Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

High Exhaust Temperatures

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Exhaust Temperatures

My EGT gauge is reading more than 1800 degrees at 5K rpm's and up(it's hooked up at the exhaust manifold.) Does anyone know what stock evo's run? I'm not sure if a evo 6.5 TME has all the same features as an 8 or anything but 1800 seems very high. If you guys know why or what i can do to cool it down (I have stock intercooler with the spray and water injection.) I have a good amount of work done. If anyone knows whats going on I'd appreciate the help. I don't know if it might have something to do with the injectors, I have some ralliart ecu that is supposed to remap everything but i dont know the parameters since I got it with the car. I was thinking of getting bigger injectors and getting a standalone FMS eventually, so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by evolution6.5TM; Oct 26, 2005 at 09:17 PM. Reason: additions
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Too hot!! If I converted that right that's 982 degrees C which will melt stuff. you need to not run it so hard and get a standalone and tune it. Any would work, just choose which one works with a 6.5 EVO. Which runner is your EGT probe in? Runner #1 is supposed to be the most accurate but I don't know if that changes or not with your setup. Do you have antilag on your manifold? If so that might change the EGT's but you need someone smarter than me for that.

Originally Posted by evolution6.5TM
My EGT gauge is reading more than 1800 degrees at 5K rpm's and up(it's hooked up at the exhaust manifold.) Does anyone know what stock evo's run? I'm not sure if a evo 6.5 TME has all the same features as an 8 or anything but 1800 seems very high. If you guys know why or what i can do to cool it down (I have stock intercooler with the spray and water injection.) I have a good amount of work done. If anyone knows whats going on I'd appreciate the help. I don't know if it might have something to do with the injectors, I have some ralliart ecu that is supposed to remap everything but i dont know the parameters since I got it with the car. I was thinking of getting bigger injectors and getting a standalone FMS eventually, so any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

If we knew where you live we(board members) could refer you to a tuner.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolution6.5TM
is that during cruise or wide open throttle?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Add timing, or add fuel, or add water injection, or all of the above depending on your state of tune?

I've seen Saab engines pushing 2,000*F, but those particular engines had Nimonic (like Inconel) exhaust valves. Even still, Nimonic and Inconel are only reliable to 1850*F- it takes a special alloy like Waspaloy, Haynes Multimet Alloy, Alloy 188, or Hastalloy Alloy-X to withstand 2,000*F over long periods.

What are the Evo's exhaust valves made from anyway? Nevermind that some of the turbines are not inconel and shouldn't be pushed past 1,600*F either.

Sorry for not being more helpfull.

-Adrian
Old Oct 28, 2005, 04:51 AM

Ah yeah I live in upstate NY, Albany area. The probe is in #3 I believe and yeah it's at WOT(I run about 20-23psi) but I dont drive it hard all the time. Under normal conditions it's around 1100. I dont know about the manifold either I'll have to look into that. Thanks though.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

What is your complete list of mods?
And what type of engine management are you running?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:25 AM

I have a complete JIC exhaust 3" downpipe back. Greddy profec B spec II boost controller. Greddy type R BOV, Water Injection, HKS intake, adjustable FPR. I believe thats everything. I'm getting forged pistons, cam and springs soon as well as bigger injectors. As for now i have no EMS i'm just using the ralliart ecu which has an extended rev limiter and new fuel maps. I was just thinking that the injectors couldnt keep up with the high boost that I run.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

We're upstate as well. I'd be happy to help you get the car straightened out. For now turn down the boost on your profec until you're maxxing around 1600 degrees. Check to see if your water injection system is operating properly.

Vacuum line and charge pipe leaks are very common causes of high EGTs as well due to overspinning the turbo to a point where it's terribly inefficient. You might as well check for this while you're at it.

Give us a call if you have any questions. 716-674-2334

-Mike

Last edited by Inn-Tune; Oct 28, 2005 at 12:32 PM.