Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X whining noise!!!!! help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X whining noise!!!!! help

so I take my EVO GSR 2014 WITH 16K MILES still have warranty, to el Cajon and they're saying that my car making this whining noise is normal. which has to be bull****, I never beat the **** out of it, I took it in the first time for the same reason and he said it was the tensioner, so they supposedly replaced it and the problem still occurs. The noise happens when not in gear and in gear

so I take it in 3 days after because the noise was still the same, now the car has been there since thurs. I call and ask what's going on with the car and they say the mechanic said, " the noise is normal". Well if its normal then why did they replace the timing tensioner if they thought that was normal in the first place. some thing doesn't add up..

I told them its got to be the oil pump from what ive read, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST THERE RECEIPT SHOWING IT WAS THE OIL PUMP MAKING THE NOISE, SO I CAN BRING IT IN AND SHOW THEM.

HERE IS A CLIP OF THE SOUND, when you don't hear anything im at a light
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing

Last edited by ghost911; Oct 22, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^ tell that dumb *** mechanic that the majority the evo x population said it is not normal so now to return the install fee for the tensioner.

Idk what the problem is but I've been in 5 Evos with friends and if I include mine that's 6, all which none have this sound.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
^ tell that dumb *** mechanic that the majority the evo x population said it is not normal so now to return the install fee for the tensioner.

Idk what the problem is but I've been in 5 Evos with friends and if I include mine that's 6, all which none have this sound.

im not leaving with my car till the car noise is gone, or that pump is replaced
Old Oct 22, 2015, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghost911
im not leaving with my car till the car noise is gone, or that pump is replaced
Bring a blanket and snacks.

I suggest that the whine, without have a ton more details, could be a ton of different things. Tensioner is one, alternator, pulleys (replace the plastic ones with the Hyundai metal ones), fuel regulator, boost issues. The list goes on. Maybe it is the oil pump, but it might be tough to get them to replace it without some more diagnosis.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Johnr352
Bring a blanket and snacks.

I suggest that the whine, without have a ton more details, could be a ton of different things. Tensioner is one, alternator, pulleys (replace the plastic ones with the Hyundai metal ones), fuel regulator, boost issues. The list goes on. Maybe it is the oil pump, but it might be tough to get them to replace it without some more diagnosis.

I've heard what pullys, alternator sound like and that's none of those.
boost leak? no
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That doesnt sound normal...my 2013 has a tiny whistling sound that gets higher and higher when I speed up but thats just the turbo spooling. All the evos Ive been in dont have that sound either
Old Oct 23, 2015, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Mine whines, but it's been checked out by a real shop and it's totally fine. It's done it since I bought with 10 miles in 2013. I even have a DW fuel pump installed, and I still get whining.

As John said, it could definitely be many different things. I wouldn't rule anything out just because "you know what they sound like."
Old Oct 23, 2015, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Oil pump, its normal.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe its the transfer case?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
Oil pump, its normal.
Spot on. Mine does this, and has since brand new. 2 of the guys in Edmonton I hang out with also have this sound.

Oil pump = normal
Old Oct 26, 2015, 02:15 PM

can confirm it's oil pump, mine is a 2008 and it only does that whine when the OIL is getting near it's useful life which is about 3k miles. When it's new oil it's barely noticeable. If it can make you feel any better look at this video, towards the end you can hear it.

Last edited by Luminox; Oct 26, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:10 PM

alright so I took it to socal Mitsubishi and the mechanic says its the transmission gears meshing together. reason for the whining noise and he said it is normal
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Luminox
can confirm it's oil pump, mine is a 2008 and it only does that whine when the OIL is getting near it's useful life which is about 3k miles. When it's new oil it's barely noticeable. If it can make you feel any better look at this video, towards the end you can hear it. Evo X noise - YouTube
cant hear it with the wooosh lol
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luminox
can confirm it's oil pump, mine is a 2008 and it only does that whine when the OIL is getting near it's useful life which is about 3k miles. When it's new oil it's barely noticeable. If it can make you feel any better look at this video, towards the end you can hear it.
Mine does the same. It does get louder the more I drive it. After an oil change it goes away for another 3k miles.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thomar
Oil pump, its normal.

If this is so normal why doesnt the dealership know exactly what it is then? Instead of telling me some bull****. And just tell me maybe my oil needs an oil change.?

Quick Reply: Evo X whining noise!!!!! help