Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Am I insane for doing this?

Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I insane for doing this?

Before saying anything I just wants you to know that I am married and have one daughter she is 6.I used to own a BMW 328ci and I bought a new grand cherokee last December with the intention to keep it but today I went to see a 2010 Evo X SE.
I am thinking about trading my car with it.
I am going to lose some money with the trade.Regardless of the price is this a bad decision?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
uhh.. ok. I'm not your financial advisor but if you can afford it, why not?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Stout
uhh.. ok. I'm not your financial advisor but if you can afford it, why not?
My only concern is only using it as a daily driver car and the reliability because I might use it for long trips.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by DarkKnight1198
My only concern is only using it as a daily driver car and the reliability because I might use it for long trips.
If it is not going to cause any financial hardships, I don't see why it is an issue. I have used my 2008 X for many long trips and daily driving, never had an issue. Maintenance is a little pricey comparatively, but if you do your own oil changes it helps a lot. Again, I would only do it if you can 100% afford it and get a decent interest rate with it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:41 AM

An unmodified X makes a great daily driver, and it's probably safer and better in bad conditions than the Jeep.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
The X is very reliable. The ride will be a little rougher due to the sport suspension, has mileage will prolly be the same , and maintainence will be higher. The car is great though. If you can afford it, it is a great option.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Ask your wife what she thinks and if she'll actually let you. The x is a fun dd but you get pretty paranoid on safest place to park thinking if you'll scrape going up a driveway. Other than that, your golden.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:53 AM

Evo is going to be a lot more costly to maintain, but is a great DD. I own an Evo and a SUV, and I really like the SUV better for long trips due to comfort and gas mileage, plus I dont like putting a lot of miles on the EVO.

I think you should consider the family, rather than the pleasure of the EVO, or get the EVO and buy a cheaper SUV and you should be good.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:44 AM

joking aside. Don't think you could go wrong with getting the Evo. Just make sure you don't lose to much with your trade. If you have to, try and sell it yourself and then get the Evo. Good luck!

Last edited by Cbus; Dec 13, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on the car: mileage, accidents, mods. The SE gives you the best compromise between MR and GSR with all the best bits like SST, bilsteins, split front brake rotors, HID lights but none of the heavy stuff like the steel roof with sunroof etc. But, be warned, it's not a quiet luxury cruiser. I get excited every time I drive mine, can you say that about your Jeep?

Last edited by lowkey; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

You have a wife and 1 kid and want to know if a 4 door mid size car with all wheel drive is the right choice.
I am here to tell you it is.
I have a wife, 2- 3year olds, and 1 - 4month old my evo x is my only car.
Long trips you say we drove from Barstow, CA to Columbia, SC in 3 1/2 days in the evo x and it was a nice drive.
You have it easy guy if you like the car get it you won't be let down and no better safty feature on a car then the best all wheel drive system in the world.
It makes me feel so safe with all my family in the car that when it is down pooring on the high way and every one else is doing 50 I am still doing 80 with no worry.
I even tryed to make the tires spin on time after work in a wet parking lot just grip after grip took a lot to make it slide and the tires are almost bald.

My wife liked are first evo 8 so much she wants her own.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my 4 year old boy loves my car
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarkKnight1198
Before saying anything I just wants you to know that I am married and have one daughter she is 6.I used to own a BMW 328ci and I bought a new grand cherokee last December with the intention to keep it but today I went to see a 2010 Evo X SE.
I am thinking about trading my car with it.
I am going to lose some money with the trade.Regardless of the price is this a bad decision?

..and a perfect example of a decision we CAN NOT make for you.

Are you adult enough to drive? then you should be able to make this type of choice.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

keep the SUV and buy an evo. once the mod bug hits though, you're pretty screwed.

Last edited by davey111483; Dec 17, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

You're not insane lol

The Evo can be a great DD! Especially an MR with its SST. If you can afford it... do it

I lug both my kids around all the time with no problems btw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I insane for doing this?