Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

need help picking out coilovers,

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help picking out coilovers,

hello every, im looking to buy some coilover’s here in the near future. and I am finding out there are a lot to choose from for the price range im looking at.

so far these 4 coilover sets are all in the 800-900 price range,

k-sports
Megan racing
d2 racing
bc coilovers

has any one used any of these is there 1 better then the other ?

im not sure if anyone has touched this subject before but any unbiased non vendor insight would be great

they all do same basic functions to me, im not a huge track guy i go every few months and maybe do a road course race 2-3 times a year i would be using them more for looks and the ocasional weekend track event,

thanks again

Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the general concensus is that the entry level coilovers will give you entry level results. For what you are considering them for I still think they can do better than most of the lowering springs with stock shock combos for handling assuming you stick with 8k/8k or 10k/10k combos and don't drop the car beyond 1"-1.5" max. Avoid going with softer springs in the rear, and only get stiffer in the rear if you know they are going to revalve the shocks to handle them. On decent street tires I wouldn't go more aggressive than a 10k/12k combo which is what I'm going to be testing out with the BC Racing ER series. The entry level BC coilovers are probably your best bet if you follow the guidlines I gave.

Many people will also say "save another $1000 and get real coilovers" which will definitely get you more quality although spending more than $2000 when just starting out might be overkill for the amount of difference you will feel on the track at the limits. Hope that helped.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by solarevo
im not sure if anyone has touched this subject before but any unbiased non vendor insight would be great
MANY MANY MANY times before (in fact three times in the last week).

Maybe a visit to the search function would help you?

Most people are going to tell you one or more of the following options:
1) those are all junk don't waste your money
2) get springs and sways for less money
3) spend $3k+ or go home
4) BC makes the best coilovers bar none
5) Get XXX brand coilovers because they are the best
6) I like cheese
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

thanks hiboost for the helpful information, just need to some reassurance and which are good and have been used and which ones to avoid,

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I think the general concensus is that the entry level coilovers will give you entry level results. For what you are considering them for I still think they can do better than most of the lowering springs with stock shock combos for handling assuming you stick with 8k/8k or 10k/10k combos and don't drop the car beyond 1"-1.5" max. Avoid going with softer springs in the rear, and only get stiffer in the rear if you know they are going to revalve the shocks to handle them. On decent street tires I wouldn't go more aggressive than a 10k/12k combo which is what I'm going to be testing out with the BC Racing ER series. The entry level BC coilovers are probably your best bet if you follow the guidlines I gave.

Many people will also say "save another $1000 and get real coilovers" which will definitely get you more quality although spending more than $2000 when just starting out might be overkill for the amount of difference you will feel on the track at the limits. Hope that helped.
Originally Posted by goofygrin
MANY MANY MANY times before (in fact three times in the last week).

Maybe a visit to the search function would help you?

Most people are going to tell you one or more of the following options:
1) those are all junk don't waste your money
2) get springs and sways for less money
3) spend $3k+ or go home
4) BC makes the best coilovers bar none
5) Get XXX brand coilovers because they are the best
6) I like cheese
sorry goofygin i look for some of the past posts i didn’t see anything or a list of coil over for that price range,

next time i will do a search for "i like cheese" =>

also i don’t have the leisure of spending $3,000 for a coilover set up or even $2,000 for a set. I am buying wider rims and tires also at the same time for $2,000 so 5 grand for rims/tires/coilovers are out of the question,

i probably could but the wife would divorce me =>
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

If your budget is $800, but springs and a set of sways and be done with it. You'll get higher quality components likely and will have less stuff to change/mess up/worry about at the track.

And you can get those for < $800 and make the wife happy!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-nothing.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lovers-ty.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ight=coilovers

etc etc etc.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=567

done.

forget coilovers.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed.

If you are heart set on getting coilovers, I would save what you have now, and wait. But if you have an itch to burn some money (we all do) then def would do springs (SWIFTS would be my recommendation), and swaybar set and call it a day. Spending 800-1k on a coilover set will net you poor results (noisy, un-durable) for even the street (would be terrible under track conditions).

Good luck, and keep us updated with you decisions, as well as pics!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed.

If you are heart set on getting coilovers, I would save what you have now, and wait. But if you have an itch to burn some money (we all do) then def would do springs, and swaybar set and call it a day. Spending 800-1k on a coilover set will net you poor results (noisy, un-durable) for even the street (would be terrible under track conditions). Talk to Devin@SPEEDELEMENT (Google) he is great with maximizing your dollar for the best set up when it comes to suspension.

Good luck, and keep us updated with you decisions, as well as pics!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

thanks every one for all the great information,

remember this is more for looks then performance im not at the track every weekend, and dont want to spend $3,000 for something i will never get the full use out of, " im not a track freak "

im willing to spend some more money but $2,000 is out of the question, a biger turbo set up would come before that , i cant justify double or triple the price for something i will rarly use,

so far the bc's is the way i will probably go

sory abought the repost guys

Last edited by solarevo; Mar 1, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by solarevo
thanks every one for all the great information,

remember this is more for looks then performance im not at the track every weekend, and dont want to spend $3,000 for something i will never get the full use out of, " im not a track freak "

im willing to spend some more money but $2,000 is out of the question, a biger turbo set up would come before that , i cant justify double or triple the price for something i will rarly use,

so far the bc's is the way i will probably go

sory abought the repost guys
why ask for our advice if you're just going to buy what you want anyway?

never understood why people do this.

no one in here has told you to buy coils.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Out of those options you should choose the BC's.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^yeah i would go BC's too. thats what i'm getting... i'm not willing to spend 2k on a set of coilovers either.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

looks like the bc racing headquarters is 2 miles down the street from my office here in orlando ! go figure

im checking on some pricing for the bc's its good to know if anything happens to them they are right up the street and good reviews from the boards

Last edited by solarevo; Mar 2, 2010 at 06:39 AM.