Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Insuring the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trickyazn
i dont want to insure it right away because i can save alot ($500/month) if i dont, but the main reason is that there are a few new evo's left and i want to secure one and leave it until i feel the need to drive it.
What did you do? Drove over the whole village?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

You need proof of insurance coverage to drive any new car off the lot. Now you insurer may have a grace period in between the day you pick up the car and when they send you your new policy and bill. But when you get your bill, they will have you pay insurance coverage for every single day since you picked up the car, retroactively in most cases.

If you really do plan on buying the car and then putting it in storage or something, then you can drop insurance coverage once you get it home and in storage. If you bought the car with cash (no loan), you can drop all coverage while it's in storage. (This is a very bad idea IMHO, because if the car gets stolen or burns to the ground, you are SOL. You should maintain at least the Comprehensive part of your policy while it's in storage). If you have a loan on the car, the lender will require you to maintain full insurance coverage on the car in most cases.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

As I work in a dealership you have 7 days to find your insurance as your previous insurance covers you for those 7 days. Since you did finance the car, you must get insurance on the vehicle as your lender knows if you have insurance on the vehicle or not. They are at risk insuring you, so if you dont get insurance, they will for you and let me tell you, its probably $1000 a month, so hurry up.

P.S

Time to get insurance might differ in other states. Use to be 3 days.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

In the tri-state area I believe the dealer needs proof of insurance before that car can be legally given to you.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:05 PM
Err

Most stealerships are okay with just asking you verbally do you have insurance and what is there name and policy number. But there are some like the BMW dealership I went to a few weeks back that want to call and verify that the policy was still active and level of coverage.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3volut1on
+1, Im pretty sure they wont let you take the car of the lot without proof of insurance. I know that for sure here in CT. And $500 a month for car insurance? Maybe get a Prius?
Here in New Hampshire you must have it to drive it off the lot. I cant imagine that any place would let take a car that you are financing off of the lot without proof of insurance. You may not to have that specific car insured but you need insurance. Like when I took my Mustang GT in to trade it for my Evo I had show that I was insured on the stang and they let me take the Evo that day. I then had to call myself insurance provider and have it switched over withing a few days. I would like to save some extra money too, but I am not going to not insure my car to do so. That is just dumb. Think of how much more it might cost if something happens and you are not insured.

Last edited by 8urv8; Feb 20, 2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

USAA is my bank, lienholder and insurance provider...when I bought my IX they gave me 30 days of basically free insurance

I think it all depends on your provider and lienholder
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by trickyazn
i dont want to insure it right away because i can save alot ($500/month) if i dont, but the main reason is that there are a few new evo's left and i want to secure one and leave it until i feel the need to drive it.
dear christ 500 a month!? alaska is supposed to be one of the most expensive states to insure in.. and i pay less than half of what you do. what the frick