Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2012 Evo X switching back to conventional oil-not true!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by denlin68
anyway its a ticket for a free oil change ... u cant "PAY more" to get full syth. its more like 100 dollars at the dealership for full synth.
buy your oil at walmart for under $25. take it to the dealer and they will charge you ~$35 for an oil change. shouldn't be paying $100.

But if you want to risk it to save $60, then everyone here should just let you do what you want to do. I agree with you on that.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFD
EDIT: Forgot about this sign hanging in a Canadian Mitsu dealership (photo posted 12/29/2011 by 93gc8jdm). At the bottom, it says: Oil Specs have changed.. 0W-30 or 0W-40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic is required for Lancer Ralliart and Evolution models

People keep bringing this picture up. Am I the only one that notices that;
1. It does not say what specific model this is for.
2. The "minimum" requirement is the only one that states to use dino
3. Why would it come from the factory with mitsu synthetic, and then expect you to swap over to dino for you first oil change?

Am I missing something here. He** I drive a Lancer ES and even I run synthetic. Not because I am trying to make it fast or anything but because synthetic oil has been proven to outlast and outperform conventional oil on several occasions. It would seem like common sense that when you add a turbo to the equation that running synthetic would be the logical answer. I plan on picking up either a Evo or Ralliart in the beginning of next year, and unless a Mitsu rep shows up at my door with official documentation telling me that dino oil is proven to work better in a 4B11T, I'll be running full synthetic, just as I do now.
tl;dr- Run synthetic in any motor that is not n/a
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just wondering if the 2012 comes from the factory with synthetic in it. Has anyone (with a 2012) ran a test to find out? Can you tell if the oil in synthetic just by looking at it?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mshilto89
People keep bringing this picture up. Am I the only one that notices that;
1. It does not say what specific model this is for.
2. The "minimum" requirement is the only one that states to use dino
3. Why would it come from the factory with mitsu synthetic, and then expect you to swap over to dino for you first oil change?

Am I missing something here. He** I drive a Lancer ES and even I run synthetic. Not because I am trying to make it fast or anything but because synthetic oil has been proven to outlast and outperform conventional oil on several occasions. It would seem like common sense that when you add a turbo to the equation that running synthetic would be the logical answer. I plan on picking up either a Evo or Ralliart in the beginning of next year, and unless a Mitsu rep shows up at my door with official documentation telling me that dino oil is proven to work better in a 4B11T, I'll be running full synthetic, just as I do now.
tl;dr- Run synthetic in any motor that is not n/a
Huh? Didn't you notice this in the picture: "0W30 or 0W40 Mobil 1 full synthetic is required for Lancer Ralliart and Evolution models"

Could not be more clear than that IMO...
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Answer_1
Huh? Didn't you notice this in the picture: "0W30 or 0W40 Mobil 1 full synthetic is required for Lancer Ralliart and Evolution models"

Could not be more clear than that IMO...
You're right, my mistake. But to run dino or synthetic should never have even been a question IMO. But then again, who am I?

Also, I think this is just a general poster for all mitsu vehicles. Which still doesn't make any sense why it would come from the factory with synthetic and then go back to dino on your first oil change.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry, I'm completely on the same page as you are. Running dyno oil in the 4B11T is a no brainer IMO.

And I'm 99% sure that you are also right about this poster being a general information. I mean, 98% of the cars Mitsu sells are non turbo so it makes sense to make general info about the other models.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

I hope this stops this nonsense about not using synthetic
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:55 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
end of story, synthetics for the X! closed.