Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Smaller Brakes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Smaller Brakes

I've been searching around a little bit, but can't seem to get a definitive answer - what is the magic combination of factory calipers and rotors that will work on the CZ4A Evo X platform to effectively create a "small brake" option for guys like me that would like to run a 17" or even a 16" wheel. I manage an auto parts store, so the idea of toying around with various options I can get my hands on is more appealing than spending a few grand on a "drag small brake kit".

I do know 17's will clear the rear brakes, and with slight modification, the 8/9 front calipers and rotors can be used to clear 17's on the front.

For 16's, I have also been reading the 2009+ Ralliart rear calipers bolt up, and the same Ralliart rear rotors work with our drum-in-hat parking brake. So that helps clear 16's in the rear - but what about the front? Front seems to be where I am stuck. I have read that the 2 piston calipers from earlier Eclipses or Galants work, but I wonder if anybody can confirm the years for the caliper and rotor.

I do plan to keep the factory Brembos. I have a few personal goals with the car, and one of those involves smaller brakes, smaller/light wheels and drag slicks.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm running a front and rear kit from Team Illuminata Motorsport. It has 11.8"-ish front rotors with 4 piston calipers and steel brake lines. The calipers are just small enough to let you run 15" wheels if you desire. The rear rotors allow you to keep the stock handbrake shoe as well.

Performance wise they feel similar to stock. I'm sure they would fade on real track use compared to stock. See second photos for front vs front and for front installed with stock Enkies. I know it's not really what you asked for, just thought I would share it as an option.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

No for sure, I appreciate you sharing. Not that it's the way I will be going, but I didn't even know they existed so good to know Even if I could get the OEM part numbers off say the Evo X RS from overseas front calipers that would help.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I should add that the rear brake rotor may have come from another Mitsubishi product since the bolt pattern and brake shoe/drum part fits out of the box. I am sure it is not a custom piece. I can go and see what the part number was for it. It was either Centric or Ctek.

It would still require a custom caliper or bracket setup likely, which is the costly part. I basically have some off the shelf rotors that fit, but then custom brackets and small Wilwood race calipers.

I think retrofitting Evo 8/9 on the front with custom brackets might be the way to go, if 17's are your goal. If you want 16's or 15's you will probably want to go the route I did.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if the rear rotors you have are the Ralliart ones. But yeah, if you could find a part number for me from the front and rear rotors, I can look it up/interchange if needed and know exactly what they fit. That would be a lot of help, if it's not too much trouble