Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Old Dec 6, 2018, 06:19 PM

Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Well it's winter here in NY and it's getting to the point where I'm putting my car away for the winter.

So, I usually winterize my car by throwing in some fuel stabilizer to a full tank and by plugging my car into a battery tender.

I was thinking of adding tire ramps this year. What do you think of these Bunkerwall Tire Ramps?

Does anyone use ramps? Or are they a waste? My mindset was that for $60, I would get some piece of mind that my tires won't go flat during the 5 or so months my car is out of commission - especially since I have to garage it in a facility that I cannot access until springtime.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Pump the tires up to max pressure on the sidewall and they'll be fine. Radial tires don't flat spot in just a few months.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 08:06 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Lots of opinions on this topic if check on YT.

Most do say that flat spotting is a non issue. Some put the car on jack stands to
relieve the suspension / tire loads

Some cap off exhaust pipes to prevent rodents

We certainly have enough cold weather guys, on the boards, that can give you advice
Old Dec 7, 2018, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Jack stands if anything, ramps is the same as leaving it on the ground.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I have stored my X every winter since 2014. I have always parked the car using 'normal' street pressures and never experienced any flat spotting.

Car is parked in a non-climate controlled garage (though I don't think I've ever seen below freezing temp in there), on a concrete floor.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Prime12 View Post
I have stored my X every winter since 2014. I have always parked the car using 'normal' street pressures and never experienced any flat spotting.

Car is parked in a non-climate controlled garage (though I don't think I've ever seen below freezing temp in there), on a concrete floor.
I agree with this, but since the op seems concerned, pumping the tires up does reduce the potential for flat spots developing. Every tire is different but radials don't generally do it. If they do, it typically goes away after some driving.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

I've used race ramps flat stoppers for the past few years and zero issues the car is normally away from november-march
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:18 PM

I never understood this... it's a AWD car designed for such.. why is it put up for the winter as if it's a RWD car? Do they suck in winter time, or is this were the wrx is better?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 02:36 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robert Wesker View Post
I never understood this... it's a AWD car designed for such.. why is it put up for the winter as if it's a RWD car? Do they suck in winter time, or is this were the wrx is better?
The concerns i would have, for those that live in the snow environment, are the following:
  • Sodium chloride
  • Magnesuium chloride
  • Calcium chloride
These de-icers will tear-up auto sheet metal, alum & electrical components

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 30, 2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I’ve used race ramps to store for over 6 months...my tires stuck to the ramps and trying to separate the ramps were damaged.
plus Race ramps state not to store on for long periods

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.