Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Up Keep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up Keep

Hey everyone, I am considering making the jump from my Lancer to an Evo X.

To start off with, I can afford the car itself and not be financially deprived.
I am just wondering about the maintenance and the upkeep to having it.

I am looking at 2010 and newer for year wise, as well as only GSR's.

What does the costs usually add up to yearly/or however often. I know brakes are expensive as well as the diffs upkeep.

What else is needed, and is required to maintain it running at peak performance?

I just want to get some voices to know what I am getting into if I proceed into getting an Evo X.

Thank you! - Keith
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Not too much more than a regular car. Factor in performance tires, performance brakes, synthetic oil changes 3-5k miles
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by stiggysaurus
Not too much more than a regular car. Factor in performance tires, performance brakes, synthetic oil changes 3-5k miles
Any regular routine maintenance besides oil, coolant, etc?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
series of continuous mods... can be expensive
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:40 PM

I also see them around 40k Miles, how many miles do some people have? Any big things coming up after that?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good tires and brakes can be pricey,oil change at the dealer is around $90.00 for mobil 1.I had a 30k service done at the dealer cost me $400.Granted I do have an MR but I don't think the price is that much more than a GSR but of course I could be wrong.Other than that I've had 0 issues with my car.Brakes done once tires twice,second time my fault broke my rim as well.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

OP are you willing and able to do some of the services at home?

For instance, I installed new HAWK Pads when the Brembo OEMs were used up - cost $215.00 for both front and rear.

Dealer price to do break job was well over $500 - OEM Pads are pricey plus labor.

Mobil 1 oil change with filter is like $110 at my dealer but I like the convenience of them doing it (no garage at home, currently 100 degrees in the shade) so I shell that out versus doing it at home.

I have the MR so I elected to have them service the TC SST and the SAWC system at around 36k .....both were around $400.
Could have saved a lot of $ doing it at home but I was not comfortable with those systems and how it may affect my drive train warranty if I did it at home.
I know it should not matter so long as the fluids are correct, I keep a record etc. but that TC SST is still around $5-7K just for the unit plus labor.

So my overall point is that you can save a lot of money if you have the tools, time and willingness to service your own ride. Bringing the X's upkeep costs down.

If not, the Evo will be more expensive to maintain than a base Lancer.

FYI, I spend $45 every 5-7 days on gas since it is my DD.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:50 AM

I am no mechanic, but I can do regular maintenance on my own for sure. I can also learn whatever I don't know.
Gas isn't a problem as my work is 2 miles away and everything else is within 10 miles. Just the cruising is when I drive, but thats the sole purpose of this car lol.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Same answers as the ones' you got at the other forum...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

No reason really to ever go to the dealer. Find a mechanic that works on them and things are cheaper. I buy Mobil One at Walmart then go to a Valvoline drive through oil place and they do it for 30$ and I never have to get out of the car. Plus I get a free EGO boost because all the guys that work there seem to go all goo gaga when I pull in. Lol Been going to the same place for almost 2 years. My stock brakes lasted awhile. I actually changed to stop tech at 30k and my brakes still had time left. Changed to twin clutch at 57k and clutch still had life left. I pay a couple hundred every 15k or so for the trans and diff fluid change. I'm at 60k on stock plugs because I keep forgetting to change them.

Somebody else said it, the MODS kill you more than maintenance. Between the price of the car and the mods, I'm driving around in a 60k dollar Japanese "econobox"

Reminds me of when I use to drink a lot. I would wake up the next day saying "never again". Now I say that same thing after I get off the phone with MAP. But never again always happens again.