trying the be the fastest track star although I do plan on tracking. It is just nice to have and looks better, also I like the sound dampening, and the interior not only has leather seats but the center console and side door panels have leather and it all makes the car feel nicer and less like ****ty lancer interior

If you want a sunroof and leather then get the package, simple as that, dont think about it adding weight, if you cared about that, I dont think you would even think about that package on your car
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

after seeing the custom leather done on some Evo X recaro's in the show&shine section, the factory leather option looks like crap imo. and it feels almost like fake leather

wasn't really that impressed, and sunroof? meh. if it was some cool panaromic roof that looks cool sure, but it's a plain old sunroof - not worth losing performance to me

just my 2cents
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
after seeing the custom leather done on some Evo X recaro's in the show&shine section, the factory leather option looks like crap imo. and it feels almost like fake leather

wasn't really that impressed, and sunroof? meh. if it was some cool panaromic roof that looks cool sure, but it's a plain old sunroof - not worth losing performance to me

just my 2cents
This one is apparently OEM and looks fantastic.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-leather.html
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
This one is apparently OEM and looks fantastic.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-leather.html
up until recently I had an Evo MR Premium in my showroom, and the leather quality was nowhere near that. idk, just wasn't impressed

but then again, Evo inventory is getting hard to find at all these days. Availability with color might be the main factor in whether you get the option or not honestly

Quick Reply: yes or no... sunroof and leather package