Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Utec for GT35R??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Yes i am using the GT35r and a Utec. The Utec has its small bugs but they arent anything to do with the turbo. Like the stutterbox crap and no anti-lag provisions. However I have installed a simple switch that I have on my shifter which is acting as my clutch switch to enable/disable the launch control. On to your points about the 35r. It is PLENTY streetable however get used to lag. If you dont mind it go for it. Me and Nate from DSMotorsports have made a good thread about the lag of different turbos using logs from plenty of different Evos with different turbos which show true spoolup... not word of mouth crap. I drive mine daily and dont see any reason anyone couldnt. The only thing is get used to no autocrossing or any quick spool type stuff like that.

The stock maf is still working for me and at lower boost (26-27) the car traps at 123.5. I have ran the turbo at 30psi but my clutch started to fail but the maf was still reading the air correctly.

I will also be trying out a GM MAF with a DSM Translater and use the Utec to scale the airflow down or up to where it should be (The injector compensation thing in the Utec should work for this) and once it is close I will fine tune it just like the stock MAF. Once I get some time to drop the clutch in I will try out the GM maf and post up my results.

would the 35r be worth it if it spooled a littler slower? i am at an elevation that is 6000ft above sea level, so spool up time would be delayed. i thought about a 2.3 but dont know if its still worth it since it would be the same as running the car on the 2.0 at sea level. my only other option is Nos, not sure if i want to go that route or if its safe to go that route.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:40 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't mind spending slightly more and investing time to learn your engine management AEM is the better route. My MAF gave me a headache with my gt35r. It caught turbulence and always made my car misfire at Interstate speeds at part throttle. MAP is a beautiful thing. Car runs almost as good as stock. I just need to tweak my cold start a bit, but it is no worse than my car was on the stock ecu with my mods (cold start that is). Everything else including part throttle let off and cruising is way better. You might be able to control this with the Utec too I dunno? I say get away from that MAF sensor though. The trick is to have a buddy that runs a 10 second talon help you tune your car and then learn off of that My car has one day of tuning in it. We will see this weekend how it runs. It felt pretty damn good at 25psi and only 10 degrees of timing though. That produced almost 0 knock on 110 octane. Will be running 116 this weekend with 2 more degree of timing.

Last edited by fre; Aug 25, 2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fre
If you don't mind spending slightly more and investing time to learn your engine management AEM is the better route. My MAF gave me a headache with my gt35r. It caught turbulence and always made my car misfire at Interstate speeds at part throttle. MAP is a beautiful thing. Car runs almost as good as stock. I just need to tweak my cold start a bit, but it is no worse than my car was on the stock ecu with my mods (cold start that is). Everything else including part throttle let off and cruising is way better. You might be able to control this with the Utec too I dunno? I say get away from that MAF sensor though. The trick is to have a buddy that runs a 10 second talon help you tune your car and then learn off of that My car has one day of tuning in it. We will see this weekend how it runs. It felt pretty damn good at 25psi and only 10 degrees of timing though. That produced almost 0 knock on 110 octane. Will be running 116 this weekend with 2 more degree of timing.
Although I don't agree with you with the advantages of speed density, I do agree that the stock MAF has issues (hence why I no longer use it) however, you have to understand there are other reasons people stick with a stock ECU based solution.. Aside from cold start, drivability, etc.. Many of us have to contend with OBD-II and Emission inspections..
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:46 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Although I don't agree with you with the advantages of speed density, I do agree that the stock MAF has issues (hence why I no longer use it) however, you have to understand there are other reasons people stick with a stock ECU based solution.. Aside from cold start, drivability, etc.. Many of us have to contend with OBD-II and Emission inspections..
You don't have to agree my car is living proof that it CAN make your car more driveable if you know how to tune it. Couldn't do that on the MAF that's for sure.... stalling and misfires up the butt. I will never register my car in a place that requires emissions so that isn't an issue. You can't even argue the extra power potential of an open face turbo either. My car is more driveable on 880cc injectors than it ever was with 660s on the stock ecu. THe only reason I see to go with a piggy back or flash is because you don't want to learn how to use an aem. I could switch back to MAF for an inspection in like an hour. Just unplug two harnesses plug in two other swap the ecu and intake in and walla.

Last edited by fre; Aug 25, 2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, the OBD-II issue is a major thing for me.. I am running a blowthrough sensor so I actually benefit in the same way you have. Only I didn't have the option of running the AEM because of OBD-II.. Funny part is I can easily swap a stock MAF back on, or any of the stock equipment. But I always was concerned that if I had swapped to an AEM, I would have other problems swapping back to a stock ECU for inspections.. My car is certainly a unique animal and anyone who has heard/ridden in it, can attest to the car's better drivability and idle quality than stock..

I definitely feel the stock MAF has its issues like you described.. But I don't run a stock MAF for that reason.