Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got 86k on mine and the ACD mode is flashing. Occurs more frequently when it's warmer. Flashing "Tarmac". Is this a sign that the ACD is going out? Will the dealer look at it now or does it need to fail for them to honor the warranty extension?
Old May 10, 2017, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Yes they will take care of it, just take it in 100k warranty on them.
Old May 20, 2017, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Yes they will take care of it, just take it in 100k warranty on them.
2 dealerships are denying my warranty request.

1st one said my aftermarket exhaust caused the failure.

2nd one said that since I only have the C161F code and not the C161E code, they can't warranty it until C161E code comes up.

Anything to scam their loyal customers.
Old May 20, 2017, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ramphex

2nd one said that since I only have the C161F code and not the C161E code, they can't warranty it until C161E code comes up.

Wow that's reprehensible I'd get Mitsubishi corporate involved. An exhaust has **** all to do with your AYC pump.
Old May 23, 2017, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramphex

This was the bull**** I was dealing with so I just moved mine to the trunk.
Old May 31, 2017, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. They confirmed the ACD pump is throwing the correct code and will replace the unit tomorrow under extended warranty! They mentioned that they are replacing these things like crazy here in Columbus, Ohio. They had a '15 in this morning that technically isn't covered by extended warranty but is covered under the standard 3yr/36,000 miles.
I asked if the new pump will also go bad again in 5 years and they claim that it has a different part number so "may" be improved. Yet the '15 failed today... May need to move this thing to the trunk.
Old May 31, 2017, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OhioEVO8
Just got back from the dealer. They confirmed the ACD pump is throwing the correct code and will replace the unit tomorrow under extended warranty! They mentioned that they are replacing these things like crazy here in Columbus, Ohio. They had a '15 in this morning that technically isn't covered by extended warranty but is covered under the standard 3yr/36,000 miles.
I asked if the new pump will also go bad again in 5 years and they claim that it has a different part number so "may" be improved. Yet the '15 failed today... May need to move this thing to the trunk.
Man if your car sees any snow just move it to the trunk and move on with life imo lol. That's the only solution I've read about, though I am not personally impacted by snow.
Old May 31, 2017, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
spray the new pumps on the outside with some grease in spray can and/or move them to the trunk..
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I really doubt they "improved" anything on the new pumps. especially for a model being discontinued.

Buy the 400 dollar kit from Driven Fab to move it to the trunk and never worry about it since you are getting a new pump.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:15 PM

Hey that's my 2015 only 3k miles no mods garaged for about 1 year. babied
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:35 PM

So I got my clutch changed and the Tarmac, gravel, snow light flashing, what can I do to fix it ?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Halhajeh
So I got my clutch changed and the Tarmac, gravel, snow light flashing, what can I do to fix it ?
Some guys fix that with more fluid for AYC which is in the trunk and also good bleed to remove all the air inside the pump
Old Sep 18, 2017, 06:29 AM

Hey Guys,

From some mounts I have Tarmac, gravel, snow light flashing
I change the clutch January 2017 but I notice flashing issue last 3 mounts.

Error code is: C161F (ACD fault, protection mode)

I gave the car to a tuning center which repair the pumps and they did everything they could change and clean everything with "AYC Pump rebuild kit" which include:
High Temp. Viton O-rings
Precision Cut Stainless Steel Pump Plate
Banded Viton High Pressure Seal
Replacement bolts

They told me they test the pump with compressor and it was fine pressure is raising (not sure what number by specification it must be 192psi = 13.2bar ) but if forgot to ask them for the numbers.

After 100m. with the car I start seeing again flashing Tarmac.

I read very carefully this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/to...p-failure.html

if we assume pump is fixed what could be the next thing to check.
- Fluid is in the right spot between MIN and MAX
- Bleed it again to to be sure there is no air

- How to verify the sensor which detect pump have pressure or not ?
- Where is that sponsor are those one of the 3 solenoids which are for front and rear DIFF
- Im not sure exactly how computer tell the pump to build pressure and then measure if its build or not because that sponsor could be the problem and the pump itself mechanically is fine.

Some useful things:
See, it turns out the computer does not regulate pressure, at least not at the pump. So, it just tells the pump to build it, and makes sure it reaches a threshold. It is either there, or it is not. The pump builds it, and should do so within X time. If this isn't detected by the computer, it gives the blinky error.

So now you are saying "But supr! Couldn't this be a sensor?" Sure could! The sensor is located at the pump. And Mitsu sells the pump as a single unit. Therefore, the pump is still the problem. However, since the pitch wasn't changing, and the fluid in the reservoir wasn't moving, it isn't a sensor.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 09:02 AM

I'm just wondering why the fck would Mitsh put this pump there? Great car but whoever thought this was a great idea is a fcking moron.

Mine is toast and I'm going to rebuild it. It turns on perfectly but when you accelerate it throughs up the AWD sign.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 03:31 AM

Just happened to me at 13k kms..

It was really cold the past few weeks like -30c and today I started my car and drove about 500 ft and the "service 4wd system" warning came on.. only got 13000 kms on the car..

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)