Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X 08 dealing with rust / rust prevention and more [new owner]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X 08 dealing with rust / rust prevention and more [new owner]

Hey everyone!

So I'm very new here but find it awesome that there is a site for these cars. Now on to the question though, I'm getting a 2008 Lancer Evo MR this weekend down in southern Ontario, Ottawa region, and i live 10 hours north of there in northern Ontario. So a huge concern with getting this car is frame rust or rust in general, it doesn't have a crazy amount of kilometers on the car and it seems to be taken care of well. Is there any known rusting issues with the car that I should look out for, and if so what should I do to reverse some of the rust if its happening, also what should I all do to prevent future rust, I know of under coating but just wonder if there is more I can do.

Other then that for the big concerns of the great white north. if anyone has any other tips or info on this car it would be awesome, I want to make this car last and more. The last thing I really have questions for is for parts and repairs, if you all know of any awesome sites for parts, as I know the car will need new rear suspension parts and a few small things here and there to pass safety, other then that not much.

Thank you everyone again for any help or tips you give, it'll be awesome to be a part of this community .
Old Apr 11, 2018, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Oddly, aside from the black spray painted subframe parts, bolts, and brackets, the X doesn't seem to have a lot of rust issues. The ACD pump seems to be the biggest victim of corrosion and the only real solution is the trunk relocation kit. I've had really good luck just spraying the underbody parts with Amsoil HD metal protector every other year to keep it all at bay.
The following users liked this post:
Lamothei (Apr 11, 2018)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 06:10 AM

Thanks splattj, that's some good news. and ill look into that trunk relocation kit for sure. and yea one of the first things I'm going to do is have it sprayed after me and my friend get the few repairs done that are needed for the safety.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Northern Ontario? Ouch. I'm in the south end of this garbage province and I can only imagine how bad it is 10 hours up from here :P the ACD pump warranty was extended to 160k kms incase yours happens to be dead and you have less kms than that. Where abouts are you picking up the car from? Dealership or private? A good rustproofing once a year goes a long way on these cars. My GSR is sitting at 245k and it's in good shape for the mileage and age. Clean underneath, although it hasn't seen a winter in 5-6 years that I know of.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 06:56 AM

Yea the car is around 125k on it, and its being sold by a dealership. And yea I live near the great lake area so we get around 150 inches of snow or more haha. and this sound great to hear that rust is not to bad. I currently have a Cadillac CTS 2003, and the way they made some of the changes then, theres plastic that held the snow and salt which was terrible, mind you I didn't own it first to, so it was pretty bad already. I hope to keep this car well taken care of and make sure it keeps in great condition for a long time.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
As mentioned above, there is no running away from the salt in our parts. You can spray the under body with preventative paint/oil/film but it is still going to rust.

There is just no way around it.

Also mentioned, make sure you relocate that pump to the trunk or it will fail. It's not an if it will fail but when.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Well, there is a way and I can't stress this enough if you care for your car. Winter beater. The problem with us, is the further up north you go, the longer you have to drive the beater and the less you get to enjoy the toys LOL

125,000 kilometers on a 2008 isn't bad. Should be relatively clean, even if it's from Ottawa. You will see rust on the rear subframe and some on the front, but it's just cosmetic. The rest of the body should be clean. Check the bottoms of the doors, inside and out, and the rear wheel arches, and maybe the trunk lid but that's about all that's common. Luckily mine is clean in all those spots, and most I've seen are as well. Just the subframes start to look like hell after a winter or two.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Use search:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rcarriage.html
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
another thread that maybe helpful

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-issues-3.html
Old Apr 27, 2018, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The Evo has become the winter beater. It is the best winter beater. No more worrying about dents and bad paint. Park anywhere. The freedom to enjoy what the car is best at. Patch a rust spot as needed. I have come to accept the cars true calling. Winter, salt, and rallycrosses.

"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything." -Tyler Durden
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeweyD
The Evo has become the winter beater. It is the best winter beater. No more worrying about dents and bad paint. Park anywhere. The freedom to enjoy what the car is best at. Patch a rust spot as needed. I have come to accept the cars true calling. Winter, salt, and rallycrosses.

"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything." -Tyler Durden
^love this!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

If you can afford an Evo as a winter beater, power to you. I'm not that rich.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DeweyD

Same. I understand why people want to keep them around and preserve them but to me it's just a car. If I had to drive around in some beater while a perfectly fine car just sat for the Winter months, I would hate it.