Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

2015 Evo Gsr

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Evo Gsr

So currently I own a 2008 Honda s2000 cr, a chevy s10 and a gsxr 750. The cr does not come with ac or a radio, and in my s10 the radio doesnt work and I have no air. Basically I was looking at getting either a 2015 evo gsr or a 2015 wrx sti. I test drove a 2015 wrx and a 2014 evo gsr and while i was expecting to go in and love the wrx because I was never a mitsu fan but that was not the case. I really liked the feel and driving of the evo compare to the sti. So i researched a bunch and asked some people what they thought and I felt like many people just had negitive things to say about mitsu. Why is it that mitsu has such a bad rep with their cars? And what do you think about the 2015 gsr's? Are they good cars? I know they took out the recaro seats per safety regulations with the side airbags, but I prolly will change the stock seats if they are crap anyways. Besides that is the 2015 gar a good purchase or should I go a different root? I know this is an wvo forum but all input and help is appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitsu actually makes really reliable cars and X's have been really good after the 2008MY, if you are interested in the new scoobys I would say get the NON STI WRX since it has the new motor...the sti has the old motor in with piston ring issues if you start adding power to the car and they do not accept mods nearly as well as any evo...but it kinda sounds like you answered your own question in a way...the most important thing is how you feel when driving the cars...STIs do nothing for me and probably many others here that's why were in evos...still respect the cars but I like to actually DRIVE and evos are hard to beat for that...if you plan on switching the seats then go for a 15MY I love the stock seats and wouldn't change them unless I was stripping the car for weight but to each their own...good luck with the decision!!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ogrenator
Mitsu actually makes really reliable cars and X's have been really good after the 2008MY, if you are interested in the new scoobys I would say get the NON STI WRX since it has the new motor...the sti has the old motor in with piston ring issues if you start adding power to the car and they do not accept mods nearly as well as any evo...but it kinda sounds like you answered your own question in a way...the most important thing is how you feel when driving the cars...STIs do nothing for me and probably many others here that's why were in evos...still respect the cars but I like to actually DRIVE and evos are hard to beat for that...if you plan on switching the seats then go for a 15MY I love the stock seats and wouldn't change them unless I was stripping the car for weight but to each their own...good luck with the decision!!
Thanks for the response. I really just dont get why mitsu gets no respect from alot of people and why the believe the cars are pieces of crap. I also heard something about the quality of the evo engines and people blowing them up. Any more insight on anything is really appreciated.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

what's wrong with 2008MY? i have over 122k miles one mine with no issue so far.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

ImEv0 I was talking about the stretched timing chain issue that was fixed and the fuel relay that was also changed...but those were isolated issues...and OP as far as blowing the block....being aluminum they can only hold so much torque while stock....if you keep it below like 375-400 awtq you will be ok and good tuners now know how to make the tunes safe and efficient...once you sleeve the block you can do whatever you want and be fine
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:45 AM

ImEv0 I was talking about the stretched timing chain issue that was fixed and the fuel relay that was also changed...but those were isolated issues...and OP as far as blowing the block....being aluminum they can only hold so much torque while stock....if you keep it below like 375-400 awtq you will be ok and good tuners now know how to make the tunes safe and efficient...once you sleeve the block you can do whatever you want and be fine
More good information, thanks. I really was almost talking myself out of getting an evo because of all the bad talk I was hearing. Mostly from people who don't really know I think, but still.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

I think in order to curtail the misconception that evos blow up all the time, make sure when putting up a video of your car, to mention that your engine did not blow up during the video as shown in the video.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Those that talked badly about Mitsubishi obviously never have driven an Evo
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:38 PM

Ya i do not know why so many people perceive mitsu as a poorly made car. This is why i found myself here, because i really liked driving the car and more then the sti. I was all ready to pick one up/order one when all these people were saying that they a pos cars that will break down, not last, and or blow up.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

most surprising of all is I haven't seen any of the high HP ones blow up..the 1000+ X is going strong I think and last I saw the 3DX evo is supposed to be making more power soon...and people keep making them faster and faster...Culo in Puerto Rico should be breaking 8's soon...and you are close to E-Spec....they have been making crazy progress with X's in the last few years
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

No recaros for 2015??that sucks
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's an article I read on Yahoo/USA today...somewhere.. pertaining to brand loyalty in the automotive industry....Mitsubishi ranked the lowest. The #1 ranking is in fact the #1 loser in this article... Others on this list are Chrysler, Dodge, Jaguar and Scion.

