Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ok ok please forgive my ignorance but,

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iowa999 does have a point. Perhaps I was a bit rough on the OP. I do apologize.

But seriously, this is how forums work. I also appreciate the post in my Recommended Reading Materials thread. I missed that.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to start with wikipedia and the Mitsubishi home page, not forums.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
But seriously, this is how forums work.
No. This is how this forum works. A guy who knows very little about rally cars would not have been treated this way on DirtyEvo. He probably would have been treated better on NASIOC. In the time it took you haters to reach the third page in this thread, one of you could have said something useful. It's almost like you feel guilty about wasting the potential of your cars.

Look at it this way: you all were quite helpful when someone started a rather naive thread on waxing, which contained errors as bad as V6 vs 4-cyl, but a newbie thread about rally cars triggers all this nonsense. Bah.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 06:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Pimping another forum on this one will only get you so far.

Not all of us choose to Rally-X our vehicles (probably because some of us understand what that kind of racing actually entails). I find it absolutely outstanding that you would dare to stand there on your soapbox, proclaiming the rest of us "haters", and then turn around and make the same kind of comment (after I had apologized, no less). You then pick that moment to continue stirring the pot in favor of your new-found forum (clearly illustrating your alternative agenda). Even then, the only piece of "useful advice" (by your own admission) was to visit said alternative forum. Did you provide a single piece of useful advice, in this thread? No. Did you take your time to compile the thread for new members to visit? No. Instead, you took this opportunity to attempt to steer traffic away from this forum and to advocate the usage of a much smaller entity where no threads, of the same magnitude in regards to learning materials, have been posted. It would appear presumptuous to call us "haters", then, in light of your postings, as that is EXACTLY how I would characterize your posts.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

The other thing is that we have all been there, making stupid posts as we just start out (well, some of us, at least). I can remember the early days of my car-building career in my old Eclipse 3G. I had no clue what most modifications did and why people did them. That is precisely why I created the thread that I did. I wish that I had been given such a thing when I first started out. I had no idea how to go about picking through the BS to find the meat and potatoes of what is out there for us. Everything is in there (including how to read a compressor map, which it took me a while to get the hang of, because it isn't laid out how I would have presented it in the books). I find that real-world examples will make more sense than theoretical diagrams, but I digress. It is simply logical to expect that New Members would want to read as much as they can, on their own, without being presented with a bunch of biased crap on internet forums. That is why I included the second section of advice in my posting. I have been mislead by "experts" in the past. I don't want for that to happen to new guys. I felt that a stern warning was needed, a warning that explains, for instance, the difference between real-world downpipes that are available for this car. If you need to feel catered-to to experience "welcome" on a forum, then there is nothing that I can do for you. I at least made an effort. I wish that someone had *****-slapped the crap out of me for trying to fit a massive stereo in my Eclipse.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:19 AM
Account Disabled

I'm pretty sure WRC is now restricted to a 1.6L engine.. get a mini clubman
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOUNDWAVE333
Yeah, I agree. The turbo rotary swap would be your best bet.
Only if its out of a Mustang GTR special 2000 edition otherwise a turbo rotary wont have enough to run 11s. You really need that American rotary muscle with some good after market pistons.

I could barely make it through that video without a feeling of sickness. Classic though. My friend says **** like that all the time.

To OP:
1) Read the forum rules and learn the general ideas to of how a forum works (most forums have the same basic rules/expectations though different member will react differently).

2) Chances are if you are new to cars then any questions you want to ask have been asked before.
The SEARCH button will help you get you where you want to go. There are tons of beginners threads for evos

3)Google basic facts about the cars that appeal to you and you will come off as at the very least someone who may be new but also respects those who have lots of knowlege about what you want to learn about (Don't go up to Chuck Norris and and say I like Karate, how can I kill people with it)

4)There is so much to learn about both rally racing and evos. Based on how much parts are for evos and research from every rally site i have ever looked at, the evo and rally should not be put together until you have lots of experience with both.

