Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I don't know what to do. Evo 9 or STi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what to do. Evo 9 or STi

After reviewing the forums rules and looking at the sub forums, I figured this was the correct forum to post my question in. Although not as frequently browsed as other forums, I fear I may not get enough opinions.

I have tried search and could not find any threads on Evolution and WRX STi comparisons, as far as pros and cons go. So if they are out there, and I missed them, please refrain from lynching me! Kindly post a link for me if you would, and I will be forever grateful and will shut up and do my reading.

I'm starting a new job which is going to be paying out quite nicely, and it is finally an opportunity for me to get either the Evolution XI or the Impreza WRX STi. I used to be a big Mitsubishi fan but found myself steering more towards Subaru, mainly because I thought the STi was a little more aggressive in power and appearance. Lately I saw pictures of the Evo XI and like the changes made in it. I'm not so certain about the XI's pricetag yet, but I hope it isn't as extraneous as the Evo MR. Personally I thought a price jump from $28,900 to $34,900 for an extra gear, 7 HP, 13 lbs TQ, Bilstein shocks, one piece BBS forged wheels, ACD, some nifty badging and a "vortex generator" was a little excessive. Does the vortex generator even do anything? -__-; -- I guess the ACD and extra gear are a nice addition, but still not worth that much.

Meh, so moving on. Right now from what I have read about the XI, the MIVEC is supposed to putit at 300 HP with MIVEC, while the STi is at 300HP already. I like both cars appearance wise, although I must say the interior on the STi is a little nicer. I know what both cars are mostly capable of, but not the more intricate pros and cons of each. Like I said, if this was listed already, I would love to be linked to where I can look at more information to help me in deciding which way to go.

Also, I heard about Mitsubishi going bogus on warranties and things like that. What's the deal with that, from your opinions? Again, thank you for any input you can give me.

Last edited by stormhalter; Apr 8, 2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 06:36 PM

If you cant find any threads with an Evo/STi comparison then u obv didnt even search...there are usually like 2 a week on here. But anyway...I would go with the Evo IX. Its not going to have 300hp but it will have 289hp. Also the interior will be nicer (suede-like with leather lining standard for the seats). Plus the MIVEC...go for the IX.

Last edited by sexynuts(.)(.); Apr 8, 2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

If you get the STi, then you will eventually get sick of it and trade it in for a Evo of some kind which will result in loss of $$... So I would reccomend you skip that step and just get the evo.. Hopefully some former STi owners could share there experiances
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

These might help even if they aren't for the XI, its still about subies and evos:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=128501

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...6947&highlight

my .02 is that the Evo performs, looks, and feels better than the Sti. Go test drive both and see for yourself. Plus, who wants to look around a big scoop? Just kidding, have a good night and think about it tomorrow.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:46 AM

Wow so we already got an evo XI...awesome. And I was only expecting an evo IX soon.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

+1 the evo xi pwnz joo IX=9
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Get an 8 near when the 9s are gonna be coming out for cheaper, put the money you save into it, and stomp any STi and 9 that people buy
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:44 PM

civic
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Get an 8 near when the 9s are gonna be coming out for cheaper, put the money you save into it, and stomp any STi and 9 that people buy
Old Apr 9, 2005, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Do the 9's have a pricetag yet? Or any rumors? All the trims are going to have MIVEC, right?

If you get the STi, then you will eventually get sick of it and trade it in for a Evo of some kind which will result in loss of $$... So I would reccomend you skip that step and just get the evo.. Hopefully some former STi owners could share there experiances
Any particular reason?

Thanks for the links PGD.. I'll read 'em.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

You sir, have quite the automotive choice on your hands. Both cars are great, and it really comes down to driver ability as to who is "faster". After a long, rather tiring decision I bought an Evo and I'll tell you why.

On paper, it looks like the STi should outrun the Evo in almost every case, but that is not the case (This being the case for the current generation Evo and STi. Also, I should stop using the word case ). That obviously means the Evo is doing something right if it can run even with and sometimes outrun an STi.

However, what really did it for me was the steering. Don't get me wrong, the STi handles as good as or close to the Evo, but it feels the same as every car I've driven. The Evo just feels great, it makes the other cars I drive on occasion feel just plain numb. To further my point, a friend had always asked me why I got the Evo instead of the STi and I never let him drive the car until the other day. When he did get his turn to drive finally, he was amazed at how the steering felt. Then, he understood.

I guess what you should do is test drive both cars. The next gen versions of each car will probaly not change radically (The Evo IX and the next STi) so they should feel the same as their updated counter-parts. That is the only way you will really find out what is right for you.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

how many threads have we seen like this in the past few weeks???? search my friend, search.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you everyone for being so patient and not bludgeoning me with huge objects for my repeated questions. I followed some of the links that were posted a few replies up, and gobbled up all the information I could. I also performed some more detailed searches through the forums and on google and also got some more opinions and thoughts.

Now I'm sure many may rejoice at the sound of this,b ut after careful consideration, and reading about both cars all day (13 hour work shift, spent online) I am going with the Evo IX. I love the interior changes they made. They addressed the cheesy silver plastic I hated with a passion. Although mock carbon fiber, it looks better. I love the new steering wheel and the upgraded fabric in the cabin. The seats are GORGEOUS. I'm not too happy with the wheels, but hey.. those were getting changed any way!

I have had an opportunity to test drive both cars. I drove the Evo VIII about 4 times actually, and the STi only once. I must say I felt more in contact with the road in the Evo VIII than I did the STi. It's pull and the whine of the turbo spool is more evident than it is in the STi, a complaint I've seen. Not only that but I really dont mind the stiffer ride of the Evo. I'm not looking for comfort. I'm looking for power and fun.

One question though, and this bugs me. The MIVEC is claimed to bring the 4G63 to 300BHP. This is what one website claimed. It was called Extreme Auto or something. Sport Compact Car, said the Evo IX was going to be improved up to 289BHP. They worded it like the MIVEC was responsible for the HP increase.

So does anyone actually know what the MIVEC brings the engine to? I saw another Italian magazine article that also claimed 300BHP on the Evo IX. If someone would clear that up, it'd be great.

Now I'm deciding if the base Evo IX is what I want, or if I should go the extra mile for the MR. Does anyone know when it's debut release is?

Thank you all for your opinions and help!