Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

when to replace rotors vs having them resurfaced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:17 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Not taken seriously? I am curious if all Evo owners replace their rotors or have them resurfaced with every pad change. I have owned many cars, many performance cars, with this being my first Mitsubishi. I have never had any other manufacturer say that rotors must be replaced with pads. Nor have I ever experienced any issues. And I assure you, other manufacturers aren't in the business of telling me not to replace my rotors to save me money. I am curious what makes the Evo so special that it requires rotors being swapped each time.
He's saying to replace them IF you can't get them resurfaced. Throwing new, flat pads onto a grooved, shaped-to-old-pads rotor is not a good idea. You will have poor performance until things wear together. Even then, you will have uneven/poor wear/etc and that's IF the pads "fix" themselves. I've seen new pads crumble at the corners while trying to work on an old rotor. It just doesn't make any sense.

If you have to toss new pads on because you just can't do anything else, then you have to do what you have to do. One would just need to be really careful for a while and possibly expect to change pads more frequently.

My guy charges $10 per rotor, so it's really a no-brainer, though it does take a decent chunk out of my day to do the running around
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rallyart13
Sure you could check Audi. Bmw. Land Rover. They’re all recommended to replace the rotors without resurfacing. But if you’re talking about if you must do one or the other then the answer is yes. If you’ve worn out your brake pads and it’s time to replace them then it’s time to also resurface the rotors or replace them if they’re under spec.

i can’t tell you how many Infiniti Q50 , Q60 red sports I’ve done brake jobs on under warranty due to extreme amounts of run out and hot spots in the rotors . These are performance brakes with about 10k miles on them. So yes it happens more often then you’d think
Interesting. I've owned high performance Audis, and Rovers. Neither of them (serviced by the dealers only) have ever told me to replace rotors with pad replacement until the rotors were worn. I've owned M cars, AMGs, and P cars and also had the same experience. They also never suggested I turn the rotors either. I've run through plenty of pads in record pace and still wasn't an issue. Seems like your experience is more towards the cars you work on, Infinitis, and Mitsubishi.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
He's saying to replace them IF you can't get them resurfaced. Throwing new, flat pads onto a grooved, shaped-to-old-pads rotor is not a good idea. You will have poor performance until things wear together. Even then, you will have uneven/poor wear/etc and that's IF the pads "fix" themselves. I've seen new pads crumble at the corners while trying to work on an old rotor. It just doesn't make any sense.

If you have to toss new pads on because you just can't do anything else, then you have to do what you have to do. One would just need to be really careful for a while and possibly expect to change pads more frequently.

My guy charges $10 per rotor, so it's really a no-brainer, though it does take a decent chunk out of my day to do the running around
Thanks. Appreciate the info. It was more a curiosity thing than anything else. My friend handles my cars needs, and when I did pads he resurfaced my rotors. I had just never had a car need rotor work at every pad interval. I am surprised at the level of maintenance the Evo takes.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:48 AM
kaj

Thanks. Appreciate the info. It was more a curiosity thing than anything else. My friend handles my cars needs, and when I did pads he resurfaced my rotors. I had just never had a car need rotor work at every pad interval. I am surprised at the level of maintenance the Evo takes.
No worries! Just chiming in with my opinion. Having a flat surface is for any car, but most aren't driven as hard as performance vehicles (like an Evo) so the downsides may not be as noticeable. To be honest, I don't always clean up the brake rotors on my Civic... but pads are cheap, the rotors look decent and are in spec, so meh.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. I've owned high performance Audis, and Rovers. Neither of them (serviced by the dealers only) have ever told me to replace rotors with pad replacement until the rotors were worn. I've owned M cars, AMGs, and P cars and also had the same experience. They also never suggested I turn the rotors either. I've run through plenty of pads in record pace and still wasn't an issue. Seems like your experience is more towards the cars you work on, Infinitis, and Mitsubishi.
very interesting. All my professional service guides KSD, Mitchell Pro Demand, Alldata pro all indicate this. Nissan GT-R brake jobs are out the roof. Can’t imagine AMG or M would be that different given the performance oriented nature. But good to know from your experience.
Old May 24, 2018, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've typically had the rotors turned or replaced every time I've needed new pads (at least in the front) on my MR and my VIII. I have a shop I trust and they've always done a good job.
Old May 26, 2018, 08:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You measure the thickness with a mic. There's a minimum thickness stamped into the rotor...
Old May 28, 2018, 10:46 PM

I recently had my rotors resurfaced and I noticed that it solved the brake squeak problem that my car had. Not sure if this is a common problem for the EvoX's, or maybe the FE's, but highly recommend turning the rotors if you're experiencing this problem. Changing the pads alone didn't solve it.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:00 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by WongEvo
I recently had my rotors resurfaced and I noticed that it solved the brake squeak problem that my car had. Not sure if this is a common problem for the EvoX's, or maybe the FE's, but highly recommend turning the rotors if you're experiencing this problem. Changing the pads alone didn't solve it.
It removed the old pad material.

When my rotors are starting to lose the chamfer around the outer edge, that's when I swap in new ones. For any car I've measured (so far) that's the indication that they are about to go outside spec.

Old Oct 26, 2020, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by EVOX84
Hello, i wanted to get everyone's opinions on this topic. my MR has 45K on it and the rotors are starting to get a lip and look very glossy. I noticed the brakes don't feel as good as they once did. Also i did put hawk street pads back at like 30K.

Looking to see if i should replace them or having them resurfaced.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
Don't trust a Joe Schmoe at the parts store, he's just gonna crank it down and cut it until its straight without measuring run out, or possibly ignoring specs.