Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2012 Evo X switching back to conventional oil-not true!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlade
Mitsu must think by driving over a line that is politically drawn it affects how heavy the oil needs to be. I mean if it's not the politically-drawn line and it's one that is dealing with polar-magnetism due to longitude degree, than Michigan and Minnesota Evo's need 10w-40, but those British Columbia ones...need 10w-30
EPA + MPG requirements
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by no-slip
sec 7 page 8 UNDER THE CAUTION statement fully synthetic oil should be used 2012 owners manual.
Thanks. Question solved.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: went in for my first oil change at 1500miles ...so the dealer put in conventional oil into my EVO X .. the service dept says 2012 gets switch back to conventional oil even though he doesnt understand why but he said it is what it is ... they are super nice to me from the first day i walked in to look at the car and i asked like 4 times in the past if they were sure to use conventional oil on 2012 and they always said yes so i didnt want to keep asking them to look into the issue which oil 2012 is suppose to use.

Since i get two free oil change. One from mitsubish corp, and one from the dealership. he said just go with the conventional oil change this time and use up the free oil change from mitsubishi corp, and the next free oil change the dealer is willing to put in synthetic for free.

so i am just gonna drive
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
There is nothing more to say to that.
If its free then must be worth the risk instead to spend a $100...

I am not sure you know what is a premature failure.

Why you get an evo if you looking for a bargain deals in maintanence?
but end of the day its your car so you do what ever you like. Just dont come back later like the evo sucks.... lol
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude take that crap oil out of your car. What are you thinking?

I guess if you dont intend to keep the car and just plan on trading it in a few years from now then you could keep conventinal. But this is crazy. Why would you not put in synthetic? The dealers don't know **** about these cars. Most of them rarely sale one as it is.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

I figure its a free oil change lol !! i dont think there is anything wrong with conventional oil as long as u get your oil change early before the oil starts breaking down when it pass 3000miles... since its was free oil change i think i'm gonna change it out around 2500 miles ... i havent drive agressive yet or start modding the car but after this free oil change i'm obviously going full synth forever

The original post was regarding whether or not Mitsubishi switched the service bulletin saying for 2012 Evo switching back to conventional. thats all i wanted to ask everyone but regarding people talking about conventional vs synthic in my thread. There aren't exact proof that using conventional oil and getting the proper oil change done at 3000miles for the life time of the car will still lead to motor failure...

I have 2 friends who also got EVO X and the dealer they go to gives them the option to just run conventional oil its 50 dollars oil change so thats what their going to do every 3000 miles. my dealer also gave me the option in the future oil change. The pictures are just examples of cars getting their oil change done at 10,000miles oil change using full syth.

I love this forum and the amount of knowledge I gained from it. I understand everyone on this fourm wants the BEST for their car thats why their on this forum. And i also totally agree running full synthic on high performance car. But wanting the best by putting synthic for the car doesn't automatically means the conventional are the worst thing possible. I feel that the most important thing is simply get your oil change done according to type of oil u use and driving style.

lets not forget in the real world there are people who never use the forum for the type of cars they own.

The porsche/mercedez owners in my family dont use the fourm and many many more owners as well dont use forums in general. AGAIN their oil change by the book is 10,000 or 15,000miles or one year which ever comes first using full syth. the porsche 911 turbo and the SL 55AMG are both 10 years old now no problems so far.

I just want to make people feel better that getting your oil change beyond 3k is okay on full sythentic. and if its conventional at 3k or earlier.

Edit I also have a E46 bmw 330i the book says every 15000 miles full synth oil change. I get the oil change done at 10,000 miles. on this car I drive it like i stole it, I've 87000 miles and so far and I have autocross a few times and the only engine work done on this 9 year old car is replaced a valve gasket leak on the motor for 400 dollars with labor. but even valve gasket this happens to all the 330i at some point ...
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Evo X switching back to conventional oil-not true!-567969_11_full.jpg   2012 Evo X switching back to conventional oil-not true!-567969_7_full.jpg  

Last edited by denlin68; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denlin68
I figure its a free oil change lol !! i dont think there is anything wrong with conventional oil as long as u get your oil change early before the oil starts breaking down when it pass 3000miles... since its was free oil change i think i'm gonna change it out around 2500 miles ... i havent drive agressive yet or start modding the car but after this free oil change i'm obviously going full synth forever

The original post was regarding whether or not Mitsubishi switched the service bulletin saying for 2012 Evo switching back to conventional. thats all i wanted to ask everyone but regarding people talking about conventional vs synthic in my thread. There aren't exact proof that using conventional oil and getting the proper oil change done at 3000miles for the life time of the car will still lead to motor failure...

