Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New '15 GSR Mods

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd save some more money and come up with a better phase 1
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hydro334
Without more input on a better plan, you are wasting space.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spartan716
Without more input on a better plan, you are wasting space.
Get a boost gauge and a wideband.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Pretty sure I got all my parts and etune for less than $1500.

AEM Failsafe wideband + boost gauge
GM ebcs
turbo inlet
Depo HFC
Buschur catback
UICP
Tactrix + etune
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro334
I agree with that. I never liked mbc dont you guys have gear based boost control available like the 8 and 9? Driving a modified turbo car without a wideband is the definition of insanity.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
One of the best tuners in the country tuned my car and they went EBCS. I can't remember the last time I saw someone run anything other than that in the last few years?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I went with for my 'phase 1': AP, full intake, full exhaust (tbe), 4" intercooler+all hard piping, and I'm going with a custom tune for all of this

I got my car 6 months ago and just now ordered these parts and payed less than retail on pretty much all of them due to tax return sales, free 3P Performance one-piece UICP with the purchase of my IC, and a free $100 Amazon gift card I received for getting a couple of their credit cards (no actual purchase necessary) - this gift card allowed me to get a brand new APv3 for ~370 shipped so I'm happy

My approach for my mod path is to do the car in 'categories,' for now I got the simple bolt-on stuff, depending on funds, I'm either gonna go wheels+tires and suspension next - or I'm gonna just do minor aesthetic ad-ons like a JDP lip and a Voltex gurney flap if I feel the need to do something before I end up earmarking the entire funds for all the wheel/tire/susp goodies I truly want

Mainly however, I just wanna do 'categories' at a time instead of piece by piece like on my last car
Old Feb 25, 2016, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Update. Installed so far:
Cobb AP V3 stage 1
Cobb air filter
Rally Armor mud flaps
Novline fitted floor mats. They took a month to deliver from eBay but are f*cking awesome. Don't buy weather tech, as I did in the past, buy these.

Impressions: Very good bump in power. The car feels much better over 3500 rpm. Pulls hard all the way to redline now. Stock was less impressive than my stage 2 GTI. I am pretty simple, I like power. To me, this was very well worth it until I have all my upgrades and get a protune.

Next:
I have a speed circuit test pipe sitting in my garage waiting for my STM 3" SS single exit exhaust to be delivered. Once those are installed I'm loading the Cobb Stage 2 LWG map. If all looks good after data logging, I will upgrade to regular Stage 2.
Let the fun begin!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some of my thinking: I hate how quiet this car is. No exhaust or induction noise takes away from the overall experience; part of the reason I want a CBE. Speed is good but the sound helps the experience a lot in my opinion.

Cobb: I need a way to tune (mulitipule times as the mods increase) and I like that I can easily data log. I am very technologically handicap so the ease of use is appealing. E-tuning will probably be primary until I have finished mods. Also, the multitude of gauges is appealing.

Ivey is def a big name out there, but I'm leaning towards Rickerman for the ease of Tuning. STM is less than an hour from me too.
I completely agree with you on the sound.. that's a huge part of the "Evo experience" in my opinion. I had no idea the stock exhaust was so quiet, as pretty much every Evo I've ever seen had aftermarket systems.

I'm in Syracuse NY, and am planning on bringing my car to STM as well.. I've heard great things, and they seem very nice to work with based on a couple questions I've asked via email.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
il give you a great deal on a stm bell mouth intake. with the hallman it will be the best bang for the buck.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Can you link the MBC vs EBCS thread?

After talking to STM and reading a very lengthy debate on here about MBC vs ECBS (that I bumped from the dead, good discussion) I decided to go with the Hallman pro MBC.