Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help with deciding which Evo to buy!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with deciding which Evo to buy!

Hi everyone!

So I used to race a turbo Honda civic coupe with 600hp/575tq and have been out of the scene for about 10 years. I've always have a great deal of respect and admiration for the Evo but back then they didn't make them in the US. Now I'm looking to get back into racing and want to build an Evo up a bit.

I'm looking for some guidance on what model/year to go with and what some of the differences are. I'm hoping to have a good discussion on this forum to help me make a solid decision.

Thanks!
Francesco
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

This is my view on the EVO lineup. If you want brute power and not so many features other than going fast I would say an 8/9 is the way to go. If you are planning on DD the car and want a more "Driver Friendly" car then I would say the X is for you.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:06 AM
xUP

I've got an '08 GSR for sale with low miles and only has a couple mods. Would be a great car to build. I'll have it up in the for sale section when I get enough posts to put it in there lol. Here's a link for now http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/3900148892.html OM me if your interested.

Obviously I love the X. I liked the 8's and 9's but fell in love when the X came out.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:51 PM

Hey guys,

thanks for the quick reply! So what's the difference performance wise between the 8/9/x?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Theres a thread on that i believe its stickied check it out
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:42 PM

Cool, I've been looking around the site and am finding more info that is answering a lot so far. Thanks again for getting me in the right directions!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Let us know what you end up going with all great cars. Ive always loved the ix but the x grew on me now i want to own both lmao
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Esco2007
Hey guys,

thanks for the quick reply! So what's the difference performance wise between the 8/9/x?
If you want just a drag car, an 8 or 9 is your best bet. If you want a car that handles like a boss, get a x. The 8 and 9 understeer quite heavily, more like an sti. However, the evo x has 3 differentials, and handles like a rwd car, but with the benefits of an awd car. Hands down the evo awd system is second to none, with the exception of MAYBE the GTR. This is still debated. The evo x also looks better, (obviously thats an opinion) and the evo x can come in dual clutch sst flappy paddles, if thats what you are in to.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Arsenal4Life
If you want just a drag car, an 8 or 9 is your best bet. If you want a car that handles like a boss, get a x. The 8 and 9 understeer quite heavily, more like an sti. However, the evo x has 3 differentials, and handles like a rwd car, but with the benefits of an awd car. Hands down the evo awd system is second to none, with the exception of MAYBE the GTR. This is still debated. The evo x also looks better, (obviously thats an opinion) and the evo x can come in dual clutch sst flappy paddles, if thats what you are in to.
hate to brake it to you boss but the evo 7/8/9 all have 3 differentials too... in fact almost all 4x4 or awd vehicles to... with the exception of porsche and subie...

my evo 9 will out handle 99% of all evo X's out there and all i have is a rear sway bar and a rear diff upgrade totaling 500 bucks for the 2.

the evo awd system actually blows in the realm of true awd performance... subie trans might be weak but they way it distributes power isn't... the hicas and anything else that came out of nissan with destroy anything mitsu has ever fathomed...

and yet lastly evo sst or dual clutch auto/dsg is about as ****ed as you can get in respect to evo's. i can't tell you a single person that i have seen at the track with one not be shut down by the infamous temp to high bs...

so after all of that... i would say buy an evo x... if you are hung up on it then you don't really know what you are looking for... the evo x has the nicest interior and creature comforts as far as they go... it will treat you the best... most 8/9s are shot out and run ragged... the repair bill associated with purchasing one is usually high...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^ Most of that is correct, but i strongly disagree the evo 9 out handles the x. The understeer in the 9 is hideous. Maybe on a dirt track the 8 and 9s are acceptable, but on tarmac anyone will tell you the x is superior. And the S AWC is actually one of the most advanced awd systems out there. You can claim it sucks but thatdoesnt make it true.

http://evomitsubishi.com/what-the-ac...-for-your-evo/
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:33 PM

I like the amount of space the Evo 8/9 the engine bays have..
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I said my 9... Not all 9's would out handle the 10's...

And you say its the best awd that doesn't make it true... Youre speaking from a stand point of someone who does this as a hobby... I do this for a living. Further more i was moreso playing into the fact you said its second to none... I know for a fact this is not true.

I love mitsu. I dont believe for the money you can find a better all wheel drive performance monster. But i am an ******* and i dont like how you said its second to none. Its far from the best. If it were the best you wouldnt be able to upgrade it so redily.

You over looked the fact that, in the end, did agree with you

Also super all wheel control is nothing more then advanced abs/tcs it doesnt change the fact that when a wheel slips the open front, rear, or center diff go nuts and loose most to all torque output in that axle. Intelligent braking help to regain control but its not nearly as good as other systems. If you dont believe me try to drive over a patch of ice while your ps or ds side has 0 traction. Then do it with a gtr or outback or porcsche.. Their is only so much a computer can do to overcome the fact that 0 x X = 0...
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
I said my 9... Not all 9's would out handle the 10's...
Lmao thats good stuff

I find it interesting that two people have two completely opposite views on the evos drivetrain. Sorry to go off topic with this but would you mind stating what makes the evos awd system so bad and inferior to the rest of the awd cars? Im not saying anyone is right a wrong just asking for my own personal knowledge. Ive always heard evos has amazing handling and drivetrain and great tracktimes to prove it so if its not that then what is it that makes them a good track car?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
There was a video somewhere showing that in a true awd system , as long as one wheel has traction, the car should be able to pull itself forward. In a test between a subaru and 3 other contenders , one being a mitsubishi awd suv, the subaru was the only one that passed the test. Now, that being said, the evo IX's drivetrain does the job more than well enough, however, it did not come with ayc or a properly assembled rear diff like the evo X's did, which are both features that promote oversteer. Now, by upgrading the rear diff of a IX you can make it handle like a X, only it would be lighter, allowing you to brake later.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
If we are talking about monetary perspective, the IX's are holding their value better than the X's and according to several socal mitsu dealerships, it is much easier to sell a IX than a X, soley because of the demand for the cars, not the price.

My opinion is this. Today you can add anything to a car. Whether it be GPS, heated seats, whatever. The centeral important creature comfort pieces that the X has are available in the evo 8 and 9. A/C, power windows , keyless entry etc. So really, it's thanks to the added weight of the X and its resulting ability to dampen the road as well as the more modernized interior that make it the better DD.

After owning my IX for almost 4 years I can tell you that it's a raw, drivers car and judging from your past car, you may not be happy unless you have one again.

-Pal215

Quick Reply: Need help with deciding which Evo to buy!