Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo X = Last Evo in North America?

Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it werent for the evo i wouldnt even owing a mitsu
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:00 PM

yeah, mitsubishi should pull out of one of its largest sell markets! sounds like a brilliant business plan! it will never happen!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:51 PM

THEY WILL MAKE A EVO IX!!! I went into a dealership here in arizona and they are already showcasing it in magizines! Its going to look similar to the evo x but have 350hp stock! So its going to be good but i dont think there will be one in 2012... no biggie! The XI is going to be the best of the evo so far!
Originally Posted by JimGVT
They have usually made a new model every five years - so 2013 is the timeframe for the XI from everything I have seen.

Last edited by RunningRings; Sep 13, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by wolverinepwns
yeah, mitsubishi should pull out of one of its largest sell markets! sounds like a brilliant business plan! it will never happen!
Even though it's one of the largest selling markets, I think they only sold around low 4,000 vehicles in the month of August didn't they? While Hyundai sold around 53,000 around in the month of August? That's more than what sold in 2009.

Not bashing Mitsubishi, but they need to step up with some better cars other than the Evolution, bring back the AWD Eclipse's.

Last edited by phraust; Sep 14, 2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phraust
Even though it's one of the largest selling markets, I think they only sold around low 4,000 vehicles in the month of August didn't they? While Hyundai sold around 53,000 around in the month of August? That's more than what sold in 2009.

Not bashing Mitsubishi, but they need to step up with some better cars other than the Evolution, bring back the AWD Eclipse's.
Yup. It may generally be the largest automotive market, but it's probably not Mitsubishi's largest market. I'd be surprised if they break even with the pitiful sales they exhibit. If anything, I think they'd stick around in Puerto Rico, where every other car seemed to be a Lancer. If those are included in the NA sales, then it would be incredible how poorly they do in the states.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Sep 14, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi is large corporation, they have divisions that make TVs, appliances, etc. They are HUGE. They probably do lose a little money selling cars in NA, they are probably waiting for people to see the light. The Ralliart has some great features for it's price, and even the regular lancers have good warranties. It's just one of those things where if people don't know much about the brand, they won't buy it.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by cbr1000
I've never really liked leftlanenews.com

Someone from Mitsubishi is retiring. No big deal.

I personally think that all of what's going on at the normal IL plant is going to bring cheaper prices to evo... why?

Right now EVO's are made in Japan and shipped here. They are going to do away with older platforms and it would be cheaper for mits to make EVO in US and ship small cars from Japan..

I guess we will see what happens, but I laugh at the idea Mitsubishi will pull out of the US.

I'm guessing the 350hp turbodiesal hybrid will come from IL in 2013, but that's just a guess.

LOL agreed
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi needs a solid, well built mid size sedan with an upscale look/feel period. Most other manufacturers make their money through their mid-size models.

I hope that the galant will be the one available with 350hp and also with an hybrid option.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xdmitrix
Mitsubishi is large corporation, they have divisions that make TVs, appliances, etc. They are HUGE. They probably do lose a little money selling cars in NA, they are probably waiting for people to see the light. The Ralliart has some great features for it's price, and even the regular lancers have good warranties. It's just one of those things where if people don't know much about the brand, they won't buy it.
Most of their lineup is garbage. Even the Lancer is absolutely poor compared to its competition, and its only advantage is it's *slightly* cheaper. Get in a Civic and then a Lancer at the same price, and there's no way a rational consumer would buy the Lancer. My Civic shames my Evo in practically every category but performance. The Ralliart is outclassed by a WRX that's more than $2k cheaper and 300 lbs lighter.

People aren't "seeing the light", because there is no light to see. With the exception of the Evo, the lineup is poor and the sales numbers reflect that.

Like Jamdown says, they need a decent mid-size car. Until they have one that can compete, they're staying at the bottom of the heap. They made a very smart move making the "Evo look" part of the brand identity, but that can only go so far.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RunningRings
THEY WILL MAKE A EVO IX!!! I went into a dealership here in arizona and they are already showcasing it in magizines! Its going to look similar to the evo x but have 350hp stock! So its going to be good but i dont think there will be one in 2012... no biggie! The XI is going to be the best of the evo so far!
They already made a IX.

Seriously though since long before I joined this forum this rumor has been circulating.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Sep 14, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Most of their lineup is garbage. Even the Lancer is absolutely poor compared to its competition, and its only advantage is it's *slightly* cheaper. Get in a Civic and then a Lancer at the same price, and there's no way a rational consumer would buy the Lancer. My Civic shames my Evo in practically every category but performance. The Ralliart is outclassed by a WRX that's more than $2k cheaper and 300 lbs lighter.

People aren't "seeing the light", because there is no light to see. With the exception of the Evo, the lineup is poor and the sales numbers reflect that.

Like Jamdown says, they need a decent mid-size car. Until they have one that can compete, they're staying at the bottom of the heap. They made a very smart move making the "Evo look" part of the brand identity, but that can only go so far.
i totally disagree. the lancer is a fine competitor. it doesnt have to be better, just good enough to be relevant. the lancer doesnt sell because of bad brand recognition not so much as the car itself. the lancer name has been marred by the horrific cars of the recent past and mitsu's bad brand image on the whole . feature for feature, the lancer is a good value. but people dont wanna buy a mitsu just like they didnt want a hyundai in the 90's...

now galant vs anything... THAT'S the problem... mid-size is the bread and butter of the car industry. you MUST at least TRY to be competitive here... the rise of hyundai started with the last gen sonata. and the current star is this gen sonata. no coincidence...

