Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

wow. im happy to be an '03

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2004, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing they cannot take away from us 03 owners is we are the first run of U.S. Evos. I don't know it that's a good thing, but it sounds good.

I cannot drive my Evo to its limits and probably never will so the MR's ACD, LSD won't be more than a bragging thing. Who cares about the dark grey color; you can buy the vortex spoiler; coilovers that are better than the MR's stock suspension; buy new wheels that look 100x better than the MR's stock wheels; lightweight roof, big deal; 6 speeds = more shifting; a little more HP, got there, surpassed it already, big deal; audio package, aftermarket is always better.

If I didn't already own one, I would be interested but probably be very hard to get since they will be so limited and dealers will do the markup thing as they did with the '03s. I'd rather get the RS for the price.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, what does it matter to you if I like and plan to buy an MR? I like VIIIs just fine. I would like a TME even better but who cares? In this car series it will be very hard to have the latest and greatest for any length of time. I hope the Evo IXs kick a**.

Wow I'm glad it doesn't matter to me.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

I am also VERY happy with my 03. For the difference in price between an 03 and an 04MR you can buy parts to make the 03 run circles around the MR. LSD, ACD, and 6MT, would be nice if you track your car religiously, but if I tracked my car religously I would be more interested in an RS. Seems to me that the MR is just a 'status symbol' evo (if such a thing exists). If I had it to do all over, I would still buy the same thing I have now
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

The only thing I'd be interested in from the 05s is the front LSD. But once quaife comes out w/ the front LSD for us, it'll be easily retrofittable so there's nothing to worry about!
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
an MR with the same or similar mods will be faster in a straight line. .
Yeah, but the MR will also cost about 3 grand more, so if you hold the mods constant, the MR will still have about 3 grand more worth of work.

If you hold the PRICE constant, with respect to mods, the regular EVO will win out because 3 grand can do a lot.

With the MR, unless you really want to ACD and the 6-spd, you get less return for your modifications.

Regular evos get much more of a gain from changing the stock suspension, and the stock wheels, etc.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

so what? put $10k into an SRT-4 and it'll smoke the evo, '03 or MR. the point is: buy what you like 'cuz there's always something faster.

Last edited by Tanner_Hall; Jun 27, 2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

I wonder what the ride will be like in the MR.

If the handling is improved significantly, won't the already "harsh" ride be even worse?

And, if this is the case, we can just upgrade to some Muellerized JIC coilovers for about $2000 for even better handling.

Some people feel that the stock EVO is barely tolerable as a daily driver, I can't imagine the MR being as compliant.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

so what? put $10k into an SRT-4 and it'll smoke the evo, '03 or MR. the point is: buy what you like 'cuz there's always something faster.
Now you're starting to compare apples to oranges. The srt-4 is Front Wheel Drive, aside from the fact that its a whole 'nother car.

I can spend 7k on a muscle car, and it'll be faster than an evo in a striaght line too. But smart guy, that wasn't what the issue was.

We were comparing the MR and the REGULAR EVO. . . and re: that comparision, what i said still stands.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

yes alex. you are right.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dpardo
I wonder what the ride will be like in the MR.

If the handling is improved significantly, won't the already "harsh" ride be even worse?

And, if this is the case, we can just upgrade to some Muellerized JIC coilovers for about $2000 for even better handling.

Some people feel that the stock EVO is barely tolerable as a daily driver, I can't imagine the MR being as compliant.

The MR is exactly that, more compliant than an VII. The ride is supposed to be much improved with as is the roadholding. I don’t think VIIIs ride that bad anyway. There is only one fastest Evo in world. None of us here own it, so what does it matter?

I happen to like the MR for many reasons, many of which can not be added on to any VIII. I do like the larger outlet stock turbo and the improved boost solenoid system, wastegate and 1G diverter valve. I like the current 5-speed just fine but if the US MR gets the new steel syncros that the UK models have, it will be very cool. I won’t be upgrading the turbo since response and a wide powerband is more important to me than peak power. The front TORSEN and ACD are very important for me. For the world market the MR is a small 8.5 step foreword. But for the US market it is a pretty significant upgrade.

MR will be very nice according to all the reviews, I have read. I will reserve my final judgment until I get to drive mine for a while.

Again all that being said I hope the Evo IX kicks all of our butts. That is the only way to improve.

If I had a ’03 I would keep it and be very happy I was looking into a front TORSEN upgrade for the VIIIs until the RS was announced. I did not find anything that I would call a quality, fairly priced upgrade. Has that changed?

Last edited by erikgj; Jun 27, 2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
Now you're starting to compare apples to oranges. The srt-4 is Front Wheel Drive, aside from the fact that its a whole 'nother car.

I can spend 7k on a muscle car, and it'll be faster than an evo in a striaght line too. But smart guy, that wasn't what the issue was.

We were comparing the MR and the REGULAR EVO. . . and re: that comparision, what i said still stands.
ok smart guy. i DEFY you to purchase an LSD, coilovers, better turbo, wastgate, ACD, 6MT - AND get them installed - all for for $3K or less. won't happen. the MR is an improvement...deal with it.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

ok smart guy. i DEFY you to purchase an LSD, coilovers, better turbo, wastgate, ACD, 6MT - AND get them installed - all for for $3K or less. won't happen. the MR is an improvement...deal with it.

But thats exactly the point. I CAN'T buy the MR factory springs and shocks, the factory turbo, the factory wastegate, and the factory wheels, for cheaper than 3,000. But i can, for double the 3k (i.e. 6k), get aftermarket products that outperform the "stock" MR equipment at least two-fold. Are you still following?

No one is arguing that the MR isn't an improvement. . . but to the extent that you wish to further modify your car, paying extra for the "better" stuff on the MR isn't worth it.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
paying extra for the "better" stuff on the MR isn't worth it.
that's true if you're building an all-out track or drag car, and plan on replacing all of the stock parts anyway. but for most of us who want a very fast but liveable car, and want to keep some semblance of warranty coverage, the MR is a great option...well worth paying the extra ~$3k over an '03.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

that's true if you're building an all-out track or drag car, and plan on replacing all of the stock parts anyway. but for most of us who want a very fast but liveable car, and want to keep some semblance of warranty coverage, the MR is a great option...well worth paying the extra ~$3k over an '03.
Well, i must agree, at least in part, with what you said about the warranty. Most people do not factor that in, assuming that Mitsubishi is generally assenine in proceeding with claims. . . but assuming that all valid warranty claims are honored . . . there is certainly the benefit of having the "semi-performance" parts on the MR covered under the warranty.