Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

comfort DD: springs or coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want a low looking car then go with eibach. The swift drop isn't as low
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Andrew -

I noticed that the spring-rate chart for Evo Xs lists the Swift Sport Mach, but not the Swift Sport. Until five minutes ago, I assumed that these were the same, but when I clicked on the link to your site and saw the picture of Swift Sports, they are clearly not progressive.

Given that the OP wants a comfy spring for a DD, I assume that he wants the Swift Sport Machs more than he wants the Swift Sports. Maybe you could do something to get that spring-rate chart updated so that the difference between the two is clear.

Or am I completely missing some critical point?
Swift Sport Mach = Swift Sport

The more aggressive version is the Swift Spec R, a little lower and firmer. Those do not appear to be on the chart.

The spring rates for our GTWORX springs are incorrect on that chart too...no idea where they got those numbers from.

The picture on our site is some Swift file photo, not of the actual springs for the EVO.

The Swift Sport (aka Sport Mach) would be a great choice for him if he is happy with the relatively mild drop. The only reason we didn't go with a drop that mild is because we wanted the firmer rates, and you just can't do that on the X without going a little lower (for no other reason then physical limitations between the spring perches).

It would be a good idea for someone to add the Swift Spec R and correct our spring rates in that thread. Any mod want to do that?

- Andrew
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:35 PM

As many have said, depends entirely on budget. You can't touch the ride quality of well adjusted coilovers.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
The spring rates for our GTWORX springs are incorrect on that chart too...no idea where they got those numbers from.

The picture on our site is some Swift file photo, not of the actual springs for the EVO.
Got it. It was the picture on your site that threw me, since those are clear not progressive. To be honest and blunt, it surprises me that you'd have a non-actual photo on your site to mess with our heads; that doesn't seem your style. You're normally very precise. [Note how I both compliment you and slam you at the same time; that is definitely my style. ]

cheers
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Got it. It was the picture on your site that threw me, since those are clear not progressive. To be honest and blunt, it surprises me that you'd have a non-actual photo on your site to mess with our heads; that doesn't seem your style. You're normally very precise. [Note how I both compliment you and slam you at the same time; that is definitely my style. ]

cheers
Ha! I thought subtle backhanded compliments/insults were my thing!

Anyway, I guess we don't care as much when it isn't our own parts and we often put those up before we get our first stock to take a picture of. But you're right, we should at least say "photo not of actual product" or something.

- andrew
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:36 AM

I started with Eibachs as well, just doing it for looks. And then the shocks went, and I had to replace them.

Switched over to HSD coilovers (~ $1200) and the ride comfort between Eibachs and HSD coilovers are very similar except the coilovers were not bouncy like the springs, but the ride was still really good.

If i had a chance to do it again, i'd go with the coilovers right off the bat, and save myself the time and grief of installing the Eibach springs and then having to replace them later.

The dampeners aren't even set to full soft. i'm right in the middle and they deliver a really good feel. Even the wife likes how the car feels, and she says it drives much better than it did with the Eibachs in there.

The Eibach springs lower the car to the point where there is no fender gap, but the ride is way too bouncy. There were times I had just thought about switching the Eibachs back to the stock springs to get the car to be less bouncy.

If you don't plan to track the car or autox the car, a moderately priced set of coilovers will do you just fine for daily driving.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

What's the drop on the gtworx compared to the eibachs?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:13 PM

IMO, coilovers>springs in every aspect.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sfearl1
x2 photo comparison!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Doctor Murdock2
IMO, coilovers>springs in every aspect.
Some springs suck, some coilovers suck. It all depends.

Originally Posted by sfearl1
The Eibachs are probably around .25 to .5 inches lower up front and .25 in the rear. The spring rate is a good bit softer on the Eibachs though.

- drew