Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: How do you feel about CF?
CF looks good on ANY color
33.01%
CF looks good on SOME colors
50.49%
CF makes you look like an idiot, why didn't you spend your money on performance mods?
16.50%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

How does everybody feel about Carbon Fiber?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uscbryan
I think it can be over used. But a few pieces tactfully done is nice. The lip is good. Not a fan of unpainted cf hood or trunk. From a distance it just looks like you were in an accident, replaced the parts but couldn't afford to paint them. I think it can be decent if part of the hood is unpainted. I saw one painted car color on both sides, I think following the body lines of the hood, and left black in the middle. I just don't think that body panels that are next to each other should be different colors.
+1. I see too much CF used. I think it should be used tactfully and tastefully, a bit here and there. Absolutely no to an unpainted CF hood or trunk, it just looks wrong. Plus, CF everywhere with little to no performance mods just kills it for me. Performance cars should have strong mechanical performance first, then the frills and feathers.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I make carbon (private label vendor stuff for our vendor here- LowProAero- and Mits dealerships soon)
here's my own Evo I did, got twill on the column there, and the crown meter/dash done in dry look matte finish, and there's a stealth 52mm innovate in the cluster there:

How does everybody feel about Carbon Fiber?-hfexhrm.jpg

some inserts there

and if you dont think ^that^ is sexy, well, there's no hope!

^that's a shifter trim with the ashtray and 12v removed/relocated, smoothed, carboned with a 12k weave and then a little magic to get that bronzed look

This stuff here is my specially. It's hard to tell from the pic, but this is a steering column done in 2x2 twill weave. But again, I put some magic up on it. What you're looking at is House of Kolor blue pearl (...kinda..not the purple part), and that purple? It disappears in direct light. See how the top there has no color? It actually does, same purple, but you can ONLY see the purple from ~80 degree viewing angle. The rest is clear into to the HoK and weave. It's called "side casting". It's tricky to do, but I mean, come on-look at it!! I got followed by a guy the other day that wants me to do his entire GT-R exterior in it. I love carbon fiber...but that wod be pretty intense even for me

Last edited by ikt; Mar 21, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

^^^^^ We don't play around!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:49 PM

Carbon fiber carbon fiber wrap
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by m3mods
Carbon fiber carbon fiber wrap
Aw really? I don't know, I've gotten a lot of compliments on my cf wrap.

And to answer OP's question, CF has grown on me a lot more over the last few years. Used to think it made the car look incomplete and dumb. I guess I need more "craziness" to satisfy my car tastes these days. Or I've become a giant douche bag, one or the other. haha.

Last edited by NeedBoost!; Jan 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Not a fan of Carbon Fiber. Wish the JDP Ralliart lip would come in a FRP material. if I had a WW, I would run a carbon fiber front lip and side skirt extensions and MAYBE a diffuser.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
carbon fiber is wonderful. It is extremely strong for it's weight. As such I think it's an amazing product.

If we are asking how everyone feels about the appearance of CF, that's personal preference and people should just do what they like or don't.

But replace your doors with CF doors and you'll save soo much weight. And reducing weight on a car is often the most beneficial thing you can do to increase performance. So for that, I LOVE carbon fiber.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 01:34 PM

Form follows function... if it serves a legitimate purpose (e.g. massive weight savings and/or structural) = awesome. Waste of time if just for show (e.g. interior covers)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:12 AM

One place I wish there could of been a factory option for carbon was for the interior trim parts on the dash ad side doors. The black shinny stuff just isn't that pretty to me. I ben sen a few cars whit a carbon warp on these and though that it looked pretty cool.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I think carbon fiber is nice with any color. It's not a real good idea to have a carbon fiber front lip though...It's almost a guarantee to start getting cracks/'spider webs' from rocks and road debris hitting it.