Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Gauging interest: FQ400 Bumper Vent

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub'd
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MadBoostedEvo
For the right price and the right look, I will rock the **** out of it.
same here. this would induce colder air into the intake rather than ambient engine air temp going into the intake.

brainstorm on the price and let us know, become a vendor and then make money coz theres a lot of interest....including me.
The following users liked this post:
Rix_ralliart (Dec 21, 2023)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the price is right I would be interested..it looks great on the Z
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Drew314
The design, as it is, being still in process, is cut the bumper and screw together. I don't like the permanency of rivets.
It doesn't get anymore permanent than cutting a big square in your bumper. You have a ship sailed, or horse out of barn situation. So rivets shouldn't be of concern at this point. My Z was riveted, then I used a black sharpy to color the rivets.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great! I can't believe that no one has started making this yet.

Quick question. Would it make any difference if you put a cover on the snorkel like the PWJDM intake has? With something like that the intake will get nothing but cold air going into it right?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ZLAYER
It doesn't get anymore permanent than cutting a big square in your bumper. You have a ship sailed, or horse out of barn situation. So rivets shouldn't be of concern at this point. My Z was riveted, then I used a black sharpy to color the rivets.
Not "not permanent" in a sense that you want to remove it and leave a hole in your bumper. I mean "not permanent" in a sense that if one decides to change their color scheme, and you want to take it off to paint it purple with green dots, you need a screwdriver, not a drill.

Also, the advantage of machine screws over rivets is that machine screws work with blind holes and rivets need through holes. This design mounts from the back, so there is nothing on the front bezel but a nice, smooth surface. Not rivet heads or screw heads.

Last edited by Drew314; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steven_Trujillo
Looks great! I can't believe that no one has started making this yet.

Quick question. Would it make any difference if you put a cover on the snorkel like the PWJDM intake has? With something like that the intake will get nothing but cold air going into it right?
If going with option 2, and modifying the radiator cover, it will ensure that almost all of the air ingested by the snorkel is from the new opening. The downside with option 2 is that if you drive your car in wet conditions, the air and the water in the air have a direct path to your snorkel. That's why I am proposing two options. One essentially identical to the actual FQ400, and one for people who never see rain, or only track their cars.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Interested depending on the price and depending on how it installs.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:15 AM

I would def be in of this. If the right price of course.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:31 AM

If going with option 2, and modifying the radiator cover, it will ensure that almost all of the air ingested by the snorkel is from the new opening. The downside with option 2 is that if you drive your car in wet conditions, the air and the water in the air have a direct path to your snorkel. That's why I am proposing two options. One essentially identical to the actual FQ400, and one for people who never see rain, or only track their cars.
I had this set up on my Z with hose routed directly to my intake filter for a few years through several down pours with no ill effects. Interestingly, the z had the exact same filter location. Also interesting is the fact that I'm using the intake from my Z (Jim Wolfe pop charger) on my X. So the setup would be identical.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

I had the JWT intake on my Z roadster. Sounded amazing. I think the bumper vent looks great.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to get the pop charger for my z as well, but they didnt have it when I was on the market for intakes for the HR engine...so I went with aem.

Anyways, I'm in if the price is right.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:26 AM

I'm pretty sure you will not have an issue with water. When you car is moving through the rain its unlikely enough water would get in there to get to the filter. Unless of course you enjoy driving through massive puddles and splashing old ladies walking on the street. The most extreme case of water being ingested would IMO be on the track where standing water is thrown up from the car infront and the close following distances that come with racing.

These vents are awesome if my JDM VII had a bumper that could take them I'd be very keen.

Last edited by KStyle; Oct 27, 2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KStyle
I'm pretty sure you will not have an issue with water. When you car is moving through the rain its unlikely enough water would get in there to get to the filter. Unless of course you enjoy driving through massive puddles and splashing old ladies walking on the street. The most extreme case of water being ingested would IMO be on the track where standing water is thrown up from the car infront and the close following distances that come with racing.

These vents are awesome if my JDM VII had a bumper that could take them I'd be very keen.
Maybe look at an 8/9 design next
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Put the price up and I'm in, potentially. I think you could do a group buy thing. Let us know kind sir.
The following users liked this post:
Rix_ralliart (Dec 21, 2023)

Quick Reply: Gauging interest: FQ400 Bumper Vent