Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Possible new Evo owner. Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khmerguyx
Trying to build up stats maybe lol
that's why I wondering what he's selling.

Back on topic:
I don't think the GSR's weak point is the TC, the block will go before the TC. The GSR trans, tc and diffs are good for another few hundred horsepower over the block.

Then again, I'm sure someone can break a stock trans, tc and diff if they are trying to break something
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Get an evo.
STi's are nice, but it looks like subaru hasn't fixed the ringland issue yet, even on 2012 sti. I know at least 3 people with 08+ STIs who had ringland disasters on modded STis around 300/330 level.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:31 PM

Ive driven an STi...an VIII...and I own a X. Ill agree that the VIII/IX 4G63 is bulletproof and the X needs motor work to achieve higher HP goals. You stated you arent looking for the moon and that 350hp would float your boat. The interior of the X by far blows the VIII/IX interior away IMO. Ive got the SSS and Nav options and would not trade it for anything. The seats I feel are much more comfortable/supportive and the rest of the interior makes me feel like I paid hard earned money for a car and actually got close to what I paid for.

My friend (who is a Suby tech) has an 06 TR WRX with all the mods to turn it into an STi. He loves his car and I will admit I dont mind driving it when we take his car places. It makes good power (as you know they can) but again I go back to the luxury of the X interior. Its the most comfortable IMO...and what is the point of owning a very nice fast car that doesnt have the amenities of some cars 3/4 of the price

(please no hate posts...Im not looking for a "you offended me cause I have a VIII/IX" pissing match...the man asked for opinions and Im giving mine)
Old Aug 4, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Evo X GSR unless the IX is really clean. STi is nice and so is the MR, but the GSR is probably your best choice. BTW, the 5 speed is one of the strengths of the car. It was designed for punishment.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 06:25 PM

Yea I agree.. It depends on what you want.. MR if you're getting a daily..GSR if you want a little more power..IX if you want a lot of power...a clean one will be hard to find these days though..
Old Aug 5, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

For GSR: Clutch master cylinder is the weakest link.

Anyway, I never regret the decision on getting the MR, here are the reason why.

-MR shifts faster than I can, and almost 90% of the time I stayed in Normal mode.

-When trying to get past some "Occupy left lane" people, I simply switch to Sport mode and blast through.

-Launch Control is alright.

-I've autocrossed afew times, never had any cooling problem, but it's not a bad idea to upgrade to SSP Trans cooler.

-Transmission fluid change used to be expensive, but now you can buy the same thing cheaper. (Check SST forum)

-Making around 330 whp with basic bolt-ons.

-S-Sport Mode that will blow your mind.

I got my car since 2010 and I've put 43k miles on it already, loving every moment of it.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Do keep in mind that the "weak" plastic clutch master cylinder in the X GSR doesn't normally just break unless abused or you are running a much stronger clutch. There's plenty of 400AWHP GSRs that are running a stock CMC and stock clutch.
Beefy aftermarket metal CMCs are only $200 too.

And on the MR, there are good oil cooler upgrades for $500.

The MR is technically a smidge faster on the track I think compared to the GSR due to lightning fast shifts, and I suppose nicer to drive in traffic, but I just like the control of a manual gearbox so I went with a GSR. I actually love shifting still, and I'm 36. Not some young kid that thinks it's cool.

So again it's really what just feels right to you. The minor problems can be fixed. At your 350AWHP/TQ levels, that'll put you around EvoFQ400 (european 400HP @crank model) ratings. And those do 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds. You can get an X there with minimal mods/cost.

Last edited by digitalskillz; Aug 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 08:23 AM

I recently went from a 2008 STI to an Evo MR. I have found that Evo parts are less expensive than the STI parts, and the stock short block can handle more power than the stock STI short block. The Evo engine bay looks comparatively easier to work on. I just got the Evo so I can't comment on reliability but I will say the STI was bulletproof in terms of reliability. Obviously, this depends on many factors including tune and build quality, however the stock STI parts were very solid.