Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Brake System - How long is it supposed to last?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake System - How long is it supposed to last?

2008 MR, bought new. never tracked, just daily driven, occasional spirited driving.

i changed my pads a 55,000km.

now at 85,000km, i'm getting some weird juddering/clicking under the front of my car when going slow <10kph. thought my mudflaps were getting in the way, but i don't think it is. are my rotors done? how would i check? i notice it more at low speed when i turn. i assume warped rotors are dangerous if i keep driving.

any recommendations on a brand that's not too expensive and good for street use?

how long do i have left on the brembo calipers? the front one is already pealing
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt worry about the calipers, you can get them repowder coated but its just cosmetics
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sort of. Pealing paint can also be a sign that the caliper has been at some very high temps, which can melt the rubber seals inside.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe high temps but salted winter roads will peel them up as well.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nvmaddog
Maybe high temps but salted winter roads will peel them up as well.
brake fluid too right? i have a feeling when the dealer was bleeding my brakes some fluid might have gotten on there but it took some time before it corroded.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vassili
brake fluid too right?

This is the number 1 cause of clear coat peeling off of calipers.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 MR, bought new. never tracked, just daily driven, occasional spirited driving.

now at 85,000km, i'm getting some weird juddering/clicking under the front of my car when going slow <10kph. thought my mudflaps were getting in the way, but i don't think it is. are my rotors done? how would i check? i notice it more at low speed when i turn. i assume warped rotors are dangerous if i keep driving.

any recommendations on a brand that's not too expensive and good for street use?

how long do i have left on the brembo calipers? the front one is already pealing
Your first pad change was at 55000 KM? I personally wouldnt wait that long to change pads. I wonder if the pads wore down to the metal backing, and the metal-pad-on-metal-rotor warped the rotors. Based on your mileage on pad change and when you started noticing, that seems odd, but might be possible.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaEvoPusha
Your first pad change was at 55000 KM? I personally wouldnt wait that long to change pads. I wonder if the pads wore down to the metal backing, and the metal-pad-on-metal-rotor warped the rotors. Based on your mileage on pad change and when you started noticing, that seems odd, but might be possible.
Changed mine in the same mileage ballpark as OP. Rears still had a good bit left and fronts were well within reason still.
Mine was also DD and Spirited DD so I don't think 55,000KM is that long, but then again I more often let is reduce as much speed via coasting as I can and then I brake.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Yes 34k is not a ton of miles if you are good on pads. Even high performance brembo pads.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:54 AM

I change my break pads about every 30k miles, sometime I go to 40k but by that time the pads are way gone and the metal on the pads start digging into the rotors. Even if you have done this, the rotors should be fine. The rotors are designed to take considerable wear. You can pull off your wheel and visually inspect the rotors. I would replace them if you have considerable wear on the outer edge of the rotor.

I am not sure how the clear coat pealing has anything to do with the noise. I had a 2003 evo with the clear coat on the calipers cracking all over the place. It never made a noise or caused problems breaking.

Is this noise occurring when you first start driving the car. If so its probably just rust build up on your rotors that occurs over night.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yes just because your caliper paint is chipping don't mean the caliper itself is gonna go bad..Usually a bad caliper will pull the car to the left or right...Also our front pads are the same as a 04-12 STI...Soo maybe you could find a set of decent pads cheaper instead of just looking under Evo 10 brake pads. (On ebay,Craigslist)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Guys,

he changed at 55K and now at 85K - approximately 30K later - he is getting some new noises.

Since he is most likely expecting another 55K out of his pads OP is most likely just thinking about the other brake components he did not replace at 55K that could now be going bad/wearing down.

I don't think OP is relating the cracking clear coat to failure of caliper, just another piece of information as in it is so old that the paint is already cracking. What is average life of a caliper. Not an unreasonable question.

+ 1 that heat from continuous or hard breaking could have caused or sped up that paint cracking.
+ 1 that seals in calipers can go bad / probably most common "issue" with a caliper
+ 1 that if you have a bad caliper your car would pull to a side during braking based on uneven braking forces
+ 1 you can powder coat the calipers to get them looking fresh again

OP, maybe post some pictures of your rotors so we can eagle eye them for common irregular wear marks and streaks for you.

Clicking noise I got no ideas for. Hard to diagnose something like that.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the rotors. Measure them or have a professional do it to see if they are below spec. I bought a 2011 MR and it has 63k miles. The pads are fine but the rotors are shot and now I have a minor vibration in the front passenger side. It gets more noticeable during braking and the brakes squeal horribly if the car has been sitting for an hour or more and especially overnight.

You can go with some of the other suggestions for new rotors, but I would shoot a PM to James (maperformance) and he will give you some good prices. Good luck!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

I recommend rotating the wheels and checking the tire pressure first. If the problem stops, wheels need to be re balance. Try all the freebies first before putting a hole in your pocket which could be a simple fix. Peace