Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rattling sound coming from rear end when hitting bumps

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest it is not the strut cover. The amount of deflection required to make a noise you could hear would be considerable. Can you identify whether it is a left or right rear wheel? How many miles on the car? that might help identify which part may be worn and ready for replacement. does it do it with passengers in the car? How big a noise? How big a bump is required? etc.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I all have to same issue and I purchased the perrin sway and links but the sound is still there but only over bumps.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flyinmonkey101
Bump...trying to resolve this.
Answering the question about whether your swaybar is centered would have been, IMO, a better way to bump the thread.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Answering the question about whether your swaybar is centered would have been, IMO, a better way to bump the thread.
Sorry, I dont know if it is or not. I need to take another look.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
I suggest it is not the strut cover. The amount of deflection required to make a noise you could hear would be considerable. Can you identify whether it is a left or right rear wheel? How many miles on the car? that might help identify which part may be worn and ready for replacement. does it do it with passengers in the car? How big a noise? How big a bump is required? etc.
It seems to be the right rear. I can here it most when im driving next to a curb or a guard rail where the sound can reflect back. There are about 54K miles on the car. It does it with just me in the car, not sure if it would do it with passengers in the back. The noise is not ridiculous, just annoying and I want to make sure there is not a problem. Bump wise... I would say small to moderate bumps would make it do it. I have the OEM sway bar and end links, OEM struts with Swift springs, Recently replaced OEM Brembos. Also, I noticed it start on the way home from an autocross which is why I agreed it could be the sway bar or end links but now im not so sure.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

no signs of rubbige in the wheel well area? hows your wheel bearings?
is this noise only from hitting small bumps or can u hear it if you shift it hard too?
Old May 1, 2012, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still going to bet end link.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
no signs of rubbige in the wheel well area? hows your wheel bearings?
is this noise only from hitting small bumps or can u hear it if you shift it hard too?

I dont have any rubbing, my fenders are rolled and pulled. My wheel bearing, i have no idea. I would assume its fine since i dont feel or hear any vibration. I cant hear it when i shift hard because my exhaust is way louder than the noise.
Old May 1, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

The AYC pump is in the right rear. Get under there and see if anything is loose. Oh, and either take a picture of or closely look at the sway bar while you're under there. tee hee

Also in the right rear are the tools in the trunk. They can jump around on bumps, too.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The AYC pump is in the right rear. Get under there and see if anything is loose. Oh, and either take a picture of or closely look at the sway bar while you're under there. tee hee

Also in the right rear are the tools in the trunk. They can jump around on bumps, too.
I looked at the sawy bar last night and it looks to be centered. Actually doesnt look like it can move at all as the bends are immediately after the bushings. The tools are a thought but its definately coming from outside the car. Is the pump behind the rear bumper by the wheel well?
Old May 1, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yes. The AYC pump is that large box between the right rear wheel and the tail. (The box in the left rear is the EVAP canister.)
Old May 2, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Apparently all my yanking and wiggling solved my problem. Drove the car yesterday and didnt hear the noise anymore. Oddly enough i think it may have been the strut cover because I was pulling it down and messing with it a little bit when i was under there. Thats the only thing i can think it was.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm, I have a similar bump rattle, on Eibach Prokits with the stock Bilsteins. Also have the Whiteline sway bars and end links.

I'll start by putting the tools in the back seat and see if that stops it. =]
Old May 3, 2012, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bradpitt21164
I havent been able to find anything
You mean on my issue? Or what WAS my issue... Funny thing though...My FJ started to something very similar right after the Evo started doing it. I think its something on the interior though.