Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Insane Tire Wear on Continental DWS's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow are both rear tires the same as the one in the picture? I'm betting the rear alignment combined with added weight in trunk although not significant combined with high speed freeway driving just toasted the tire check alignment asap
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That tire has been nuked into tomorrow. And thats 3 months. Go to the dealership. its possible they can give you an alignment check out of compassion. cause something is up with your ride.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

First two tire shops I went to in Yucca Valley told me I would need 4 tires b/c the car is AWD, but they didn't have any in stock. Called a place in the Palm Springs area that had tires and went there, praying I didn't have a blowout the whole way.

Turns out I only needed 2 tires: my fronts have 8/32" tread, the new rear tires would have 10/32", since this is within 4/32" margin it shouldn't risk damaging my center differential. I figure since he wasn't leveraging the "you'll break your car otherwise" argument to sell me more tires, he must know what he's talking about. *shrug* So now my car has Continental DWS in the front and Michellin Pilot Sport PS2 in the rear.

Next I went to an alignment shop. Here are the interesting results:

Front L Toe -0.10°
Front R Toe 0.10° Spec Range: [-0.15 0.15]
Rear L Camber -0.3°
Rear R Camber -0.9° Spec Range: [-1.5 -0.5]
Rear L Toe 1.2°
Rear R Toe 0.05° Spec Range: [0.05 0.35]

So the L wheel was waaaay out of spec. The Left tire was worn somewhat worse than the right but both were toast. I'm not sure if one of the potholes I hit driving 2,800 miles cross-country was particularly bad or what...

Now the car is aligned but I'm rolling on mixed rubber for at least the time-being. I might get new Michellins before the month is out, and just not drive *too* much in the meantime, but at least my car is usable again.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

I donno about the two different tires on the front and rear, its not common practice - probably isn't a good thing. The difference in grip of the front from the rear probably can throw off your ACD. I also presume the PS2s are much grippier than the DWS
Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:26 AM

Did you or did you not have the car aligned when you had the initial complete set of tires installed? If you DID, then somebody owes you some money. I'd be asking for a set of tires, and you at least deserve whatever you paid for the alignment. If you didn't have this done, lesson learned the hard way.

The reason your right side rear tire was worn out, albeit, not as bad as the right, is because it was under constant pressure/resistances from the left-hand tire which was trying to pull the car sideways, while your right-hand side was trying to keep you straight. As you might imagine, this would take quite a toll on the tire that was aimed (toe'd) correctly.

It's not potholes! It's not brakes! I would imagine you could do 20 track lapping days on tires with such high tread-wear and not wear them to the extent you wore those driving across the country. It was simply an alignment issue.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laksman91
I donno about the two different tires on the front and rear, its not common practice - probably isn't a good thing. The difference in grip of the front from the rear probably can throw off your ACD. I also presume the PS2s are much grippier than the DWS
No.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KyleH
Did you or did you not have the car aligned when you had the initial complete set of tires installed? If you DID, then somebody owes you some money. I'd be asking for a set of tires, and you at least deserve whatever you paid for the alignment. If you didn't have this done, lesson learned the hard way.
^This. Unfortunately. I checked my receipt, no alignment done.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

****ty deal. i cant believe you didnt notice anything weird with the way the car drove.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

other than opinions, this forum is becoming less of a "resource" every day...

someone hasn't been rotating their tires... :-P
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by industry
other than opinions, this forum is becoming less of a "resource" every day...

someone hasn't been rotating their tires... :-P
Wrong, it was toe out of spec, as he listed in #18.

A bunch of people said toe was out of spec and post #18 proves it.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:25 AM

definitely an alignment issue
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:07 AM

Geez wat a convoluted mess of correct info and wrong opinions portrayed as facts...

Yes, alignment issue, crappy situation but oh well...

Using mismatched tires isnt a big deal as long as the CIRCUMFERENCE differences arent substantial. Just because ur dws has 8/32 and ur ps2 has 10/32 doesnt mean its only a 4/32 difference... doff manufacturers have varying overall tire height and etc. We had this happen at the track. Buddy of mine popped 1 of his brand new nt05s and the only tire we cld source zlocally was some sumitomo, the treads were close but we used a tape measure to measure circumference and there was over an inch of discrepency. How badly would that mess up ur car? I dont claim to know, but just something to consider.

Cheers!