Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dealer Dispute

Old Apr 22, 2016, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Dispute

Hey everyone, long time member, just picked up a 2014 WW Evo x two weeks ago from a Mitsubishi dealer and now the dealer is giving me the run around. One of the stipulations on me purchasing the evo was for the dealer to add HID headlights as this vehicle was equipped with the stock halogen headlights. The dealer agreed to split the cost of HID headlights $1160 so my half of the agreement was $580. During the original sale process the sales man and the finance manager assured me that the headlights were going to be installed per OEM spec. When going to pick up my car I noticed that they did not install the HID projector housing or the OEM leveler switch. All the dealer installed was the HID bulbs and ballast in the stock OEM halogen housing. Now the dealer is claiming they have met their contractual obligation. They claim it is safe to drive, it will not blind any on coming traffic, or it will not melt the halogen filament in the housing. In the bill of sale the document reads "install HID headlights". Please help! Side note, I purchased the vehicle April 6th, 2016. Thanks everyone

Last edited by tpdc2; Apr 22, 2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 06:44 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
What does the paperwork say? In the end, that is what will be used in court. If it says OEM "Style" you may be burnt. If it says OEM Headlights / lamps, you may have something. $580 is a bit steep for non-oem imo. I would push back hard on that part.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't see how they agree to split the cost with you and then just install 100 dollar hid bulbs and call it a day.. I mean clearly the cost for those is not justified. I guess you can call mitsu and file dispute.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 06:56 AM

The documentation on the bill of sale states "install HID headlights" and the conversation between me and the salesman via text message states "add xenon headlights".
Old Apr 22, 2016, 06:58 AM
EvoM Community Team

did you give them the money already?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lol they should be ashamed of themselves. Installing HIDs in halogen reflector housing, like those that comes with the X, will blind oncoming traffic.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 07:00 AM

The install of HID headlights were packaged together in the bill of sale of the vehicle. Unfortunately I have made my down payment already.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well you can still walk away from the sale then. Usually even after you take delivery of the vehicle in some states you have a time to return the car.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 07:22 AM
EvoM Community Team

I think all you can do at this point is explain to the floor manager that they need to make this right. That you aren't paying half of $1160 for generic HIDs. If they don't make it right then you'll take them to small claims court. Be nice, but stern.

You did not agree to what you received. Show him your texts and ask them to prove that the HIDs they installed are $1160.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 07:33 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I would contact MMNA and file a complaint. I would think installing those lights would have a negative impact on your warranty, where installing OEM equipment would not. TBH though I have no idea if mitsubishi would cover even OEM HID if the car didn't come with them.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 07:58 AM

I am in the process of filing a claim with MMNA. To clarify, I believe the dealer installed HID ballasts and HID bulbs but not the correct housing to properly disburse the light nor the headlight leveler. Hopefully MMNA can help. I will visit the dealer after work today.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
In contract law, every word counts. So if the parties agreed to HID headlights, it comes down to what is an HID headlight. Does simply adding HID bulbs make them HID headlights?

I would argue, that if you simply wanted HID "bulbs", that is what you would have bargained for in the contract.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nemsin
In contract law, every word counts. So if the parties agreed to HID headlights, it comes down to what is an HID headlight. Does simply adding HID bulbs make them HID headlights?

I would argue, that if you simply wanted HID "bulbs", that is what you would have bargained for in the contract.
This is exactly my point. I called MMNA and they claim I need to contact the general manager of the dealership. When I call up the dealer, nobody seems to know the GMs schedule and cannot tell me when he will be in. Worst customer experience Ive ever had.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 08:45 AM
EvoM Community Team

You need to go in there. The GM is usually just being shielded from angry customers
Old Apr 22, 2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
You need to go in there. The GM is usually just being shielded from angry customers
Exactly. I contacted the general manager and he claims that the managing partner/2nd gm is already aware of the situation and he plans on calling me some time today. They cant tell me when he will be in or what dealer location he will be at. Of course, the sales manager I dealt with yesterday is off for the weekend. MMNA told me to discuss the issue with the first GM I spoke to, I verified his name with MMNA. He claimed that MMNA was wrong and the 2nd GM has power over him....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Dispute