Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mods with serious gains on stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the info man
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Well you said "serious gains" but I guess that is relative. The most serious gain you will get for $ to HP I think is E. Is there a reason you don't want to convert?

The intake was actually the first thing I did. It was a cheap way to a coolish sound. Went ETC. My friend and I with basically similar mods except he has a drop in filter got tuned at the same place. I came out about 15 more hp with less boost. Take it for what it's worth. Could just be the cars, the weather or maybe the intake. Not sure.
Well now i am thinking of E lol My only concern is that do you have to do more maintenance on the car or do it more then regularly?

Hope that make sense
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
What maintenance would that be besides your normal fluid changes?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno I thought you needed to do more if you're running on E85
Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but i have a question: is the Evo fuel system made to run E85? In other words, are the tank, hoses, fuel rail etc. unaffected after prolonged exposure to E85?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

You can find posts here of people that drove thousands of miles on E and took the parts off and they look new. I think there is a misconception about E. I have seen some forums basically compare it to acid. That was a Z forum so I guess it was expected. Yes E is fine. There have been enough people running it for a long time to show it's not going to melt your tank. I'm actually getting it done in a couple of weeks. The conversion is just too inexpensive to pass up all that extra hp.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
You can find posts here of people that drove thousands of miles on E and took the parts off and they look new. I think there is a misconception about E. I have seen some forums basically compare it to acid. That was a Z forum so I guess it was expected. Yes E is fine. There have been enough people running it for a long time to show it's not going to melt your tank. I'm actually getting it done in a couple of weeks. The conversion is just too inexpensive to pass up all that extra hp.
That's good to know. Thank you...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

There's no additional maintenance needed for e85 cars. Some people will tell you to run injector cleaning and/or e85 additive every once in a while. There's no harm is doing so, but some don't feel its needed. I also recommend not letting the car sit with e85 in it for too long. If you're going to store it over the winter, store it dry, or fire it up once a week and let it run for like 10-15 minutes. Ethanol collects moisture, if it collects too much it's bad for the engine.

The only thing you need to do it run corn is get bigger injectors, and an e85 specific pump (and a tune obviously).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Order I'd go-

1st: Tune with 3 port, injectors, pump, kit for E85 if you want more power (lots)
2nd: Upper IC pipe (dyno proof of 10-12whp)
3rd: Cat back (dyno proof of 10-12whp)
4th: Test pipe (8-10whp, 5whp or so with a quality high flow cat)
5th: O2 downpipe (5whp)
6th: If you're in a really hot climate, an FMIC might make sense

At this point, you can upgrade your turbo for some really nice gains. I wouldn't mess with an intake.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Order I'd go-

1st: Tune with 3 port, injectors, pump, kit for E85 if you want more power (lots)
Like I said, welcome to 325 whp.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks but man I was hoping with all the parts Noize mentioned that it would be close to 400 lol
Old Oct 2, 2013, 07:02 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by khmerguyx
Thanks but man I was hoping with all the parts Noize mentioned that it would be close to 400 lol
It all depends on what you're using as a dyno.

Assuming pump gas and a dynojet, that setup would be good for about 345whp with a full TBE (test pipe), 3 port, UIC pipe, FMIC, and tune.

If you want to run closer to 400whp on a Dynojet, you're gonna need E85. But it will get you very close, like within 5-10whp no problem.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by khmerguyx
Yeah no... my car made 466 on Dynojet with an EF3. (we ran out of injector)

You don't want to/can't safely get to 400 with out other supporting mods. Injectors, pumps, deleted cat and test pipe will safely get you to around 325-340 (depending on the kind of dyno).

400 with stock internals is asking for a rod to come shooting out of the block. It's also pushing the outer limits of the stock turbo. I was talking with Dan Carey at MAP, I think he said they maxed one out at 409 on their dyno before a very short time, before it blew up.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
Yeah no... my car made 466 on Dynojet with an EF3. (we ran out of injector)

You don't want to/can't safely get to 400 with out other supporting mods. Injectors, pumps, deleted cat and test pipe will safely get you to around 325-340 (depending on the kind of dyno).

400 with stock internals is asking for a rod to come shooting out of the block. It's also pushing the outer limits of the stock turbo. I was talking with Dan Carey at MAP, I think he said they maxed one out at 409 on their dyno before a very short time, before it blew up.
Are you on a Dyno Dynamics or something stingy? Close to 400whp for stock turbo with injectors, pump, and E85 is not a problem on a dynojet.

400whp won't hurt stock internals at all, it's high torque that will kill the engine.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

From everything I read and from my tuner you just want to keep the torque under 400. I think he actually goes for 360 but may his dyno reads low so he stays conservative. That's not saying people haven't pushed more than 400. Depends on your risk tolerance.

Even though I'm not getting E until next week I have read everything I could find and it is just a great $/HP ratio. Plus it smells good. Only excuse is there isn't one by you but I'm
Doing it and the closest station to my house is 20 miles. Getting gas cans and will fill up at lunch since it's 7 miles from work. HP>inconvenience.

Quick Reply: Mods with serious gains on stock turbo