Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

No dust pads

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No dust pads

Just bought white wheels for daily. I am willing to sacrifice braking performance while exercising daily grocery getting. Does anyone know of ZERO dust pads? Like none, I've tried those "minimal" pads like the stop tech ones. I know brake dust is an uphill battle, but I'm trying to alleviate cleaning my wheels after every single time I exit the vehicle. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:01 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by awdxftw
Just bought white wheels for daily. I am willing to sacrifice braking performance while exercising daily grocery getting. Does anyone know of ZERO dust pads? Like none, I've tried those "minimal" pads like the stop tech ones. I know brake dust is an uphill battle, but I'm trying to alleviate cleaning my wheels after every single time I exit the vehicle. Thanks in advance!
Think about what the dust physically is.

brakes work with friction, and you have 2 surfaces rubbing together. Think of a sanding down some wood- it creates dust when one surface is worn away. The only way to have no dust would be no friction, and that won't get you far.

What you want is less dust to STICK to the wheels. For that I suggest ceramic pads. I always switch to ceramic pads on my cars the first time I do my brakes.
The following users liked this post:
awdxftw (Jul 15, 2017)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You own a performance car. Live with it.

Also, all brake pads dust, especially with white wheels.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think you'll have any luck finding dust-less pads.
Look into ceramic coating the wheels, something like Ceramic Pro or OptiCoat. It won't reduce the dust, but it will reduce how much of the dust sticks and makes the removal of the rest so much easier.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Raybestos EHT's, unfortunately they only make them for the front. EHT1001 is the part number.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 07:30 AM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently switched from Stoptech pads to Magic pads. Stopping power isn't quite as firm but the dust seems a lot more fine and doesn't build up as much. My SBC RPF1s stay shinier throughout the week now than they did with the stoptech.

Leo from MAP gave me a killer deal on their stage 1 kit (magic pads, motul fluid and steel braided lines).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
Think about what the dust physically is.

brakes work with friction, and you have 2 surfaces rubbing together. Think of a sanding down some wood- it creates dust when one surface is worn away. The only way to have no dust would be no friction, and that won't get you far.

What you want is less dust to STICK to the wheels.
For that I suggest ceramic pads. I always switch to ceramic pads on my cars the first time I do my brakes.
Agree 100%.

Brake dust is unavoidable, but the condition of the wheel is certainly under one's control. A ceramic coating will prevent brake dust from adhering to the surface; most of the it can simply be hosed off. This solution did not exist until fairly recently. It offers long term durability. Totally different technology than traditional waxes and sealants.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:46 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Agree 100%.

Brake dust is unavoidable, but the condition of the wheel is certainly under one's control. A ceramic coating will prevent brake dust from adhering to the surface; most of the it can simply be hosed off. This solution did not exist until fairly recently. It offers long term durability. Totally different technology than traditional waxes and sealants.
Info on pads I intend on buying to that are ceramic pads...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:59 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Agree 100%.
A ceramic coating will prevent brake dust from adhering to the surface; most of the it can simply be hosed off. This solution did not exist until fairly recently.

Any informative links you can provide?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You own a performance car. Live with it.

Also, all brake pads dust, especially with white wheels.
bro relax it's a Mitsubishi.

Thanks everyone else. I have stop-techs now and I swear it's no different from oem dust wise. I also don't mind the bite it's a great pad.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 03:10 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
Any informative links you can provide?
https://www.carpro-us.com/coatings-s...-30ml-sky-kit/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Gyeon-M...1413/30-ml-S1/

There are other products, as well, based on the same technology. In essence, it adds SiO2 into the equation. For paint, too. A single coat lasts, on average, 1.5-2 years. Less on wheels. With hard driving, a good 5K miles. Obviously, a bit more with a tame pilot at the helm.

There's a lot more involved in prepping paint for a coating, but wheels are pretty easy: thoroughly clean, wipe down with a 50:50 solution of drugstore alcohol and water, and apply the product. Remove any access. There are many instructional videos on Youtube. While quite a few of the vids, as you may imagine, display a degree of undiluted ignorance, they do illustrate the process for our intents and purposes. I'd be happy to comment further if you, or others, have specific questions.
The following users liked this post:
awdxftw (Jul 17, 2017)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
https://www.carpro-us.com/coatings-s...-30ml-sky-kit/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Gyeon-M...1413/30-ml-S1/

There are other products, as well, based on the same technology. In essence, it adds SiO2 into the equation. For paint, too. A single coat lasts, on average, 1.5-2 years. Less on wheels. With hard driving, a good 5K miles. Obviously, a bit more with a tame pilot at the helm.

There's a lot more involved in prepping paint for a coating, but wheels are pretty easy: thoroughly clean, wipe down with a 50:50 solution of drugstore alcohol and water, and apply the product. Remove any access. There are many instructional videos on Youtube. While quite a few of the vids, as you may imagine, display a degree of undiluted ignorance, they do illustrate the process for our intents and purposes. I'd be happy to comment further if you, or others, have specific questions.

Yea after reading about the ceramic coating I seen vids on this as well. I think I'll coat them for the added PROTECTION measures. After spending $3500 on wheels some added sense of protection eases the mind, as well as blowing off dust
Old Jul 17, 2017, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://akebonobrakes.com/performance

Give these a try, Rockauto.com has these for around $60 for the front (ASP1001) and less for the rear
and they have a GG friction rating so they will provide ample stopping power as well.

Power stop Z23 might be a good option for you as well, about $80 total for the entire car.

Last edited by suby2evo; Jul 17, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 02:33 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdxftw
Yea after reading about the ceramic coating I seen vids on this as well. I think I'll coat them for the added PROTECTION measures. After spending $3500 on wheels some added sense of protection eases the mind, as well as blowing off dust
On new wheels this is a no-brainer. Good luck.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the past I switched from HP+ pads (brake dust city) to EBC red stuff. I was happy with how much less brake dust i was dealing with. On my most recent car, I'll be running the EBC yellow stuff on my next change.

Quick Reply: No dust pads