Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leo_99
See this is the silliest statement i hear about these cars. As long as you dont beat on it then it is reliable. WTF?? I did not buy a lancer. I bought a turbo Evo X!! I bought it to beat on. I did not buy a Neon! I bought a tuner car. They are meant to go fast. It is a damn rally car.

At the end of the day dont offer a 10 year warranty if you dont plan to honor it.
Its never really good to beat on any car. But we can't really compare the production Evo to a Rally Evo. The rally car's have alot more money and upgrades then ours. Sure they drive them to full potential. but we dont see how much money and maintenance is put into these cars between races. Also I would think you wont see to many 100k miles rally Evos. Not without major over hauls performed and alot of money spent. If your Evo was a rally car, it would probably be retired with the mileage it has on it. You did buy a used Evo X with almost 60k miles on it. if the previous owner did the same (bought it to beat on) then you may have further issues occur. But you bought that 3rd party warranty so I guess you'll be ok for awhile. My point is Evo or not, if you beat on any car you will most likely have costly repairs as the miles pile up.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
/agreed
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I am not disagreeing with you. My point is they have the same chain. Meaning by me adding a 20 hp exhaust it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to cause that much load on the car that it can be used to blame the chain stretching. The FQ400 has the exact same chain and is 100hp more.

Mitsu needs to step up and admit they used a sh!tty chain. They revised it and released a triple liink chain 2008. This is the one they ordered me
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

I completely agree with you leo, they need to admit fault on this chain...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry I am not disagreeing with you. My point is they have the same chain. Meaning by me adding a 20 hp exhaust it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to cause that much load on the car that it can be used to blame the chain stretching. The FQ400 has the exact same chain and is 100hp more.

Mitsu needs to step up and admit they used a sh!tty chain. They revised it and released a triple liink chain 2008. This is the one they ordered me
I agree with you as well about the chain issue. Mitsu can be like that though. And this is probably a contributing factor to their declined sales and risk of pulling out the US market in the future.

I just disagreed about your post "I did not buy a lancer. I bought a turbo Evo X!! I bought it to beat on. I did not buy a Neon! I bought a tuner car. They are meant to go fast. It is a damn rally car".

I stated my reason above as to why I disagreed with that. But about the chain and warranty issues in general....Mitsu sucks with that
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:52 PM

All first year product is exparImental IMOP . I work for a company that does powertrain assembly lines ,and if you saw what I do they do at least 4 revisions on parts before final production parts are used even then its a coin toss .
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:01 AM

Well you missunderstand the beat on part. I just meant the car is meant to drive fast. I am not talking track and power shifting. I just mean it should be able to handle what i throw at it on the street.

On a side note does anyone know if there is a break in period with a new chain??
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Why is that honda has been using chains since 2001 and haven't had a single issue? I have a k20 sitting in my driveway with 240k on it. Solid as a rock.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Well you missunderstand the beat on part. I just meant the car is meant to drive fast. I am not talking track and power shifting. I just mean it should be able to handle what i throw at it on the street.
You might not be talking track and power shifting. But again, you bought a used Evo with almost 60k miles on it. You do not know if the owner before you was beating on the car on a regular basis. The previous owner may have not taken proper care of it. If you bought the car brand new and have driven it right, then it would be easier to say it has a defective chain.

I do agree though that since others have seemed to have problems with the chain and Mitsu has revised the chain, that Mitsu needs to step up and admit fault. I think I have proven how I feel about Mitsu and their BS warranty coverage.

And don't be surprised if you have further issues in the future (lets hope not), because you simply do not know how the car was driven and treated for the first 60k miles.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Kendogg
And don't be surprised if you have further issues in the future (lets hope not), because you simply do not know how the car was driven and treated for the first 60k miles.
This... I've seen Evo owners do crazzzzzy things. Jumping their cars over tracks, throwing them into the ditch to rail a corner, revving out to 8k at every light to two step. These things add up to problems for the next owner. This is mainly why I swore to only buy new Evos / performance cars from here on out.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
This... I've seen Evo owners do crazzzzzy things. Jumping their cars over tracks, throwing them into the ditch to rail a corner, revving out to 8k at every light to two step. These things add up to problems for the next owner. This is mainly why I swore to only buy new Evos / performance cars from here on out.
And that is also why, for me, a new Evo was the only acceptable Evo. I think a used Evo runs a higher risk of ownership than the average car out there. And I see how some people treat these cars. For me paying the higher amount for a new one is worth it. I treat my cars right and believe the Evo is a solid car if it is treated properly.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:17 AM

Dealers service departments will always try to deny warranty if they suspect you abused the car especially if you are young looking male.

I wonder what they would say if some huge 400lb+ driver brought in a Evo for warranty. The engine was strained unnecessarily due to the extra load?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdm sam
Dealers service departments will always try to deny warranty if they suspect you abused the car especially if you are young looking male.

I wonder what they would say if some huge 400lb+ driver brought in a Evo for warranty. The engine was strained unnecessarily due to the extra load?
Well I'm close to that weight. But I have been told I am a little intimidating. They try to feed me some BS like that and they will find my 300lb+ a$$ sitting on their face
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Oh, and in case the first half of my post above is too subtle for you: I'm calling BS on just about all of you. If you go to the official Mitsu site, you will see that the entire 5/60 powertrain warranty on an 2008 Evolution transfers to any and all subsequent owners. In fact, every aspect of the warranty on a 2008 Evolution transfers.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...te/warranty.do

So, yes, you are correct that Mitsu doesn't have to do squat for the OP, but it's not for the reason you all are giving: the reason that he's SOL with regard to Mitsu is that the car has 81k on it.
I had no issue with getting my t-case warrantied, and I was the second owner. But at 81k, there's no warranty on anything. If you bought a 3rd party warranty then maybe, but that usually requires the car to be under factory warranty for a bit i think. Maybe they lied to you? You can usually cancel the warranty and get a pro-rated return.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:56 AM

regarding the catalytic converter installation... it is an aftermarket repair part that was installed on your vehicle when the original factory catalytic converter failed. this is a necessary repair and does not void any warranty. you cannot be required to install the oem part.

Quick Reply: Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty