Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Steering not straight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering not straight

Hi

I have a problem where the alignment guy can never seem to get the steering wheel straight. It shows that it's straight on the alignment rack but when I drive it the steering is a little to the right in order to go straight.

What he does is turn on the engine and lock in the steering wheel and then shuts it off. Are there any tips to make it drive straight or adjustments I can make on my own? Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2014, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here. I noticed it after installing the steering wheel buttons for volume control. I thought I had just put the steering wheel on one tooth off. This was a few years ago. I just recently refit my steering wheel with a redline goods cover. Since I had to remove the steering wheel again, I looked into the issue again. If I moved it one tooth over, it was even worse off in the other direction.

At this point it is either alignment related under the car or maybe the steering wheel sensor, which gets exposed during removal.

I also have the Perrin RCA kit installed, not sure if that would impact it.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure if this is helpful:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fications.html

When the car is turned on, the front toe tends to drift. Be sure to have the alignment tech start your car before calling it finished. Mine drifts 0.07* out (equally on both sides).
The driver's weight will affect the toe and camber. My weight, on my suspension, changes the camber 0.2* and the toe slightly. If you are a "person of size" then it might be beneficial to either be in the car or put weights in the driver's seat to compensate.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:19 PM

I had the same problem with my previous MR...
During 1 year ownership, I never had a chance to fix it.
But MR was found to have a damaged adjust bolt washer tooth. so you should go underneath of the car and check that out. Some technician is so careless and those washers can be damaged very easily.
I would recommend JC auto house to you. It is very close to Monterey Park.
You can check his review on yelp.
The guy is very very good and he cares. He was the only one alignment guy who figured out the problem with my MR.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I went to jc autohouse twice and both time it has happened initially where the steering was not straight and both time he made excuses. The 2nd time I told him that this issue was very annoying and we put it on the rack 3 times. He ended up saying it was my rack and pinion which is bs. I am going back today after work to take care of it. I will leave the car on and be in the car.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:07 AM

That is very unfortunate, man. He tuned my alignment pretty well. My 14 GSR was not straight from lot either.
He did a pretty good job and now I am at 14k miles, around 30-40 % thread left, I am pretty sure I can go beyond 20k with current setup.
It is hard to find a good alignment shop these days.
Is your car on stock rim, stock tire and stock suspension, just curious. My MR had a set of rotas and require hub rings to fit, I never solved steering wheel problem with that car.
Hope you got ur issue sorted soon.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:13 AM

BTW, here is a old thread that describes my problem.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67414
I think we had similar issue. I never got it sorted out......and eventually, I sold the car.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

When Gilbert at massimo did my car he manually adjusted the steering, he just went under and adjusted something I think it was tie rod and the car drove straight! Do I have to shorten the tie rod on the left side of the steering is a bit to the right?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by butters149
When Gilbert at massimo did my car he manually adjusted the steering, he just went under and adjusted something I think it was tie rod and the car drove straight! Do I have to shorten the tie rod on the left side of the steering is a bit to the right?
So did massimo fix it? Tie rod adjustment is standard procedure to changing the toe (left/right direction) of the wheels. So I don't think anything else was different besides a super minor toe adjustment.

I'm surprised JC wasn't able to fix your alignment. I have a Honda Prelude that had the same problem as your evo, the wheel would be 5 degrees off center when going straight. Cyrus ended up setting my toe alignment with my steering wheel 5 degrees off . He used my crooked steering angle as "baseline" and adjusted the toe from there.

It was weird with my car, even though the machine said it was aligned, the car had to be slightly off alignment for the wheel to point straight on the road.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I've only had three alignments for this car, two was at jc and both times were off centered. One of them was at massimo and it was initially off centered as well until he made manual toe adjustments then it was straight. The car was off centered from factory. What should I have the dealer check when I come in?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Btw I went back to jc autohouse for an alognment with me in the car and engine on and we locked the wheel. Car came out slightly off centered to the left this time. I am not sure if it's his machine or if it's the car. If it's the car what should I check for? I am not familiar with these electronic steering mechanisms