Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mods with serious gains on stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Are you on a Dyno Dynamics or something stingy? Close to 400whp for stock turbo with injectors, pump, and E85 is not a problem on a dynojet.

400whp won't hurt stock internals at all, it's high torque that will kill the engine.
It was a dynojet.

And what exactly do you think happens at 400HP? Yes, technically HP and TQ do not go hand in hand. But generally speaking as one goes up the other goes too. If you're making 400whp you're probably going to be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 375tq. That's starting to get in to rod breaking territory.

Furthermore, you can't get to 400 on just injectors, pump, and cat delete alone.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

You can with E . Or close to hit. I was thinking cams and E and my tuner said at this point it's not wort the money since they both do somewhat of the same thing and that he spends half his time when turning for E trying to keep the tq at a safe level and cams would make it worse. He said if I planned on running 91 more than E then cams would be worth the cost. Other than that to wait until I rebuild the bottom end and a bigger turbo to get full monies worth out of the cams. I know tuners all have different opinions but I trust mine. I really just wanted cams at this point for the idle but that's a dumb reason. Lol

Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
It was a dynojet.

And what exactly do you think happens at 400HP? Yes, technically HP and TQ do not go hand in hand. But generally speaking as one goes up the other goes too. If you're making 400whp you're probably going to be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 375tq. That's starting to get in to rod breaking territory.

Furthermore, you can't get to 400 on just injectors, pump, and cat delete alone.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yea ill be running gas more than E but now Bobby got me thinking E
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
It was a dynojet.

I feel like you're being a little condescending, and I'm not sure why. I got my first X in 2008, have several 4B11 dyno sessions, and know the platform really well.

If you look at my post above the one you're referring to, I stated you can make close to 400whp dynojet on E85 with full bolt on mods: Catless turbo-back exhaust, 3 port, UIC pipe, IC upgrade (hotter climates), and tune. There are many examples of this in the dyno results forum.

I agree with everything you said about the stock turbo (depending on tuning style), that HP and Tq are close.

Once you change the snail, that goes out the window. My stock internalled engine with a BBX Lite made over 400whp, but with only 350wtq. It was dead nuts reliable at 40,000 miles when I sold it. The torque onset is later, so the curve is shifted to the right. The fully stock turbo just can't sustain the boost up top, hence the drop off and nearly 1:1 power to torque ratio. I also agree with you that pushing the car really hard on E85 and the stock turbo is probably not the best plan. Tune accordingly.

There are infinity stock internalled cars on here with well over 400hp and a mild turbo upgrade.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize

There are infinity stock internalled cars on here with well over 400hp and a mild turbo upgrade.
I think that's the key part of it though, turbo upgrade. With a stock turbo being small as it is, it sort of shocks the entire system at the 375tq range. Where as with a larger turbo the same 375tq would be a little more evenly distributed along the torque curve. This is the same reason a lot of people with MR's will go with a larger turbo than they need for there build, as to not suddenly shock the transmission.