Found Here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...mped/14121469/

1. Mitsubishi

> Average loyalty: 21.77%
> 2014 Vehicle sales (Jan. – Jun.): 39,672 (9th lowest)
> Dependability – problems per 100 vehicles: 166 (6th highest)
> Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Group

"Not only have less than 22% of Mitsubishi owners said they intend to buy another Mitsubishi over the past two years, but the brand's loyalty rating fell 16% between the second quarters of 2012 and 2014, the largest decline of any make. Despite receiving among the worst ratings from J.D. Power's dependability study — 166 problems were reported per 100 vehicles — Mitsubishi sales have rebounded in recent years. Between the first halves of 2013 and this year, vehicle sales rose 30.2%, more than all but one other brand reviewed by Kelley Blue Book. According to Henry, Mitsubishi is "very niche in terms of what they offer — they have a lot of small cars, and small SUVs," so when owners look for a different type of car they turn to other brands like Toyota."

We obviously love our evos...but..like the above paragraph implies, Mitsubishi is in a niche market which they offer primarily small cars and suv's....you need anything other than that, you look elsewhere.

I can't speak on reliability for other Mitsubishi's but my Evo has been very reliable thanks to regular maintenance and having an ear/eye for any subtle changes in performance, engine noise and the feedback my car gives me when she's not running right....if you are the kind of owner who relies on the CEL to tell you something is wrong and needing your attention or count on the oil change reminder stickies on your windshield to tell you when you need your next oil change, then you are simply increasing the potential unreliability of your Evo.....or, IMHO, any car for that matter.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Here's an article I read on Yahoo/USA today...somewhere.. pertaining to brand loyalty in the automotive industry....Mitsubishi ranked the lowest. The #1 ranking is in fact the #1 loser in this article... Others on this list are Chrysler, Dodge, Jaguar and Scion.

Found Here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...mped/14121469/

1. Mitsubishi

> Average loyalty: 21.77%
> 2014 Vehicle sales (Jan. – Jun.): 39,672 (9th lowest)
> Dependability – problems per 100 vehicles: 166 (6th highest)
> Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Group

"Not only have less than 22% of Mitsubishi owners said they intend to buy another Mitsubishi over the past two years, but the brand's loyalty rating fell 16% between the second quarters of 2012 and 2014, the largest decline of any make. Despite receiving among the worst ratings from J.D. Power's dependability study — 166 problems were reported per 100 vehicles — Mitsubishi sales have rebounded in recent years. Between the first halves of 2013 and this year, vehicle sales rose 30.2%, more than all but one other brand reviewed by Kelley Blue Book. According to Henry, Mitsubishi is "very niche in terms of what they offer — they have a lot of small cars, and small SUVs," so when owners look for a different type of car they turn to other brands like Toyota."

We obviously love our evos...but..like the above paragraph implies, Mitsubishi is in a niche market which they offer primarily small cars and suv's....you need anything other than that, you look elsewhere.

I can't speak on reliability for other Mitsubishi's but my Evo has been very reliable thanks to regular maintenance and having an ear/eye for any subtle changes in performance, engine noise and the feedback my car gives me when she's not running right....if you are the kind of owner who relies on the CEL to tell you something is wrong and needing your attention or count on the oil change reminder stickies on your windshield to tell you when you need your next oil change, then you are simply increasing the potential unreliability of your Evo.....or, IMHO, any car for that matter.
Thats actually pretty crazy. I guess its a good thing that the numbers have been picking up since 2013 though, otherwise I might be really worried.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SpoonTunage
Thanks for the response. I really just dont get why mitsu gets no respect from alot of people and why the believe the cars are pieces of crap. I also heard something about the quality of the evo engines and people blowing them up. Any more insight on anything is really appreciated.
The Evo accounts for a very, very small amount of what Mitsubishi sells, whether you are going by how many cars are in their lineup or the percentage of sales. And most of the other cars are decent/mediocre or crappy, and people who don't really know about the Evo other than what it looks like will typically assume that the Evo is no better.

Most of the Evos that end up having engine problems are usually putting out a lot of power or were just abused (typically in the form of poor maintenance) by their owners. The engine definitely has a waaay better track record than the STI's 2.5 in pretty much every way.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I was in your boat a year ago, and decided on EVOX. For one, I think it looks better than STI. I never drove the STI before buying EVOX, but after reading of ring-land problem with modding STI, I stop considering it. Although I find STI interior to be better than EVOX.

If you are worry about reliability, I suggest you leave the car stock, because once you start modding your car, then anything goes. To avoid a heartbreak, you will need to dig deep in your research of modding, and a lot of good information can be found here in this forum.

If you trust yourself with working on your car, I would recommend doing that, simply because you will gain more confidence and know how your car works in the process. The fact is, nobody will care more about your car than you do. If something you do not trust yourself doing, then go find a good shop, there will always be one near you that people here will recommend.

There are actually a few in this forum that move from STI to EVOX.

Quick Reply: 2015 Evo Gsr