Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo's on an Island

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo's on an Island

Question for all the EVO owners out there that live on an island. ie. Hawaii, and Japan.

My current situation: I've had my Evo for over a year now. I've bought her in California. I'm currently stationed in Hickam AFB Hawaii in the island of Oahu. (5-10 mins. from Honolulu)

My concern is: The new cars being sold on island have rust proofing devices OR had rust proofing sprayed underneath the car and had some sort of paint anit-oxidation seal. Now, since I bought my car in California, it was never sprayed with any form of rust proofing stuff or doesn't have the eltro-gadget device that prevents rust. I don't keep my Evo indoor because I live in the dorms, so no garage. I keep her outside and she endures year round Hawaii weather. I have a car cover and that's it. The car cover is the best of the best, I know because it is custome made and is waterproof and all that good stuff. (I think it's weather sheild, don't remember, but it's one up on Noah)

The Question: Should I shell out money for rust proofing? I wash her weekly and I do take really good care of her. After it rains I was the undercarriage with fresh water. I basically wash her every weekend, and wax every 2nd week of the month. I don't know what to do. Spend some cash and get rust proofing? Send her *** home to California where she'll be garaged in my parents home, and get the start up every week or so, and buy an island beater for use on Oahu?

Any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. *Sha-ka*

Last edited by MonstarEVO; Oct 18, 2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think its needed, how long do you plan on staying on this island? how long do you plan on keeping your car? and sending it back to the mainland to sit in your parents home?- come on , who would do that!
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

What's up MonstarEvo, I live on the island too. I got my Evo from the mainland so it already had the rustproofing on it. I wished it didn't because it looks like crap!!! My advice is "Don't even bother".

The rustproofing that they spray on the undercarriage is really meant for winter weather, where they spray salt on the roads, and doesn't do sh*t for the salt air in Hawaii.

Just keep up with what your doing and you'll be fine. Also make sure that your car cover breathes so that moisture doesn't pool-up on the cars surface.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

I think all Evos that come out of the Mits factory in Jap has rustproofing by default.. Shouldn't worry too much about this..
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
i dont think its needed, how long do you plan on staying on this island? how long do you plan on keeping your car? and sending it back to the mainland to sit in your parents home?- come on , who would do that!

I'm definitely keeping my car for awhile. I've already sunk money in her, so no reason for me to ship her home. I think you guys have talked me out of my silly concern. Diyath is right and that it's a modern car coming from Japan. Mitsu already had some rust proofing on the car. I will definitely continue to take care of her here. As for the money I was going to use for rust proofing, I'll use it for mods now! Thanks for the posts everyone.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MonstarEVO
I'm definitely keeping my car for awhile. I've already sunk money in her, so no reason for me to ship her home. I think you guys have talked me out of my silly concern. Diyath is right and that it's a modern car coming from Japan. Mitsu already had some rust proofing on the car. I will definitely continue to take care of her here. As for the money I was going to use for rust proofing, I'll use it for mods now! Thanks for the posts everyone.
First: I sincerely apology for hijacking your thread.

How do you like having the evo on oahu? I'm going back to school next fall and I'm seriously considering UH manoa.

d
Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

i live right off of the oregon coast, so i see the same type of stuff. here is the deal, i wouldnt waste your time. as long as you wash it, and keep it clean it will be fine. one thing you have to be careful of here is that if you do get a ding, that screws up your paint, you have to get something over it, otherwise it will rust really quickly and start to spread. good luck, but i wouldnt sweat it.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
First: I sincerely apology for hijacking your thread.

How do you like having the evo on oahu? I'm going back to school next fall and I'm seriously considering UH manoa.

d
what are you going to school for ?
are you plan on having a vehicle with you?

i like to have my evo here cause i heard their is only like 10 evos on the whole island.
i have personally seen only 4 of them on the road.
so having an evo is unique