Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Replacement Clutch

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacement Clutch

Hey guys, I'm going to be sending my X to get the tranny rebuilt next month and I thought I'd go ahead and replace the clutch while it's there since I hate the one I have right now (bought the car used, it came with it) because it's my daily and the pedal is very hard. I'm looking to get something that would be soft, something close to OEM. I called Moore Automotive and they recommended a Competition Clutch Stage 3. The service manager at the Mitsu dealer said he would recommend a Exedy Stage 1. I've tried doing some research on both but I haven't been able to get a whole lot of info. Really I'm looking for a clutch that would be easy to drive everyday and that is durable. I'll be getting tuned in a couple months and I'll be doing full bolt-ons so I'm not too worried about how much power the clutch can handle. Let me know what you guys would suggest
Old May 7, 2015, 11:00 AM

I am currently running a competition clutch stage 2 with stock flywheel. The pedal feel is slightly firmer than stock and is rated I believe in the 400 wtq range. I have put around 13000 miles on it so far and around 20 or so 1/4 mile passes on it and it still hold strong. I chose it due to budget reason as it was cheaper than act. And didn't want the extra pedal effort that I knew the stage 3 would bring. It's not that bad. My cousin has the stage 3 and it's starting to slip. Idk if it's from his driving or a bad batch. I would also go ahead and upgrade the mc to a map or ams one if you have not already. Hope this help you.
Old May 7, 2015, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a exedy stage 2 HD and imo don't get the exedy stage 1. I would rather get a stage 2 ACTclutch
Old May 7, 2015, 05:39 PM

I had the exedy stage one HD and i think it is a great OEM replacement clutch. It has a very stock like engagement with lots of hold. The HD has more hold but it may be a heavier pedal then you want. Because it has an organic disk it is very feather able unlike a pucked clutch.
Old May 7, 2015, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Projectjdm
I am currently running a competition clutch stage 2 with stock flywheel. The pedal feel is slightly firmer than stock and is rated I believe in the 400 wtq range. I have put around 13000 miles on it so far and around 20 or so 1/4 mile passes on it and it still hold strong. I chose it due to budget reason as it was cheaper than act. And didn't want the extra pedal effort that I knew the stage 3 would bring. It's not that bad. My cousin has the stage 3 and it's starting to slip. Idk if it's from his driving or a bad batch. I would also go ahead and upgrade the mc to a map or ams one if you have not already. Hope this help you.
Afer searching around a little more, I'm leaning towards the exedy clutch. Thanks for your input though

Originally Posted by cocobobo20
I have a exedy stage 2 HD and imo don't get the exedy stage 1. I would rather get a stage 2 ACTclutch
Haven't heard too many kind things about the ACT clutches and I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a clutch ATM.

Originally Posted by Og Neon
I had the exedy stage one HD and i think it is a great OEM replacement clutch. It has a very stock like engagement with lots of hold. The HD has more hold but it may be a heavier pedal then you want. Because it has an organic disk it is very feather able unlike a pucked clutch.
How long did the Exedy last you? I think I might go with the HD, can't be as stiff as what I have now
Old May 8, 2015, 06:59 PM

It lasted me two years and probably would have lasted another year. I was very hard on it though because I use my car mainly for autocross and track days. I slip the car a lot on the launch, and I have let numerous other people drive it who are not use to the clutch and they burn the **** out of it. I pulled it because it was the winter months and i was building the car for the next round. I think under normal driving conditions it would last a really long time.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Og Neon
It lasted me two years and probably would have lasted another year. I was very hard on it though because I use my car mainly for autocross and track days. I slip the car a lot on the launch, and I have let numerous other people drive it who are not use to the clutch and they burn the **** out of it. I pulled it because it was the winter months and i was building the car for the next round. I think under normal driving conditions it would last a really long time.
Good to know. Did it ever bother you in stop and go traffic?
Old May 11, 2015, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Comp Stage 3 2600 and it feels basically the same as stock pedal wise but it grabs instantly so slipping it is tough to say the least....after getting used to it the first week though if seems as if this clutch has been in the car all along...I have about 3500 miles on it