Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Which car would you get - Evo X, Lexus GS350 FSport, BMW 535, or Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would look at the highest trim Evo available (leather, roof, etc.) if you can find one local... but from what you're saying, I'd say the S4 might be a better choice.

My brother owned an S5 for a while, and although the power probably could have been a little better for the price tag, the fit & finish of the car was just amazing. The car was still very quick and fun to drive... quiet and refined, but mean when you stomped on it. I've been in an IS350 (not a GS, and not a F), and it was really, really nice... but it's definitely another step "away" from pure performance than the S4. That's why I'd recommend that.

The 535 is meh. Seems like everyone has one, although I can't say I've even been inside or driven one.

I would love to tell you to get an Evo, but it's not a cruiser; it's car that demands to be driven. The dash and interior materials are one of the first things that all the magazines ding... so if you're looking for that level of luxury, you're not getting it with a Mitsu. As someone else pointed out, you buy the Evo for what's under the hood, the amazing AWD and handling, and the potential power. And P.S. you'll get waaaaay better service at a real luxury line; Mitsu service blows on average.

Good luck in your search.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:01 PM
ryn

I would choose the Lexus for comfort
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Somebody needs to show me the rule book that says 38 is too old for an Evo! Im 42 and I just got mine 8 months ago and not the grandpa MR either. My Evo doesn't shift for me. I have had the BMW 1 through the 550 and I will still take the Evo. I have owned two Range Rovers and a Discovery. Still love the Evo. Girlfriend had the 911, two different boxters, Lexus ls and gs (yawn but beautiful navs) a couple Mercedes and I still love my Evo.

BUT that's me. I don't think anybody can answer that question for you. Just test drive. We all have differnt wants. Me, I love the solid ride of the Evo. When I see people whining about tire noise, daily driving problems, wind noise, gas mileage and the "cheap" interior I think to myself they remind me of a specific part of the female body. Tires too loud? Get a louder exhaust. Interior looks cheap? Drive faster, it's a scientific fact that the faster you go the less you look at the interior of your car. Wind noise? Drive with your windows open, then it's expected to be noisy. Gas mileage? Get a Prius with a license plate that says "TOOL"!!! You may be the opposite of me and other people recomendeding cars. Only way to know is test drive.

And whatever you do, don't fall for societies rules of who you are supposed to be and what age you are supposed to be it. Do what you want. People at work always say to me "you know you are 42" when they see my car. I always get last laugh by offering to drive to lunch and taking my favorite on ramp. And right at the point they start to scream like a little girl I say "you know you are a man, right?"
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

s4 hands down. the 535 and gs shouldnt even be compaired to the evo and s4 and for the money the X is just an inferior car to the s4.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Evo X MR Touring...you'll love it. Leather, sunroof, no big wing, more compliant suspension, extra sound deadening, etc.
+1 What he said.

I have the EVO MR-T. I'm 43 now. Have 60K miles on it. Taken several 1000 plus mile trips in it with the family. It holds lots of luggage ( enough for a 10 day trip with 4 )

Mine has full leather, heated seats, auto headlights, auto windshield wipers, power everything. Its quiet and cruises at 80 to 85 well under 4000 RPM ( I have the 6 speed SST ) I daily drive it for work, errands, trips and everything else.

It makes over 450 HP to the wheels so it will kick the **** out of just about anything else on the road.

Without the big wing I don't look like a teenager and the cops don't jack with me.

Its full of win.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove a 335xi and in most aspects I preferred it to the Evo, but all the interior doodads aren't appealing to me so I couldn't justify the extra 20k. If you want all that "luxury" goodness, the BMW is competitive with the Evo in performance (the 535 certainly won't handle like an Evo, but it's not a slow car).

The GS350 (which I've ridden along in but not driven), seemed significantly slower than the BMW (again comparing to a 335, not a 535, so ymmv).

The S4 I haven't been in, but I can't see any reason why it would be a bad choice.

The Evo is going to be the most fun to drive. Period. It's going to be the least comfortable, even in MR-T trim. Period.

I guess it comes down to what's most important to you.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:49 AM

Radically different cars; you need to drive each one. What is your top priority; performance or luxury? Good luck!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Somebody needs to show me the rule book that says 38 is too old for an Evo! Im 42 and I just got mine 8 months ago and not the grandpa MR either. My Evo doesn't shift for me. I have had the BMW 1 through the 550 and I will still take the Evo. I have owned two Range Rovers and a Discovery. Still love the Evo. Girlfriend had the 911, two different boxters, Lexus ls and gs (yawn but beautiful navs) a couple Mercedes and I still love my Evo.

BUT that's me. I don't think anybody can answer that question for you. Just test drive. We all have differnt wants. Me, I love the solid ride of the Evo. When I see people whining about tire noise, daily driving problems, wind noise, gas mileage and the "cheap" interior I think to myself they remind me of a specific part of the female body. Tires too loud? Get a louder exhaust. Interior looks cheap? Drive faster, it's a scientific fact that the faster you go the less you look at the interior of your car. Wind noise? Drive with your windows open, then it's expected to be noisy. Gas mileage? Get a Prius with a license plate that says "TOOL"!!! You may be the opposite of me and other people recomendeding cars. Only way to know is test drive.

And whatever you do, don't fall for societies rules of who you are supposed to be and what age you are supposed to be it. Do what you want. People at work always say to me "you know you are 42" when they see my car. I always get last laugh by offering to drive to lunch and taking my favorite on ramp. And right at the point they start to scream like a little girl I say "you know you are a man, right?"

Haha...Very well said!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:51 AM

Toyota yaris playa
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:18 AM

S4
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by way2low01
Def do not get an evo if refinement is what you seek. You'll regret the purchase for sure. Have you test drove an evo?

This is true. Coming from 335i, and then to the Evo, my wife started to miss all the luxury ammenties per say. So we recently purchased a brand new M3. I guess we got best of both worlds now.