Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo or TT MKIV Supra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How about both?

Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini 458 GT-R Type-R V-tec. Get that one.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supra

./End
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

why would u ask this on an evo forum? lol i mean money isnt a problem then obviously supra... but fast a** evo for the price of a stock supra? id go evo ftw!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 03:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by white_evo27
i mean money isnt a problem then obviously supra...
The thing handles like a pig. I guess it depends on one's priories.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

The Supra is a much rarer car so that's always a plus. The car is a beast and makes tons of power with simple bolt ons as well. Just don't expect the Supra to be feel like a new car or anything like that. Since I have both, I can tell you that the Supra has many more rattles but it is a 15 year old car. I think the Evo is much more comfortable and easier to get in and out of but I am 6'3" lol. As well as you may have small problems similar to mine due to its age. One of the coolant lines from the turbo was rotted and needed to be replaced and now the water pump is leaking. This is all from a 95 Supra TT with basic bolts on and 73K miles.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure if anyone said this yet but its really up to what YOU want to do if you want a car that can drive in any weather and handle very well go with the evo. If you want a car that can go in a straight line and is a dyno queen for high numbers go with the supra. Not knockin' supras whatsoever because id pick one up any day of the week but its true.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, I definitely wouldn't daily drive a Supra if you lived in a rainy or snowy area but I don't even daily drive my Evo either lol. Just go with which ever one you prefer and which ever one suits you best.

Performance wise, my Evo is pushing 330 WHP and 300 TQ @ 25PSI where as the Supra is at 410 WHP @ 20 PSI but I'm not sure what the torque rating is but both cars are equally fast on the 1/4 mile. The Evo has a bit more turbo lag and then the boost just hits you, where as the Supra feels like it has "stages". The 1st turbo spools to around 10PSI and then all of a sudden the secondary one kicks in and give you another kick back into your seat.

Last edited by 19DB794; Jun 2, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 03:15 PM

Well I would pick a supra. My evo8 is at 620awhp on 93 and Meth with a obviously a built engine. Supra I've seen personally making 750rwhp with a headgasket n headstud cams and bigger single turbo and aem.
Not driven everyday though. Not as exspensive as people may think until say u want to push past 750. He has no traction till top of 3rd. Supra r beast but price of entry r crazy.
Even with all his power he's at a disadvatage when he doesn't use his slicks even semi slick for the street r worthless.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

The Supra came with drag radials but for street use, a regular summer tire is fine but I'm sure I wont get any traction at the track with a street tire. The Supra was picked up for 23g's with all the mods and only 73k miles.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have owned both.... Sold the Evo for the supra. I still have the supra, but I am considering selling the supra and going back to an Evo.

Both cars are a BLAST. Both are very very very different. I LOVE the supra for summer sunny days but otherwise it is usless. The Evo is more of an all around car. I strongly recommend the Evo to be a DD over a supra because of its all weather capibilities. The supra is going to be alot stronger with mods. They make mid 400s on the stock twins with simple mods. THe gearing on the 6 speed is much better for highway driving over the Evo.

If I still lived in Tampa Fl I'd DD the supra and keep it but I live in the Northeast now where the weather is 80 one day and then snowing the next and it goes without saying that the Evo wins that battle.

For what it is worth traction issues are becoming less and less with the supra. As tires become more advanced traction becomes less of an issue. The problem is when you run a tire that is made to get you traction you most likly need to avoid rain and snow completely. I have 275 Nitto 555rIIs on the rear of my car which is BPU and it no longer has an issue with traction (keep in mind this is only like 350-400WHP) When I was on 295 street tires I had no traction in first or second. The other thing is handling most likely is not as good as you get stickier tires. THe supra doesnt have horrible handleing but it seems pretty bad after driving an Evo esspecially with the targa off (which is a whole other issue)

Either way both cars are great. Both are very fun and both can be reliable if taken care of. You can blow up a 2J engine just as easy as a 4G if it is in the wrong hands. The 2J will handle more power on the stock internals and the 6 speed getrag tranny is almost impossible to break but a bad tuner can kill a car fast
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't really read anyone else's comments but, I have an Evo and my brother has a TT Supra. I honestly have NEVER seen the big deal with those cars. Not that they are bad cars, but I have never been wowed.

The price will kill you though. I helped pay for my brother to get his cylinder head. So: Ferrea everything, GSC S1 cams, new water pump, oil pump, all new gaskets and some other miscellaneous things.....$6K!!!! I mean he didn't get any cheap Ferrea stuff (I think he got the Competition Plus valves, new seals, valve locks, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, etc) or anything, but it was right around $2k (plus an additional 900 and something dollars for cams) just for parts for the head.

The looks are cool (I prefer 4 doors) and people LOVE the damn car when they see it. EVERYONE wants to race "the supra". I've gotten used to hearing it whenever I'm driving his car. When we are parked near each other my car might as well be invisible as people gravitate to the Supra and automatically think it's the fastest thing around (although my Evo is definitely faster than his Supra).

You sit ridiculously low and back in the car. Maybe I don't like the seating position because I'm used to sitting high up, but it's something to get used to.

The *** end slightly kicked out giving it a slight bit of gas on some what wet roads today. That's with 275 Nitto 555's on the back. Also with aftermarket coilovers.

Space is a premium in the Supra (lots of room in the front seats though) so I hope you don't need to put anything in the trunk and definitely not in the back seats.

I have yet to see a Supra without a check engine light on. I've met a couple guys and they aren't exactly as reliable as some will make them out to be. Some have great luck, but for the most part they break like any car. Except like most cars the parts are ridiculous. Another example- my brother's Supra needs a new driver's side window surround. He needs the same thing for his 94 Eclipse (his Supra is a 94 as well). Difference- Supra= $200 and Eclipse= $20 brand new.

