Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hello, Evo V owner checking in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Evo V owner checking in

Hey
I just bought an Evo 5 so i've been lurking for a while trying to learn as much as i can about this car and source a few items in the classifieds

I purchased this car with a "gear box issue" but in my opinion its a clutch issue. clutch doesn't seem to disengage and car will not move in any gear, unfortunately i have been to busy to get the car in the air and pull it apart to inspect but plan to get it in the shop this coming week to start it. I haven't driven it yet!

specs and mods that i can see:
1998 Evo 5 GSR with 180,000km
adjustable coilovers
3" exhaust with dual blast pipes (no muffler)
phenolic intake spacer
fuel pressure gauge
NRG quick release wheel

Over all a very clean car, just needs a serious detail and paint correction (it had been sitting for several months under a tree).
It has a stumble in the idle and likes to stall out after revving it so ill need to address that immediately after getting the clutch replaced

I'll update this thread as i progress into the tear down

Name:  UkbiL5w.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  58.7 KB

The girlfriend very excited when we brought it home
Hello, Evo V owner checking in-0hfsqcm.jpg

Hello, Evo V owner checking in-vawutm3.jpg
Old Oct 30, 2017, 06:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Awesome Welcome aboard !

Great looking V

The guys on the forum are going to love your EvOV. Not too many around in the North American territory

Great to have you on the EvOM boards & hope to see you post up often

Joe
Old Oct 31, 2017, 07:17 PM

wow. Nice car. those are rare over on this side of the world.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
agree.. welcome and def a rare car we just do not see here in the US.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 07:53 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, fairly rare car in Canada as well, although there are a few of them around now!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Quirky
Old Nov 1, 2017, 04:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gorgeous!!!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Nice car! I have a CP9A as well, so I will give you a few tips.

1. Plan a trip down to English Racing in Camas WA for a tune and complete fluid change. Also have them check your belts to see if the 60/90k service was done. They are the best evo shop in the area hands down.

2. While there have them check your rear upper control arms, they were prone to cracking on the CP9A. If they need to be replaced, you can use 8/9 rear upper arms (they are identical) and used arms can be found on ebay http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=503492

3. Also have them check your bushings. Your OEM ones are old and some may need replacing.

4. You should consider having them remove the AYC system and swapping to a restacked Evo 8/9 mechanical rear diff. The 5/6 AYC pump requires periodic maintenance it can lead to some real headaches. A lot of 5/6 owners prefer the mechanical rear diff that came on the RS model, but because of its cost, have found that swapping to a USDM 8/9 rear diff is a cheaper alternative. People in the UK pay big bucks for this conversion, but the parts are cheaper/more available here in the US. English Racing should be able to source everything you would need (or look to ebay) http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?p=5782956

P.S. English Racing could also sort out the clutch/idle issues, if you wanted to tow it down to them.

Last edited by nemsin; Nov 1, 2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 09:23 AM

Good info/advice thanks

I have my own shop so i plan to be doing all the work here myself, with exception of a tune possibly. although this car has been in canada long enough that it may have one in it already.. unfortunately i dont have any history so cant confirm. with the current mileage i would have to assume the timing belt has been replaced within the last 80k km so i think it will be ok for a little while anyways. i do plan to replace asap for piece of mind but visual inspection shows the belt looking ok

I hear horror stories of the AYC system but i'd like to keep the car as close to factory as possible so i will be taking on the challenge of making the system work as best as i can

A local company here has just opened its doors and installed an AWD dyno so the plan is to take the car to them as soon as i have the clutch sorted out so we can work on some baseline tunes and see how its running

Nemsin, do you have a thread with your cp9 anywhere? i would like to see it!