Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First mods to start with, what & why...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First mods to start with, what & why...

I know that this has been posted many times before, but I'd like some more opinions;

Hey guys!

My dad has had an 08 GSR for around 4-5 years now.... Now, that I'm getting closer to being able to drive, and I keep asking about things that we can do with the car, he's finally let up and is starting to consider modding the car a bit.. Over the weekend I got the rest of the money I needed for an AP. Once it comes in we're really not going to have plenty of use for it since the car only has an aftermarket air filter on it. So, I'm wondering what kind of mods should we start with to begin adding more power. I'm thinking that intake and then an exhaust would be ideal for the most noticable gains right now. What other things should be up on my list. I've read the ETS post on their order of mods, but my dad doesnt really agree with their order. So, I'd like to hear some other suggestions. Also, what are the best bolt ons (specify company please) which provide you with the most power gains. Ideally I'd like the car to have around 350-400 whp once everything is put on it.

A bit of ideas, no order really:
- AP (purchased)
- Intake (dyno tune to come after a few more mods)
- CB Exhaust
- Test Pipe ??? (keep catted, noticable gain???)
- UICP (dont know if the stock one really expands as much as they say it does)
- Boost Controller (is it time for one with all the above mods???)
- BOV (does it really help with power much???)
- FMIC (probably should be higher upon the list, but idk)

Please let me know if I'm missing something or if I'm wrong in the order of mods/ anything of that sort.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mjb2k; Mar 17, 2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an AP its cool for what it does but not something you really need.

Intake & EBCS is something you should get as a combo. You will see noticeable gains

Exhaust and test pipe/ High flow cat is a must. I changed mine, I can tell instantly the power difference and the car sheds weight.

Stock BOV is good for about 25psi anything after, a aftermarket one is recommended

UICP is something I'm looking into because yes it does expand and I believe you get better airflow over all

FMIC, should be something to look into with test pipe and exhaust.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

I'd start with testpipe, catback, uicp, intake, 3port and if available e85 tune(this will require injectors and fuel pump).

You don't really need an AP. Protune would be much better. FMIC is good until 450hp from what the tuners at 5150 told me so not needed. You also don't really need a bov either but let's let others chime in on this. The stock bov will be noticeably louder once you add the intake, if that was your initial goal.

If I were to purchase them in some order I'd do catback first because you can run this on stock tune plus it sounds better. UICP can be ran on stock tune as well. Then I'd get the 3port, tp, injectors, fuel pump, and intake together and from there get a tune. Remember you NEED a tune for 3port. Install in parking lot or have them do it. The intake and test pipe will be okay just don't go WOT. Better safe than sorry.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I think AP is a great value if you buy used. There are other functions with the AP you get other than just OTS maps.

You can also be protuned on the AP and be able to flip maps on the go if you get E85/Pump maps.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You actually don't need a lot of the stuff you mentioned.

This is what you should do for the best bang for your buck. Keep it simple and enjoy.

Catback Exhaust (pick one that you like the sound of, no big difference between brands)
Test pipe/high flow cat
Upper Intercooler pipe (yes, the stock one expands, and you will get better throttle response)
Drop-in air filter (K&N filter is good...stock air box is quite good for stock turbo)
Custom tune (no need for AP)

Optional...Turbo inlet to connect to stock air box (Perrin and Cobb both sell them - inlet is much smoother than stock pipe off of intake)

Your tuner will control boost through the ECU. No need for a boost controller.

That's all you really need and will be plenty of power to start with.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:38 PM

Defiantly do exhaust cat back and test pipe and think about where you want to go with the car and how fast you wanna get there small mods small money but if your eventually gonna go bigger make sure there gonna match up so you don't double buy. Lots of good stuff out there
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Shouldn't you learn to drive it comfortably before adding power? This is a recipe for disaster if you're 16 and jumping right into a highly modified car.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Shouldn't you learn to drive it comfortably before adding power? This is a recipe for disaster if you're 16 and jumping right into a highly modified car.
This! At 16 most don't have enough sense to drive a fast car responsibly. At least I don't have to watch out for you in Georgia
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea i was gonna suggest a driver mod first...before buying a bunch of aftermarket stuff. Learn to actually drive the car first. If you want to drive it fast just sign up for some HPDE events at your local track and you will learn tons there about your car and yourself!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Just re read your post. If you dont have a licenece yet you should just drive the car for awhile and get used to it. Forget mods for now..the evo is a lot of car for such a new driver be careful...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:11 PM

Drive the car as is. Get used to it. My first turbo car when I was 17 was a GST ... Drove it for awhile got used to it let the upgrades come little by little. And save everything that requires a tune and do in one shot. Do you cat back and Test pipe.. (test pipe is a noticeable difference ) .. Good luck
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

All I see is power adders.... Interested in a little suspension too?

As far as power adders, Intake and exhaust will get you in the right direction. A downpipe and either test pipe or hiflow cat will help flows from the turbo. A UICP will help some with the stock pipe expanding and what not. A boost controller would be a good investment later on with a few more mods and turbo change.

A little suspension, springs and sway bars will stiffen up the ride for those corner lovers.

I would focus on how to drive a turbo car if you are just getting close to start to drive. A car with a bunch of power adders can be a little different to learn how to drive on than a stock vehicle.