There are Pro's that I've noticed:

Sound insulation- Even with a catless and resonator it's MUCH quieter in his car than mine

Looks- it's a 17 year old car that still looks and feels modern.

Ride- rough aftermarket coilovers on the Supra is still smoother than springs and Bilsteins on mine

Awesome engine- almost 130k miles and his engine still reads like 170 across the board on compression. It runs and sounds awesome. Everyone knows the big power these motors can make so no need to get into that.

Quality- the materials in the Supra are WAY better than the Evo. Has leather and soft plastics everywhere. The factory carpet is great quality. Denso everything in the engine bay. It is funny how some NA Supras have leather rear seats and cloth front seats....
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:33 PM

Just get both of them and take turns driving them then you don't have to decided.

Originally Posted by awdturbopsi
I had my mind set on getting an evo but after seeing how munch potential the supra has i am starting to second guess myself. Can anyone on here Please give your opinions and feedback as to the pros and cons of both cars as well as any experiences good or bad they have had with Turbo Supras.

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
I didn't really read anyone else's comments but, I have an Evo and my brother has a TT Supra. I honestly have NEVER seen the big deal with those cars. Not that they are bad cars, but I have never been wowed.

The price will kill you though. I helped pay for my brother to get his cylinder head. So: Ferrea everything, GSC S1 cams, new water pump, oil pump, all new gaskets and some other miscellaneous things.....$6K!!!! I mean he didn't get any cheap Ferrea stuff (I think he got the Competition Plus valves, new seals, valve locks, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, etc) or anything, but it was right around $2k (plus an additional 900 and something dollars for cams) just for parts for the head.

The looks are cool (I prefer 4 doors) and people LOVE the damn car when they see it. EVERYONE wants to race "the supra". I've gotten used to hearing it whenever I'm driving his car. When we are parked near each other my car might as well be invisible as people gravitate to the Supra and automatically think it's the fastest thing around (although my Evo is definitely faster than his Supra).

You sit ridiculously low and back in the car. Maybe I don't like the seating position because I'm used to sitting high up, but it's something to get used to.

The *** end slightly kicked out giving it a slight bit of gas on some what wet roads today. That's with 275 Nitto 555's on the back. Also with aftermarket coilovers.

Space is a premium in the Supra (lots of room in the front seats though) so I hope you don't need to put anything in the trunk and definitely not in the back seats.

I have yet to see a Supra without a check engine light on. I've met a couple guys and they aren't exactly as reliable as some will make them out to be. Some have great luck, but for the most part they break like any car. Except like most cars the parts are ridiculous. Another example- my brother's Supra needs a new driver's side window surround. He needs the same thing for his 94 Eclipse (his Supra is a 94 as well). Difference- Supra= $200 and Eclipse= $20 brand new.

There are Pro's that I've noticed:

Sound insulation- Even with a catless and resonator it's MUCH quieter in his car than mine

Looks- it's a 17 year old car that still looks and feels modern.

Ride- rough aftermarket coilovers on the Supra is still smoother than springs and Bilsteins on mine

Awesome engine- almost 130k miles and his engine still reads like 170 across the board on compression. It runs and sounds awesome. Everyone knows the big power these motors can make so no need to get into that.

Quality- the materials in the Supra are WAY better than the Evo. Has leather and soft plastics everywhere. The factory carpet is great quality. Denso everything in the engine bay. It is funny how some NA Supras have leather rear seats and cloth front seats....
YOu are pretty right on. My supra does not have a check engine light however nor has it had one major issue. The highest % of issues the supras have are to do with bad electronics and bad solder joints. Other than the solder joints the cars tend to have alot of rattles from the hatch and targa (mine doesnt but most do) There is No room what so ever in the supras rear seat and the trunk is useless if the roof is off. When the roof is off the car becomes very loud and windy inside and the car feels very sloppy. Its handle gets far worse. You hit minor bumps and it feels like you have blown out shocks unless you do some serious stiffening to the car you will always have this(or buy a hardtop)

The price of the car is high but the value will stay true. YOu go into buying a supra knowing if you sell it you are not going to lose to much. The car is comfortable once you are in, getting in and out is tough even stock ride height because the seats are sunken in pretty low. Keep in mind the cars age so there will be things that need repair. When I bought mine the hatch shocks were dead, the rear o2 sensor was dead, the dash panels needed to be resurfaced, the headlights were foggy , ect ect. All of which cost a small fortune to fix. just to give you an idea the hatch shocks were $200 each, so $200x 2. THe rear o2 was also in that range and I bought new 95 Euro glass headlights (because they dont fog) and they were $500. The other choice was $800 for 97-98 headlights which look nice but eventually will yellow up and the chrome rings bubble and flake.

THey are not cheap cars to own. They are very fun but only in dry sunny days. THey get attention anywhere. Sometime the way people act on the road when they see the supra is out of controll. I mean it is a 17 year old toyota, not a $300k ferrari. If you leave the car in a parking lot for more than 5 minutes you are garanteed to come out to a flock of dudes 13-25 years old around the car and most of the time you cant leave because they make it socail hour and try and interview you, lol.

Oh and if you get a supra there are only about 12,000 or something like that in the U.S. but somehow when people talk to you they all have or have a best friend who has a 1000HP supra that is better. Seems like everyone who stalks me always says "oh my boy has one". I sometimes reply and just say no he doesnt, or he is not someone you really know. You actually sometimes have to act like the stereotypical Supra owner in order to just pull out of a parking lot.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

The wife and I own both, Depends on your goals! I personally like my evo better as a grocery getter and kid hauler! but that "WOW" factor is in the supra!

Quick Reply: Evo or TT MKIV Supra