Last edited by madfast; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:40 PM

You know what i meant! lol XI not IX

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
They already made a IX.

Seriously though since long before I joined this forum this rumor has been circulating.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:09 PM

I don't know... They have two new introductions that I think might have an audience in America. The Jellybean on wheels i MIEV and the Outlander Sport. Oh, yeah and the US spec Colt. With Mitsubishi's shift from Rally to small fuel efficient cars I think they have a great strategy. It does seem like they need to focus on marketing. Anything can be pushed into high ROI's but really what it comes down to is marketability (Lady Gaga anyone?).

Look at what Hyundai is doing. They were able to reshape their look, and get a good footing on their products. I don't know five, six years ago people wouldn't dare mention the name Hyundai as a car they were thinking about purchasing. But with the Gensis and the introduction of the Equus they're defiantly becoming the "luxury" brand that was envisioned years ago. Not to mention a refreshed look for the entire line-up including the Kia brand (Yes I understand not everyone can hire someone like Peter Schreyer but hey it's possible)

I wouldn't say that they're pulling out so fast just because someone resigned and they're not going to restaff the position. Yeah, the economy may have been a reason why they didn't announce someone coming in to take in the spot. But, really one job may be the start of the end? I doubt it, I would think a mass lay-off and a closing a several dealerships would trigger the idea "yeah, maybe they are headed out."

I love Mitsubishi, and I don't care what people think of the brand. I have smashed up my Lancer, and it still runs like a champ. Yeah, it is cheap- but I think that's what add's to the funky off beat "little-bro" Mitsubishi image.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by starwind
I don't know... They have two new introductions that I think might have an audience in America. The Jellybean on wheels i MIEV and the Outlander Sport. Oh, yeah and the US spec Colt. With Mitsubishi's shift from Rally to small fuel efficient cars I think they have a great strategy. It does seem like they need to focus on marketing. Anything can be pushed into high ROI's but really what it comes down to is marketability (Lady Gaga anyone?).
i may eat my words but this is what i think right now.

outlander sport: this one is going to be moderately successful like the full size outlander. will probably be mitsu's best seller in america.

why? it does a LOT of things right. fuse, price, design, mileage, functionality,size... its a great car should be really really good.

whats holding it back? a crap 2.0L 148 hp engine. they couldnt even put the 2.4L in it? the problem with this is that once this car comes out, the mags will review it and it'll get a mediocre score. it'll probably come in second or third in comparos and people simply wont care. they NEED to shoot for the stars. they NEED to use the parts that they DO ALREADY have and make the best use of it. it BOGGLES THE MIND how they have a 2.4L and DONT USE IT!!! their first impression is a subpar one and even it it comes out later, people would have forgotten about it by then...

CASE IN POINT: 2008 2.0L LANCER GTS vs 2009 2.4L LANCER GTS... if they simply came out with the 2.4 originally, they would have a much more favorable first impression. win a few comparos or take second and let the magazines SELL their car instead of KILL its appeal...

next gen colt? it will be small and weak. talks of a 1.3L engine? seriously? in america? who is dumb enough to even try to sell that car? they NEED to have at LEAST a 1.5L or more to compete with the FIT. its a MUST!!!

iMIEV? that car is a joke...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by madfast
i may eat my words but this is what i think right now.

outlander sport: this one is going to be moderately successful like the full size outlander. will probably be mitsu's best seller in america.

why? it does a LOT of things right. fuse, price, design, mileage, functionality,size... its a great car should be really really good.

whats holding it back? a crap 2.0L 148 hp engine. they couldnt even put the 2.4L in it? the problem with this is that once this car comes out, the mags will review it and it'll get a mediocre score. it'll probably come in second or third in comparos and people simply wont care. they NEED to shoot for the stars. they NEED to use the parts that they DO ALREADY have and make the best use of it. it BOGGLES THE MIND how they have a 2.4L and DONT USE IT!!! their first impression is a subpar one and even it it comes out later, people would have forgotten about it by then...

CASE IN POINT: 2008 2.0L LANCER GTS vs 2009 2.4L LANCER GTS... if they simply came out with the 2.4 originally, they would have a much more favorable first impression. win a few comparos or take second and let the magazines SELL their car instead of KILL its appeal...

next gen colt? it will be small and weak. talks of a 1.3L engine? seriously? in america? who is dumb enough to even try to sell that car? they NEED to have at LEAST a 1.5L or more to compete with the FIT. its a MUST!!!

iMIEV? that car is a joke...
I don't know that I agree with the technical portions of what you said but, I absolutely agree that they need to start doing something to have better outcomes in the magazine shootouts.

The only car of theirs that I can recall that has ever won one of them is the Evo. Everything else is an also ran and never excels at anything. I mean pick a market and go for. It's OK if the interior sucks as long as it's sporty and fun to drive. Or if it is slow as mollasses it damn well better have a nice enough interior and good fuel mileage to make me forget about a Smart handing me my *** away from a light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo X = Last Evo in North America?