Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo or TT MKIV Supra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big thanks to everyone for the reply's and feedback!!
I only have a budget of $35k for car(s), so i dont think i can get both Supra and Evo for $35k but if any one can find me a nice tt supra i will check it out because im itching to get into a new ride.
( I dont have any trouble trying to find evos but cant seem to find tt supras for a lower price, if anyone can find a tt supra for a resonablr price please share it with me)

Thanks Very Much
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

I've had my Supra for just over a year.

Such a different car than an Evo.

The Supra handles pretty darn well, but doesn't have that tactile sharp edgy feel like an Evo.

Obviously the prices for Supra parts will be higher considering the relatively small market the Supra TT platform is compared to the much larger Evo market.

My previous Evo was my weekend car, so for me, foul weather capability or daily driver capability was not a big factor when making the switch to a Supra.

If you only have one car, keep the Evo; much less attention, less maintenance, and cheaper in the long run.

That being said driving the Supra on nice weekends is a pretty awesome experience.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awdturbopsi
Big thanks to everyone for the reply's and feedback!!
I only have a budget of $35k for car(s), so i dont think i can get both Supra and Evo for $35k but if any one can find me a nice tt supra i will check it out because im itching to get into a new ride.
( I dont have any trouble trying to find evos but cant seem to find tt supras for a lower price, if anyone can find a tt supra for a resonablr price please share it with me)

Thanks Very Much
I am considering Selling my 6speed TT. My car is BPU with 91,XXX miles. Asking $24k. I live in the northeast (Ma). PM me is you are interested in details.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 6-speed
I've had my Supra for just over a year.

Such a different car than an Evo.

The Supra handles pretty darn well, but doesn't have that tactile sharp edgy feel like an Evo.

Obviously the prices for Supra parts will be higher considering the relatively small market the Supra TT platform is compared to the much larger Evo market.

My previous Evo was my weekend car, so for me, foul weather capability or daily driver capability was not a big factor when making the switch to a Supra.

If you only have one car, keep the Evo; much less attention, less maintenance, and cheaper in the long run.

That being said driving the Supra on nice weekends is a pretty awesome experience.
Same here. I never drove my old Evo. I was only putting 3-4k on it a year when I sold it so the Supra was not a tough change for me. I do not need a DD car since I have a company vehicle and the uses the DD (which is a mountaineer) for her work. At time when it is rainy or snowing I do wish I could go out while she is at work though...

The supra is great fun.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by EMonz57
I am considering Selling my 6speed TT. My car is BPU with 91,XXX miles. Asking $24k. I live in the northeast (Ma). PM me is you are interested in details.
Pm'ed
Old Jun 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Like Emonz said they definitely hold their value!! So they may be pricey, but selling them isn't too hard. Well unless you have a fully built one and you're asking like $50k then you're looking for people with that kind of cash lying around which is harder.

The body does get wiggly with the targa off, but it's worth it on a nice day!!

$24k is a good price. I would look into that if you're really interested in a Supra. My brother got the deal of a lifetime on his Supra. He was willing to pay cash and the owner was leaving the country so had to sell quick and had no time to BS around. We'll just put it this way he paid less than half of $24k for his 94 TT with 115k miles. Problems were:

Auto- which sucks and expensive to swap over, but more than likely the engine was less beat on than a 6spd.

Boost leak- Car wouldn't hold boost right. Turned out the SMIC was messed up. So a FMIC and some pipes fixed that right up.

Smoked on start up- Valve stem seal was bad. One of the valves ended up sticking so he had the whole cylinder head rebuilt. And that's about it.

Other miscellaneous stuff was messed up considering it's age (the trunk shocks were blown. And Emonz isn't playing when he says they are like $200 a piece). I was brand new to the Supra world when my bro got his so it's been a learning experience. They are awesome cars, but you have to make sure they "fit" you if you know what I mean. Like I like the car, it's just not for me. Love my backseats and my large trunk!!

Also just like the Evo world there are plenty of douches. A guy around here has a purple one that makes like 600whp. Really cool guy. The couple of others that we've seen drive by don't even give so much as a nod. The same goes for Evo guys around here. I might as well get the middle finger from 90% that I pass by because they sure as hell don't wave back.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Like Emonz said they definitely hold their value!! So they may be pricey, but selling them isn't too hard. Well unless you have a fully built one and you're asking like $50k then you're looking for people with that kind of cash lying around which is harder.

$24k is a good price. I would look into that if you're really interested in a Supra. My brother got the deal of a lifetime on his Supra. He was willing to pay cash and the owner was leaving the country so had to sell quick and had no time to BS around. We'll just put it this way he paid less than half of $24k for his 94 TT with 115k miles. Problems were:

Auto- which sucks and expensive to swap over, but more than likely the engine was less beat on than a 6spd.

Boost leak- Car wouldn't hold boost right. Turned out the SMIC was messed up. So a FMIC and some pipes fixed that right up.

Smoked on start up- Valve stem seal was bad. One of the valves ended up sticking so he had the whole cylinder head rebuilt. And that's about it.

Other miscellaneous stuff was messed up considering it's age (the trunk shocks were blown. And Emonz isn't playing when he says they are like $200 a piece). I was brand new to the Supra world when my bro got his so it's been a learning experience. They are awesome cars, but you have to make sure they "fit" you if you know what I mean. Like I like the car, it's just not for me. Love my backseats and my large trunk!!

