Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Cel light all of the sudden. Need help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cel light all of the sudden. Need help

How's it going everyone I'm having an issue all of the sudden with my 2011 X. First off here are the mods I have a ams short ram intake, Greddy Ti exhaust catback, Xtreme boost down pipe.

The other day I was driving the car and decided to get into the throttle so I did and it felt smooth as usual but then the CEL light came on at first I thought it was because of no cat but then I noticed that the car would idle at 2k rpms when I let off the throttle. I then shut the car off and restarted it and the car idled normal but the CEL was still on.

Went to autozone and had them check the CEL and it came back as mass air flow and tps sensor. When I got home I checked my mass air sensor on the intake. I unplugged it and made sure it was tight still. Plugged it back in and started the car back up. No CEL now. I left it at that.

Yesterday I got into the throttle again and it did the same exact thing all over again. Can anyone help? Also it's the coldest it's been in GA it's like 30's and 40's here I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks In advance everyone.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

The MAF is not OE sized, and requires a tune for your X

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...-Polished.html

2008 and 2009 Model EVO X's will not require a tune with the addition of this intake. 2010 and later models will require a custom ECU tune for safe operation when using this intake pipe. Failing to do so can cause issues or damage to your engine.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlade
The MAF is not OE sized, and requires a tune for your X

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...-Polished.html
Nope.. The reason that the intake "requires" a re-tune is because on some of the newer models the intake will lean out the car a little too much. It is not because of the MAF. It's AMS's way of covering their tails if your car blows up from lean conditions and them saying no tune is required.. You can still run it with out one, but the 2008's didn't require a tune because the OE tune was filthy rich and it would lean it out to almost normal.

And to the OP, yes -long story short, you are going in to limp mode because of the colder weather. If you got a retune, this would not be an issue.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Also, what part of GA?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info so far. I figured it had to do with the cold weather because it didn't do this in the spring and summer. I'm located 30 min south of Atlanta in McDonough.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

P0068? My car sets that code now when the temps are lower. Usually happens in 2nd when I go wide open. The boost is spiking higher then when it was warmer outside so it's triggering the light and limp mode. Also, I have the stock airbox just with an HKS drop in and a perrin turbo inlet.