Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Building a bullet proof 4B11T

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Building a bullet proof 4B11T

Hi everyone,

I need some of your help and guidance on good brand's and set up with forged internals/ turbo set ups . I want to make my engine strong and make it durable when upgrading turbos and pushing more psi on the engine. I want to make around 450-500 whp

I'm sure this thread will help other out as well.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
a) You can get the AMS 2.2L big bore 4B11T crate engine. It is supposedly very well built. (Link: https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/...e-engine.html/)

b) MAPerformance also build 4B11T engine. It is likely cheaper with MAP, and they are also a reputable player out there. (Link: https://www.maperformance.com/produc...tion-x-stage-2)

In order to make the engine strong and durable, it has to be built by a very capable shop. Therefore, above are the two shops that come to my mind.

Last edited by Lightsaber; Jul 2, 2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Links added
Old Jul 1, 2018, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
a) You can get the AMS 2.2L big bore 4B11T crate engine. It is supposedly very well built.

b) MAPerformance also build 4B11T engine. It is likely cheaper with MAP, and they are also a reputable player out there.

In order to make the engine strong and durable, it has to be built by a very capable shop. Therefore, above are the two shops that come to my mind.
Can I get some links to these two.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 08:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
MAP is your WORST option for any engine building service.

AMS doesn't even list a price for their engines anymore.

If you want the best 4b11 engine, go with English Racing. They're the only company who has done real world development on the engine, and being holder of the quickest and fastest records for the platform in 1/4 and 1/2 mile racing shows it.

That being said. You do not need a built motor to make 450-500whp. A turbo kit with a Precision 5858 or gen2 5558, and GSC S2's cams will do it no problem.
The following users liked this post:
donny_utah (Jul 2, 2018)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
MAP is your WORST option for any engine building service.

AMS doesn't even list a price for their engines anymore.

If you want the best 4b11 engine, go with English Racing. They're the only company who has done real world development on the engine, and being holder of the quickest and fastest records for the platform in 1/4 and 1/2 mile racing shows it.

That being said. You do not need a built motor to make 450-500whp. A turbo kit with a Precision 5858 or gen2 5558, and GSC S2's cams will do it no problem.

Agreed!!!

AMS doesn't want to help you unless you have big money.....

English racing is the way to go or Kozmic in TX

Go look at the dyno threads below and you will see ETS using English Racing making 400+ with just fuel and turbo upgrades on stock block, head and cams on pump gas.... Added GSC S2 cams, Beehive Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers and makes 500

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...turbo-kit.html

Second build same people with built motor and some other goodies

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...flex-fuel.html
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

English Racing is likely cheaper for sure. None of these is close to the OP's location, and it will be up to him to call around, compare, and decide.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
English Racing is likely cheaper for sure. None of these is close to the OP's location, and it will be up to him to call around, compare, and decide.
avoid recommending big bore motors to people. The big bore motors are known to be crap due the major head gasket issues...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
avoid recommending big bore motors to people. The big bore motors are known to be crap due the major head gasket issues...
My understanding is that stroker engines don't last long and thus are not ideal for street use. For street and daily, big bore is durable and helps lower the turbo engagement RPM by ~400 or so, making it more enjoyable to drive.

I have never heard of anyone of my friends of running into "major head gasket issues" with a 2.2L big bore block. With the right gasket and assembly it should not be an issue. Do you mean poorly assembly big bore engines will likely have "major head gasket issues", or that no matter how it's built, even the best built big bore engines will have "major head gasket issues" inevitably?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

It's nothing to do with ER being cheaper. What records does AMS hold for the EvoX?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

It's nothing to do with ER being cheaper. What records does AMS hold for the EvoX?
Dude, I don't care. If you are pushing English Racing that hard, might as well give the OP some specifics on what specs you think you would order. English Racing provides a myriad of options just like everyone else.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Dude, I don't care. If you are pushing English Racing that hard, might as well give the OP some specifics on what specs you think you would order. English Racing provides a myriad of options just like everyone else.
I push them because they support and better the platform. They race the platform. AMS does neither.

ER has a few different 2.0L options, and that's it. Because the big bore motors just use up bore size for rebuilds, and the stroker cranks for the 4b11 have a terrible rod ratio and they pull the piston skirt out of the bottom of the sleeve. Which is less than ideal.

You're in here pushing shops that you've never even used. And you suggested MAP, who has history of building engines and other products that have nothing but problems.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

And you suggested MAP, who has history of building engines and other products that have nothing but problems.
That's not what I have heard:

Originally Posted by Darksun280
Hmmm so a built and shipped to your door block. I'd have to say MAP just cause I know a bunch of people who have their built blocks in the car and have no issues. [...]
Do you happen to have some links documenting these MAP-built engines' problems, so we can be informed and go with better choices?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
That's not what I have heard:

Do you happen to have some links documenting these MAP-built engines' problems, so we can be informed and go with better choices?
How about living proof? MAP faked my blueprints and sent me a 2.3 liter block that burned oil to the moon. Check out my build thread, the blueprints are in there. I was stoked about them until this happened.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
How about living proof? MAP faked my blueprints and sent me a 2.3 liter block that burned oil to the moon. Check out my build thread, the blueprints are in there. I was stoked about them until this happened.
Ouch..

I found the post you mentioned:

Gentlemen,

It is with a mournful heart that I must share my engine is still burning oil. After all the work and preparations to prevent a mishap like this, it still happened. Cylinders 3 and 4 are still wet and I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the oil rings. Even then so, I don't understand how the compression rings wouldn't just scrape the oil off the walls since they are after the oil rings. What are the odds that it is a head gasket failure if my coolant is clean? No blue smoke at startup, but there is blue smoke in boost, especially during the first 2 pulls of the day.

I can't blame the engine builder yet without actually knowing what's going on.

So in summary, I'm tired guys. I don't know what to do next other than change the head gasket using new head studs and hope for the best. What would you guys do next?

-pal215
Moment of truth. How are the specs and is it actually a 9.2:1 Block ?

-pal215
Old Jul 2, 2018, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Ouch..

I found the post you mentioned:
To this day, I still don't know why they threw it together like that. I ended up taking it apart and rebuilding it myself. It's been great ever since.

Quick Reply: Building a bullet proof 4B11T