Also just like the Evo world there are plenty of douches. A guy around here has a purple one that makes like 600whp. Really cool guy. The couple of others that we've seen drive by don't even give so much as a nod. The same goes for Evo guys around here. I might as well get the middle finger from 90% that I pass by because they sure as hell don't wave back.
Now a days Autos can be had pretty easily in the mid to high Teens. A few sold with in this year for $12k but the milage was out the charts or they have small issues. I mint auto with samewhat low milage will still run around $20k-$25k. Just the same with the 6 speeds. The 6 speeds sell for quite a bit more. One with some minor issues usually are in the low 20s range. Mint 6 speeds are in the $25-$35k range most of the time of course year and color play a huge roll in the value.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 07:46 PM

Wow, only $12k ish thats a steal but auto does pretty much turn me off of a supra even if its $12k.
Now, if only i can find a tt 5 0r 6spd supra for $12k lol jk
Old Jun 4, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

I would stay away from any 5 speed supra. Unless you want an NA supra that was swapped. Which is not something I would recommend
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
Also, remember that any idiot can go fast in a straight line.
^ HAHA +1
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:22 PM

I would stay away from any 5 speed supra. Unless you want an NA supra that was swapped. Which is not something I would recommend
True, lol that goes to show i dont know what a stock tt supras gearbox should be. I guess i need to ask more questions and research a bit more.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:23 PM

I am also considering a State Legal r23 r33 or r34 gtr skyline but thats a whole other picture. lol
Old Jun 5, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

True, lol that goes to show i dont know what a stock tt supras gearbox should be. I guess i need to ask more questions and research a bit more.
Just ask.

www.MKIV.com has just about any info about the car that you can possibly want or need lol.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, only $12k ish thats a steal but auto does pretty much turn me off of a supra even if its $12k.
Now, if only i can find a tt 5 0r 6spd supra for $12k lol jk
Oh it was definitely less than $12k!! He didn't want an auto but the deal was too good to pass up.

And from what I know the R154 5spd is pretty stout. Not something you would EVER trade the 6spd for, but not as junky as the auto or 5spd we get in the na Supra.

Now a days Autos can be had pretty easily in the mid to high Teens. A few sold with in this year for $12k but the milage was out the charts or they have small issues. I mint auto with samewhat low milage will still run around $20k-$25k. Just the same with the 6 speeds. The 6 speeds sell for quite a bit more. One with some minor issues usually are in the low 20s range. Mint 6 speeds are in the $25-$35k range most of the time of course year and color play a huge roll in the value.

Well he's owned this Supra for over 2 years, so he got it at a time where the resell price wasn't as low as it is now. Supras hold their value for sure, but all cars in general aren't worth as much because of the economy. It seemed that early-mid 2009 is when the prices plummeted. He managed to sell his 9 MR for $30k in March of 2009 before the prices started to drastically drop! It was a perfect example of a used car (bone stock with 8k miles in perfect condition), but it was a 3 year old used car nonetheless. Considering the Evo X's were already out and a brand new one of those would sell for a couple thousand more I think he got lucky!!

And yeah the color really does matter in Supras I've noticed. You DEFINITELY pay more for a coupe than a targa. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) the Black, White (color my bro has) and Red are the most common. And the Jade Mica(or whatever it's called) and the Quicksilver are the ones you never see? My favorite color is the Anthracite personally!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Oh it was definitely less than $12k!! He didn't want an auto but the deal was too good to pass up.

And from what I know the R154 5spd is pretty stout. Not something you would EVER trade the 6spd for, but not as junky as the auto or 5spd we get in the na Supra.

Well he's owned this Supra for over 2 years, so he got it at a time where the resell price wasn't as low as it is now. Supras hold their value for sure, but all cars in general aren't worth as much because of the economy. It seemed that early-mid 2009 is when the prices plummeted. He managed to sell his 9 MR for $30k in March of 2009 before the prices started to drastically drop! It was a perfect example of a used car (bone stock with 8k miles in perfect condition), but it was a 3 year old used car nonetheless. Considering the Evo X's were already out and a brand new one of those would sell for a couple thousand more I think he got lucky!!

And yeah the color really does matter in Supras I've noticed. You DEFINITELY pay more for a coupe than a targa. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) the Black, White (color my bro has) and Red are the most common. And the Jade Mica(or whatever it's called) and the Quicksilver are the ones you never see? My favorite color is the Anthracite personally!
You are right on. The R154 is a pretty decent tranny however on an MKIV I would prob not buy a car that had a R154. It is a dead giveaway the car was 'put' together. Not that it is a bad thing but I myself would not want that.

Supra have certainly come down in recent years. In 2008 a TT 6speed with under 100k would cost $30k. Now they are in the $25k range. Black and White supras are common but still very desirable. Red is the least desirable. Royal Saphire pearl, quicksilver and IJM are the most expensive and highest demand. THey are very rare. Anthracite is also my fav color. Not sure if you have ever seen a nice one up close but it is INSANE. Pictures really do that color no justice at all. It is one of the nicest color cars I have ever seen.

Quick Reply: Evo or TT MKIV Supra