Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

ETS exhaust on stock cat

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETS exhaust on stock cat

Hey guys, I'm sure this is beat to death daily, but I can't seem to find a definite answer. Can I install my ets exhaust on a stock cat WITHOUT the adapter flange they sell? I just recently found out ETS won't sell to CA anymore(and I don't blame then really...) So I have no way of buying it from them. Has anyone installed their 3in.(ETS preferred) exhaust on with a stock cat and not had any problems? I read that I would have to cut/bent the heat shield to make room for the flange, and I'm ok with that. Thanks!
Old May 10, 2018, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Yes you’ll have to cut/bend the flange that is attached to the cat to make it fit. This is what I did as I bought my ETS V2 second hand and didn’t feel like waiting for the adapter lol.
Old May 10, 2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Yes you’ll have to cut/bend the flange that is attached to the cat to make it fit. This is what I did as I bought my ETS V2 second hand and didn’t feel like waiting for the adapter lol.
Sweet, thanks man! Yeah, I bought mine second hand also, but now I don't have a choice of buying the adapter anymore lol. Another quetion if you don't mind, Which gasket did you use? the OEM, the oem size, or a 3in.?
EDIT: did you mean cut/bend the heat shield or the actual flange?

Last edited by ramento24; May 10, 2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 10, 2018, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ramento24
Sweet, thanks man! Yeah, I bought mine second hand also, but now I don't have a choice of buying the adapter anymore lol. Another quetion if you don't mind, Which gasket did you use? the OEM, the oem size, or a 3in.?
i used a vibrant 3” 2 boot gasket. And sorry meant the heat shield that covers the flange.
Old May 11, 2018, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you try to buy from other vendors that carry the ETS exhaust?
Old May 11, 2018, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I have been running the ETS V2 extreme with the stock cat for about a year now and i just used a regulate exhaust gasket, nothing fancy!!

Yes you have to cut the heat shield around the cat flang
The stock bolts from the mid pipe to the cat dont leave you much room to get a socket on them once you put the 3" ETS on there so...... get yourself an nice open ended wrench to tighten them back on
Use anti-seize on the bolt threads, this will help you in the long run!
drive the car for a while to get some heat into the exhaust to let everything expand. once it cools back down, check the bolts again to make sure they didn't back out at all!

Then enjoy!!!!
Old May 11, 2018, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Why do they not sell to Cali anymore?
Old May 11, 2018, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Because of the California Smog ****'s. You can still get it through places like Ebay and craigslist though. The only thing I have not been able to buy at ALL is Berkebile Oil 2 + 2 B101 Instant Gum Cutter. I hear that stuff is strong as hell.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainCrunch (May 11, 2018)
Old May 11, 2018, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Last I heard ETS was trying to get some of their products smog tested/certified.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:36 AM

i used a vibrant 3” 2 boot gasket. And sorry meant the heat shield that covers the flange.
Sweet, luckily that's what I bought haha. I'll give that a try, thanks man!

Originally Posted by jayevo23
Did you try to buy from other vendors that carry the ETS exhaust?
Yeah, I tried MAP but they told me they woul have to order it from ETS, then they could ship it to me. about 2 weeks wait time and $20+ for shipping. I didn't want to wait lol.

Originally Posted by EVOX84
I have been running the ETS V2 extreme with the stock cat for about a year now and i just used a regulate exhaust gasket, nothing fancy!!

Yes you have to cut the heat shield around the cat flang
The stock bolts from the mid pipe to the cat dont leave you much room to get a socket on them once you put the 3" ETS on there so...... get yourself an nice open ended wrench to tighten them back on
Use anti-seize on the bolt threads, this will help you in the long run!
drive the car for a while to get some heat into the exhaust to let everything expand. once it cools back down, check the bolts again to make sure they didn't back out at all!

Then enjoy!!!!
Sweet, I'm going to give it a go today, thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated!
Old May 11, 2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Yeah, they told me other companies/ vendors were getting fined from CARB. Welcome to commiefornia I guess, the only way you can have fun here is if your rich lol
Old May 11, 2018, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah, they told me other companies/ vendors were getting fined from CARB. Welcome to commiefornia I guess, the only way you can have fun here is if your rich lol

YEP!!!! I lived there in Laguna for 6 years and moved back to Chicago.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You just have to bend the heat shield out of the way.
Old May 30, 2018, 06:31 AM

I have the ETS Extreme w/ stock cat on my car for couple years now. I got the adapter flange for $20. Also, instead of cutting/bending the heat shield, I just removed it completely. Few track days and countless canyon runs already and everything seems fine so far.
I’m also getting a V3 Quiet muffler to swap out the Extreme since I’m kinda get tired of it now. Gonna have to do it thru MAP since I live in CA
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm more confused now because I'm interested in the ETS V2 Quiet WITH the Adaptor Flange. So, if I purchase these two items (catback + adaptor), will other modifications (bending the flange attached to cat) need to be made or does the Flange adapter from ETS eliminate the need to do this?

Thanks