5) GO TO A LEGIT RALLY SCHOOL.If you can fork over the money it will be the best experience of your life and you will never forget it. If you cant afford it then unfortunately you cant afford to rally.

Good Luck and PM me if you have any questions you are now worried to ask in an open forum because this should be about growing the evo community not becoming like BMW drivers.

Last edited by dolson222; Feb 5, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bowrepublik
I'm pretty sure WRC is now restricted to a 1.6L engine.. get a mini clubman
P-WRC still uses Group N rules, so 2-liter engines are still allowed in that class. There are also many other forms of rallying that use Group N rules, so the 2-liter Evos and Scoobies aren't going anywhere any time soon.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

lol, I'll just help the OP out in case he missed anything.

The evo is NOT a v6, it is a 4 cylinder with turbo charger/ 2.0 liter

If you have the money *i can only assume that it can add up very quickly and is definately not cheap.* to go out and rally a evo, the try it out and Goodluck! I believe robevo_rs does rally? Maybe he can chime in.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dolson222
GO TO A LEGIT RALLY SCHOOL.
This. I wish that I had the time and money to do this. It looks like a blast.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

My $.02: get a beat-up Evo 8 or 9 (or old WRX) and rallycross it this summer. Forget rally schools until you've ripped around on dirt (safely) for at least a year. Don't get an Evo X to do this, as they are (a) much more expensive (both to acquire and modify), (b) have too many extra bits that isolate you from what's going on (making it harder to learn), and (c) are not as good for rallycrossing as an 8 or 9 (for a whole bunch of reasons). Ergo, at best, you're in the wrong forum.

Last edited by Iowa999; Feb 5, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
My $.02: get a beat-up Evo 8 or 9 (or old WRX) and rallycross it this summer. Forget rally schools until you've ripped around on dirt (safely) for at least a year. Don't get an Evo X to do this, as they are (a) much more expensive (both to acquire and modify), (b) have too many extra bits that isolate you from what's going on (making it harder to learn), and (c) are not as good for rallycrossing as an 8 or 9 (for a whole bunch of reasons). Ergo, at best, you're in the wrong forum.
this.

however, i cant help but to re-read the OPs original post and keep thinking that were all feeding the troll.

i mean evo v6? cmon. you dont walk into an evo forum saying they have a v6.

wanting to become a pro rally driver while youre already 18, in the usaf, going fir a degree in comp sci, have no previous experience, and think that evos have a v6? come on. not happening. pros have been doing it since they were in tgeir mommas womb.

i just fed the troll -.-
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

not to mention in his op, he clearly states the specs of rally then a sentence later says he wants to run a v6 for rally >.>
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ahayes04
Please don't try to insult my intelligence

ha ha. Too late.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

It's probably worth looking at the original post again, eh?

Originally Posted by ahayes04
I'm going to get an evo soon and I hate sounding like 99% of people who want one but I am interested in Rally. Now I am not trying to do it to become pro, I'm fine with the Air Force as my career, but amateur sounds like a fun hobby along with working with an Evo itself. I do know that rally requires a two liter four cylinder for engine size among other things. My questions are should I buy the Rally sport and replace the minor parts with Evo parts or buy an evo and swap the v6? Also is this goal even semi realistic?
"not doing it to become a pro" - excellent

"amateur sounds fun" - also excellent, as it is

"rally requires a two liter four cylinder" - not actually true, since Open WRC is now 1.6 and other classes allow just about anything, but shows that the OP is somewhat aware of how rallying works, albeit maybe a bit out of date and limited

"or buy an evo and swap the v6?" - the one serious error that everyone started jumping up and down about

"is this goal even semi realistic?" - the place where we could have done him a favor by saying: "sort of ... amateur rally is about an order of magnitude more complicated that amateur road-racing, but has a great place to start: rallycrossing" plus "rallycrossing has more in common with amateur rallying than autocrossing has in common with amateur road-racing, so getting a beater and getting into the dirt this summer would be a great thing to do"