I have 2 friends who also got EVO X and the dealer they go to gives them the option to just run conventional oil its 50 dollars oil change so thats what their going to do every 3000 miles. my dealer also gave me the option in the future oil change. The pictures are just examples of cars getting their oil change done at 10,000miles oil change using full syth.

I love this forum and the amount of knowledge I gained from it. I understand everyone on this fourm wants the BEST for their car thats why their on this forum. And i also totally agree running full synthic on high performance car. But wanting the best by putting synthic for the car doesn't automatically means the conventional are the worst thing possible. I feel that the most important thing is simply get your oil change done according to type of oil u use and driving style.

lets not forget in the real world there are people who never use the forum for the type of cars they own.

The porsche/mercedez owners in my family dont use the fourm and many many more owners as well dont use forums in general. AGAIN their oil change by the book is 10,000 or 15,000miles or one year which ever comes first using full syth. the porsche 911 turbo and the SL 55AMG are both 10 years old now no problems so far.

I just want to make people feel better that getting your oil change beyond 3k is okay on full sythentic. and if its conventional at 3k or earlier.

Edit I also have a E46 bmw 330i the book says every 15000 miles full synth oil change. I get the oil change done at 10,000 miles. on this car I drive it like i stole it, I've 87000 miles and so far and I have autocross a few times and the only engine work done on this 9 year old car is replaced a valve gasket leak on the motor for 400 dollars with labor. but even valve gasket this happens to all the 330i at some point ...
I understand were your coming from and I agree with you when you say people dont use the forum and they go by the book on other car brands.

But me coming from my old 2010 evo x and putting synthethic at every oil change, yeah i'm sorry i will not be putting conventional in here.

I got my oil change today..they stated conventional is what goes into my car, I payed to $50 just to get synthethic in knowing that it should be ran like that.

To clarify though for people that say it says it in the manual.
Page 7 section 8, on the caution it clearly states in the 2012 handbook "For better performance & protection use fully synthethic oil".

Doesn't state you only can use synthethic.

Curious if the 2012 come out of factory with conventional?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AFD
EDIT: Forgot about this sign hanging in a Canadian Mitsu dealership (photo posted 12/29/2011 by 93gc8jdm). At the bottom, it says: Oil Specs have changed.. 0W-30 or 0W-40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic is required for Lancer Ralliart and Evolution models

So is this ONLY for Canada? Why didn't Mits Spec the same 5w30 that is used in the USA? So folks in MI, USA that are right there by Canada use 5w30 per Mits but accross the waters in Canada they use 0w40?

Personally I think the M1 0w40 is the best all around Oil to use Period. May or may not cost a MPG or 2 but for ocasional auto x usse and DD duties on a stock or semi modified Evo? Its all you will ever need. The fact that you can buy it pretty much anywhere is an added bonus.

Jeff
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:21 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evos is always synthetic oil every 3500miles. The 10k or 15k mile oil change interval is only for NA engines!
Old May 5, 2012, 10:18 PM

Dino in a turbo car... really? Might as well punch yourself in the ***** and call it a day.

Also, someone did a test and 10k is fine with turbo and synthetic. I still don't go past 8k and like to do it at 5k if I can just to feel better about myself.

One more note. All dealers are scum. They might have social skills and be "nice," but c'mon they want your money. They screw you with "free" service because they may not even change your damn oil, and then by the time it does damage.. warranty is up. But now if you are paying for the oil changes then of course, full synthetic, every 3k miles or else it voids the warranty. Catching on. They are making money so open your eyes. Mitsu is going down and looking to pinch pennies wherever they can. They have had to close so many dealerships...

Last edited by jackburton; May 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by no-slip
sec 7 page 8 UNDER THE CAUTION statement fully synthetic oil should be used 2012 owners manual.
OP - have you taken your car back to the dealer with the owners manual to show them that statement? I'd like to see/hear what they say.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

I don't understand why you would even want to put in conventional oil in the X.

You just spent 30K+ on a car to have potential problems down the road even though everyone here told you to stick with synthetic.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

My dealership in Miami also told me about regular oil. I told him no way and he put in synthetic
Old May 7, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

I use sync in all my cars my 2012 came w / sync and it's staying that way !
Old May 7, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jackburton
Dino in a turbo car... really? Might as well punch yourself in the ***** and call it a day.
Not at all actually.

Quick Reply: 2012 Evo X switching back to conventional oil-not true!